Quote:

I am sitting on about 22 to 24 initial and about 38 all in at the moment. I tweaked the timing a bit earlier today. With the vacuum gauge I am good at no more than 24. I have one purple and for the life of me I can't remember the other spring color in the distributor. It comes in pretty quick and all in around 2500 rpm.

I just received a new 3500 rpm stall torque converter. I plan to get it in next week. Hopefully it will improve things a bit.

The heads are Edelbrock 60179 for a 340. The chamber is 65cc which in hind sight I understand I probably should have went for a different head. I went with these because they were supposedly made specifically for the 340. If all of my "tweaks" fail I might have them milled down a bit over the winter. I will cross that bridge when I get there.

If your pistons were above the deck when the motor was built, then your using the right heads and they don't need to be milled down. IMO

I built a 340 with those same heads in 2007. I used KB243 pistons which were .029" above the deck giving me 10.4-1 static compression. I have driven it hard now for over 20K miles on 91 octane fuel all around the country in really hi altitudes and temperatures. The motor makes plenty of pony's for a SB. More than any of my iron headed 340s did.

Good luck sorting out your combo.