Quote:

Well, putting unnecessary weight in it with really thick steel sections is a lot different than using heavy duty suspension components. The problem for me is that I look at a 1/4" plate just sitting there and know that most of it isn't doing anything.
Metal that's close to or on the neutral axis is just along for the ride.

You don't have to be Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman, but economy doesn't have to mean cheap.

R.

Actually, if the glass body has a steel structure, and the 1/4" plate is tied into that structure, having 1/4" plate at body to frame mounting points will make a tough glass body.

For many body/frame chassis vehicles, the body and frame often separate in crashes. Usually the bolts pull through the frame mount or through the body structure. With a 1/4" 2" x 4" tube frame, and a 1/4" plate sandwiched between the glass, the body/frame would probably stay together, which is usually helpful for the passengers.

Sounds like he put some thought concerning occupant safety into building the car, which is more then a lot of companies have done over the years. And I don't have a dog in this fight. Gene