Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Originally Posted By cbusters
Here you go, fresh from the DC Racing Manual circa 1979.

Let me clarify that I didn't doubt that you read that in a Mopar manual, what I should have said that I jhave never seen a production 383, from 1959 to 1971, that had the stock OEM piston tops above the decks shruggy You need to remember that the original beaded steel head gaskest where .022 thick and had a smaller bore size than the later 440/400 bore size .017 thick beaded steel head gaskets work
Which leads me to say do not believe every thing you see in print tsk Have you heard the old adage to not believe any thing you hear and only half of what you see work
Many myths out there. Mopar, Chevy and Ford provided many false specs. to NHRA, NASCAR and other sanctioning racing organizations on many different parts they made for racing only that where not used on production cars shock shruggy

I can verify it past the reading stage. I actually rebuilt engines with the taller pistons. It was a Mopar thing, not a slop thing or an aftermarket thing. I had a daily driver 69 RR that got too cold and froze and blew open the block. I found another block and then we first found out about the pistons when we rebuilt it and only needed to replace one. I will say it is past the myth stage here. Believe as you wish.