Quote:

Won't it make sense that a finer filter would create more resistance to flow per given area, but increasing the surface area of the finer filter would result in the same resistance? In other words if I have a 10 micron filter with 1 sq.in. of filter surface area, it would have the same flow restriction as a 100 micron filter with 10 sq. in of surface area? So as long as my 100 micron fliter was rated to flow as much or more than the 10 micron filter, it should result in no additional strain on the pump.

Sorry, just threw this in for thought.

I run a 10 micron "Pre filter" and a 100 micron before the regulator. And the 100 micron filter is a pretty large unit (8" long, 2" diameter).

Yes, the size of a filter will of coarse increase the numbers of holes which will keep the speed( velocity) of the fuel down and equals in lower pressure over the filter.
If you have a wire mesh filter in SS steel, the diameter of the wire will change how much of the filter area that is open and how much area that are lost with the actual wire material, so the exact same tube of wire mesh can have the same 10 microns( 10 my millimeters) and still have different flow/ pressure numbers.
Inlet size and outlet size and also placement of those will also effect this.