Quote:

Good question but the Mopar Stage VI heads were also screwed up in a similiar fashion with a short valve and not much room for the valve spring. My guess is that the Edelbrock engineer just wasn't thinking about a 2.00 inch spring height when he did the CAD drawing.

From what I've seen over the years the rocker shafts need to go down not up. When you are opening the valve farther then the midpoint is lower not higher. So the shaft needs to drop into the head in order to get the correct geometry. Lowering the shaft is much more difficult than raising the shaft which is why most people don't bother. The Victor heads do have large flat pads in the correct place so Jesel rocker arms should fit. I haven't put Jesels on a Victor yet so I don't have any pictures to share but maybe someone else does.

Andy,
Do you have any data to show improved performance when lowering the stands to correct geometry with a roller rocker? My guess is you are treating a roller rocker the same as a stocker and inputting the wrong geometry points into your CAD models. They are not the same.

Another question, exactly what is proper geometry in your mind? In your book, you reference a bunch of different rocker brands, and their various fulcrum lengths, and claim you need to find the ones that that center the rollers on the valve stems to have good geometry. Now, you're talking about moving the shaft when increasing the valve lift. Which way is it? Talk about confusing!

As far as the stand location and height, it has absolutely nothing to do with spring installed height. the manufacturer can only account for their valve length when designing the head, and has no idea what rockers or camshaft the end user will install. A valve with the same length, but a different lock groove location, will have different installed heights but will retain the same geometry points. They will both take the same amount of correction to get the geometry right. I've done the Stage VI heads, and while they aren't my favorite head, they can have great geometry and spring clearance without grinding on anything.

I have pictures and more information on my website if that helps explain any better what I am getting at.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.