Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I did have the infamous rear seal issues but I went to the 440source billet retainer with the Viton seals. Bone dry now for over a year. I guess I am one of the lucky ones now in that regard.

I have been using the Viton rear main seals, and they seem to seal really well. A bit pricy but worth it not to have oil leaks. The 440 source billet retainer is ok, it sat slightly lower than my oil pan rail, but sealed up fine.

Not sure why some don't like loctite on the bolts? There is very little torque to hold the bolts from loosening. The stainless ARP bolts seem to loosen easier than the stock bolts, maybe the rolled threads are too smooth, or the smooth bolt head on a smooth washer? Either way, not much friction to keep the bolt in place so I use some loctite, no big deal.

For what it's worth I was at a Loctite clinic about 20 years ago and was told by a Loctite tech person that there thread lockers would not work on a stainless steel fastener. Maybe now days they have a product. Anyone ever here of this?

Dan.

As I note elsewhere on this thread,,,I am suspecting that arp bolts being apparently stainless(stainless against regular steel such as is engine block will have much less friction than against stainless) cause of my pan bolts continually losing torque,,,,,and even blue number 243 locktite or permetex lookalike does not help. I believe that other bolt material(regular steel) or lock washers are the key,,,,perhaps star washers may even be better,,,I plan to try them.

Very interesting comment on thread locker as ineffective with stainless bolts. As I observed and noted in my recent post,,,,,blue number 243(suppose to work in the presence of oil) did nothing at all,,,,but lock washers have. I will query locktite on this.

Also i am suspecting that using the arp supplied flat washers compound the problem of loosening as they likely reduce any remaining friction that might exist

Post Extras:

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 03/06/14 09:23 AM.