The pairing that I alluded to in my previous post was a race featuring Dennis Taylor's high flying 55 Chevy gasser called "Bad Rattitude" in the right lane, already on it's second set of front wheels, and the equally unique 69 Triumph TR6 of Ed Olson with a big inch, turbo charged Pontiac for power!

Dennis and the 55 got out first, as Ed spooled up, so even though both cars ran nearly the same ET., 9.14-152 for the '55 to an 8.93-152 for the TR6, Dennis hit the stripe well ahead of the Triumph and dumped the laundry. The 55 slowed hard immediately, but Ed let the little roadster settle down for a couple hundred feet before he really applied some brake. Watching the live feed replay in slow motion and overlaying my own shutdown experience over the scene you can see the exact moment that Ed comes to the realization that Dennis is going to exit and he's going way too fast to avoid him. To Dennis' credit it appears that he was watching Ed and had prepared to keep to his lane if necessary, but Ed bombed the brakes, lost the rear end on the Triumph and flat spun into the 55's lane and off into the grass! Had the right lane wall extended all the way down the return, the awesome little TR6 would be a crumpled mess, but Ed simply collected his thoughts for a moment and drove back onto the tarmac before the Ambulance and track safety crew chased him down!

triumph.jpgtriumph 2.jpgTriumph 3.jpgIMG_0630.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines