When we entered the shop, Dale was putting the engine plate and water pump on the engine. He carefully placed the gaskets on both sides of the plate, with silicone on the multiple mating surfaces as well. We helped him hold everything in place while he started the bolts, then I eased back into a folding chair as promised.
He had the bolts nearly tight, then suddenly he stopped and let out a "what in the heck is going on"?
"The aluminum water pump housing is hitting the Milodon gear drive cover", Boone pointed out.
I had my head back and my eyes closed, but added my two cents anyway. "I thought you already had this engine in the car once?"
"I did, and it leaked water around the engine plate...that's why I was being so careful with the gaskets this time! Apparently I just cranked the bolts down that time, and since the engine had problems, never investigated it further."
I leaned forward and rubbed my face, "So...what are the options?"
"Space the water pump out", Boone suggested.
"I'd have to space the bottom pulley out too, and then change the alternator mount", Dale shook his head. "I'd like to avoid that altogether, I've got too much time into getting all that to work right the first time!"
"Pull the timing chain out of the 440...you know the stock cover will clear". I looked at the two of them, and began to worry this was a make or break moment, backwards was not a direction that interested them at all.
"I re-used the gear drive because I couldn't get the gear off the crank", Dale explained. "This engine was a nightmare to take apart. We had to chain the engine to the hoist legs, and use the hydraulic ram to remove the intake! Everything was glued together, and I was so aggravated by the time I got to the crank...I just left the gear on. I'm willing to go yank the stuff off the 440, but I'll be done if that gear doesn't come off!"

It took Boone and I nearly as long to find a puller in Dale's messy shop, as it did for him to return from the front garage with the cover and timing chain set off the wounded 440.
When he walked back in, I was trying to find a place to set his new fiberglass hood for the Duster.
"What do think of all my fiberglass?" He managed a weak smile, "You said there was no way I would get it all in two weeks!"
"Yeah...I'm amazed, I figured AAR/Stinger was just trying to get your dollars when they said it would make it on time. Looks like they were true to their word!"
"Hood, deck lid, and both bumpers", he pointed to stuff scattered throughout the shop, "and I'm thrilled with the quality!"
"Not a single piece installed yet, though", I retorted as I sat back down in my chair again.
"You get the gear off that crank yet?" He changed the subject.
"I'm just here to supervise..we need a bottle of nitrous to cool the crank, and a torch on the gear...it'll pop right off!"
"How about we just try the puller first?" Boone interjected.
I leaned back and closed my eyes again.

imagejpeg_0(12).jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines