Originally Posted By 5280Dart
Second issue is tuning. I am not a fan of blow thru carburetor setups. You tend to have to run too fat with little initial timing during the 98% of the time you are not under boost, or run lean when you are under boost. Running lean under boost is a short term problem, because you will blow head gaskets, burn valves, or torch pistons/blocks in short order. I would view a blow thru carb setup for a track only car as more viable than a street/strip car, because you can treat the carburetor like it is mechanical injection. Tune it for wide open throttle performance, and not worry about how it runs when not under boost.

Not sure who's carb you were using, but that is not true across the board. The fuel curve under boost is easily controlled with the latest boost reference power valves. Acts 100% like a normal carb, until it sees boost and then goes as fat as you want it to. Piece of cake... The ONLY time I've ever had carb issues is when I'm getting outside the power window of what it was set up for. When I tell the guy it's only going to make 700hp, and I'm trying to push it to 900hp... yeah it needs a bunch of jet!

The timing thing is no big deal either. Lots of boost reference options out there that will control timing. Lets you run full timing at no/low boost, and pulls out as needed. I actually have full timing (35deg) in my motor up until 5psi to get the turbo lit, and then a yank a bunch out from there. No different then setting up an EFI timing map.

I would say there aren't lot of procharged mopars out there, just for the same reasons there aren't a lot of big power mopars out there in general. People are scared of the stock blocks, and the race blocks are scarce and/or big money. Average guys don't want to spend that kind of money or take the risk of blowing up stuff.

Nothing wrong with the prochargers at all... LOTS of non mopars successfully using them across all platforms/ all years of cars.