We were instructed to take a right off Northfield Dr. onto IN-267 North. Essentially by running us north on 267 until we headed east on IN-32, they were taking us on a large loop over the top of Indianapolis proper, an even larger loop than I-465 which circles Indy already. Considering it was rush hour, they were doing us a big favor, and the lush green Indiana countryside was welcome scenery as well.

It was still very warm out though, and by the time I worked through the traffic trying to turn onto I-74, the 428 was pushing 220 degrees. My eyes would wander between the half-million dollar homes strategically placed on an acre and a half of prime Indiana farmland, and the temp gauge slowly creeping down to 210 for the next five miles or so. I rolled into thick traffic again at the overpass of I-65, which features a Loves Truck Stop nearby, and that bit of work pushed the temp back to 225. I cleared the bridge and eased around a left hand bend and glanced over to see three Drag Week cars on the left shoulder. It was the CBK team featuring James Karger's Fox coupe, Jason Doisher's Mercury (fox) wagon, and John Dodson's light blue 80 Malibu; three mid-eight second, small tire, LS turbo cars. The grove of mature trees on that side of the road was providing ample shade, and the guys had pulled off the road onto a freshly manicured grass bank. They weren't working on the cars, instead they had blankets lying on the grass bank, and appeared to be taking a nap in the cool shade. The scene was so idyllic, I wanted to turn around and join them but I doubted they would be keen on sharing a blanket with a fat Mopar guy!

Once I made the right turn onto IN-32, and started to head east, the sun was at my back, and the traffic was minimal, so the temp gauge settled back down to 210. The farmhouses in this area had asphalt driveways, pools, and multiple barns, shops, and outbuildings; definitely the high rent district!

Several miles later, I crested a hill, started into a low valley, and noticed triangles set out two or three feet into my lane. As I slowed and approached, I realized it was the Danes. The Green and Gold 34 coupe was broke down just past a narrow bridge, and they were unable to get completely off the road. They had Cristian Damgaard's massive 71 Impala behind it with his trailer, and the reflectors out, but it was still a very precarious position to be in, especially with the sun descending rapidly. As I passed, they gave me a thumbs up, and appeared to be working on the front tire, or brakes, or perhaps spindle, but I wasn't sure, I just hoped they could get out of there safely and quickly.

Once I crossed over US-31, and entered Westfield IN, my search for a suitable restaurant began in earnest. I passed by quite a few of the typical chains, but I was hoping for something a little more unique. I didn't see anything promising, so I continued on into Noblesville. Noblesville is the county seat of Hamilton County, and has nearly doubled in size over the last twenty years, obviously buoyed by Indy professionals looking to trade their urban digs in for a more upscale, country lifestyle. The options for eateries along this stretch of IN-32 expanded considerably, so I pulled into a Walgreens to ask a few locals. After the third glowing review for the Michaelangelos Italian Bistro across the street, I decided to walk over and check it out.
The host was a late twenties gal, friendly, and competent. I explained that I had a party of eight or nine, about fifteen minutes out, and she took me to a well lit room with hardwood flooring, nice furnishings, and a decent size TV with the preview for the Thursday night College Football game between Houston and Cincinnati already on. The waiter came in, also late twenties, friendly and competent. I helped him re-arrange the tables to suit us, and he asked if I wanted water for each guest. I knew the guys would kill the first glass before they were even seated, after such a long hot day, so this was a plus! After he had all the water, silverware, and placings set up, he asked if he should bring out salads ahead of their arrival. I agreed, so when the crew finally walked in, they were greeted with ice water already available, three large salad bowls with tongs in them paced strategically along the long table, and kick-off of an interesting game about to start. I leaned back in my chair, and extended my arms out, "Have a seat guys!" The looks on their faces told me I had nailed it this time!

14324475_588799824633549_1539599363009981100_o.jpgMicks.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines