Street Race Small Block Power Adder
While the big block 8.50 class had been a two car battle for the most part, the small block field for 2016 was really stacked, and really tight, so a small misstep could take you out of the running quickly. Eight different cars showed the ability to run on or below the 8.50 number during the week, but consistently keeping it there, with only a couple of hits per day, in a small tire car that you are driving from track to track is a very difficult feat.

Matt Martin's 85 Ford LTD (a four door fox body) managed an 8.57-166 on Thursday, but a host of problems the other days slowed his average to 9.00. Alex Taylor showed up at Drag Week 2013 with her mom as her co-pilot and the 16 year old ran 11.90's in her "Badmaro" 68 Camaro. Now a college student attending her fourth Drag Week, she ran a best of 8.58-161, but time slips in the 8.70's to start the week kept her out of contention in the class as well.

Ralph Hoke and his silver 68 Nova completed their 7th Drag Week in 2016, a journey that started out in the low 12's and saw them turn in passes of 8.51, 8.55, and 8.56 this year. Those numbers were easily good enough for a top three finish, but an 8.88 to start the week, coupled with an 8.87 on Wednesday relegated them to sixth...yeah, it was a tough crowd! Jason Doisher's tan 84 Mercury Marquis wagon (pictured in an earlier post) was easily the most consistent car in SRSBPA, but it was consistently a tenth slow! Every single time slip he turned in was between 8.63-8.67, all at either 157 or 158 mph. Scott Klepinger's white third gen Camaro put down incredible numbers Tuesday through Friday with an 8.56, 8.58, 8.60, and 8.56 to come within three thousandths in average to a top three finish, but his fate was sealed on the first day, when he had to accept an 8.87 at only 127. Alex Corella's Red 93 Mustang turned in an average of 8.635 to take home the third place plaque, and get his early invite to Drag Week 2017. Alex Taylor's 7th place average was 8.680, it was that tight between those five competitors!

Defending class winner Chris Bishir with his unassuming 82 S-10, and John Dodson's light blue 80 Malibu were just a step ahead of the rest though, right from the beginning of the week. 8.54 to 8.59 on Monday, meant Bishir left National Trail with five hundredths in his pocket. They would trade only .002 between them over the next three days, so coming into Friday, all Bishir had to do to guarantee a back to back class win was run 8.548 or better.

Chris in the S-10 opened with an 8.70, and neither had turned in anything not in the fifties all week, so that was a simple shot across the bow. John made a beautiful, arrow straight run in the Malibu, and lit up the board with an amazing 8.498! Two thousandths from a perfect run, and all for naught! The next pass for Bishir saw the S-10 stumble at half track and coast to a 9.99.

"Did he just break it?" I looked at Boone.
"Well...If he did, he's still got that 8.70 to fall back on, which would keep him in the lead, unless John can run an 8.65 or better."
"He's been able to run better than that all week", Dale added.
"True", Boone laughed, "but this is Friday, and it's been a long week, so anything can happen!"
"Chris Bishir has ran some pretty low buck LS combinations in that S-10", Lohnes boomed over the PA, "and the one weakness he's shown over the years is head gaskets, so we will have to see if he can make it back!"

Dodson's Malibu came back an hour later and made the same picture perfect pass as it had before, but this time the score board lit up with an 8.505 at 159.6! The brothers and I found ourselves on our feet clapping as the CBK team went crazy on the starting line!
"Mic drop right there", Dale shook his head, "Five thou on the good side, that was impressive!"

John and his Texas buddies went from elation to nervousness in a matter of seven minutes as Chris brought the silver S-10 back into the water box.
"Just needs to put it between 8.553 to 8.500", Boone explained.
"No problem for a Super Class racer, just a few clicks on the throttle stop timer", I joked.
"Yeah, except this is a small tire, turbocharged small block S-10 that has a thousand street miles under it's belt this week", Dale laughed.

The little Chevy truck left soft, but really ramped up the boost past sixty feet. A slight bit of smoke escaped from under the bed cover as Lohnes announced he was at 132 mph when he crossed the eighth.
"Eight Fifty With A One!! You have got to be kidding me! 164.99 was the speed as Chris' wife is giving people high fives down here on the starting line!" Lohnes was at his best letting the emotion flow through the microphone.
"Wow...I love Drag Week", Dale laughed.
"Simply amazing", I shook my head, and realized at that moment that we were once again on our feet.

14480754_10154694623693938_5465428060679586017_o.jpgalex-corella-fox-body-mustang-drag-strip.jpgdrag-week-tires.jpg1982-chevrolet-s10-cab.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines