Quote:

The 440 source distributor was a cheap out of the box dist. Nothing was set up. You mean changing the curve on it? Can you even do that with one of those? And has anyone had a positive experience with one of these or the MSD ready to run distributor. I have one of each.

I meant limiting your total timing so you can run like 20 intial timing so that your carburator can be used in the idle circuit with that big cam you have. Don't worry about the springs just yet, some distributers need to be welded to limit the overall timing? I think that's what yuck was saying above?

Not sure about the MSD how it's setup other than it's gonna rust under the cap after you use for a while.

I like the MP distributers because they are adjustable inside. Just have to replace the pickup inside when it's new so it'll work under load without breaking up. I fixed 3 MP distributers that all did the same thing new out of the box. Replaced the brand new pickup inside and problems(breaking up under load) went away.
The distributer itself is pretty cool because it's adjustable, totally adjustable.

And I don't think "locked" is best for the street, why not set it up with 15 degrees of mechanical advance and run 18-20 intial timing with that big cam?