Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
We ended up putting 5 different carbs on the motor, and all were briefly tested for part throttle operation.
At a variety of low loads(35-80-ish hp), at a variety of rpm's(2200-3200), looking at A/F ratios being displayed from the flow turbines and a Daytona Sensors wide band showed that none of the 5 had what either of us considered "acceptable" part throttle operation...... with the best of them being in the low-12's, and some in the 11.0-11.2 range.
They worked perfectly well to use on a "race car", but wouldn't be the hot ticket on the street(in their current configuration).

I can't believe I'm going to say this........but........this is an example of a good argument for EFI.

Yep, Holley carbs are almost always rich in the mid-range. On the dyno you can crutch it by turning the idle screws in since you don't usually need the idle circuit on the dyno. On a street car it needs to be sorted out. On the dyno we typically use the idle screws to get the mid-range cleaned up and then use the main jets for WOT. It takes way too much time to mess with the PVCRs during testing. Besides, it all changes once the engine goes in the car so no reason to mess with the carb twice.

And I agree with your EFI comment. Once you start tuning EFI engines you'll wonder why people waste their time with carbs!

Last edited by AndyF; 10/22/17 10:23 PM.