This post also incites an interesting concept. It's good that the cars are being 'kept alive' Personally I like to see a car's heritage preserved by documenting records, photographs, and notes of work completed. It can also include records of show or race results, past owner info etc. Heavily documented survivors will always head the pack, yet as they are few.
So, do what you chose, BUT keep records. I think there are various categories used with historic properties that lend themselves to vehicles. I adapted them a little and toss this out for interest:

Preservation:
applying measures necessary to sustain the existing form, integrity, and components of a vehicle. Preservation work generally focuses on the ongoing maintenance and repair of historic components rather than extensive replacement or new construction.

Think: Survivor type car with metal patches and nos and or oem parts when available.

Rehabilitation:
adapting a vehicle for continuing or new compatible use through repair, alteration, and additions, while preserving those portions or features that convey its historical or cultural values.

Think: altering a clean body survivor type 340 Barracuda into a 426 ‘Cuda, ss clones, awb clones

Restoration:
accurately depicting the form, materials, features, and character of a vehicle as it appeared at a particular period of time (new, custom, as raced conversions, etc.). Restoration retains as much of the historic period components as possible. Inconsistent components may need to be removed and missing or unavailable components faithfully reconstructed in accordance with the restoration period (60’s, 70’s, 80’s, ….).

Think: Building a typical resto using aftermarket body panels and or parts including adding ‘day two’ type resto and may include new ‘period correct’ new parts. (may also include pro-street, drag, show cars, etc.)

Reconstruction:
depicting by means of new construction the vehicle with features, componants, and character of a vehicle that no longer exists, as it appeared at a particular period of time (as determined by the Reconstructionist).

This would include new ‘white bodies’, wing car clones, belvedere->roadrunners/sb’s, coronet 440->r/t’s, etc.

factory race or early race conversions could fit into any of the above categories.