Quote:

2 1/4" is enough pipe for a 273 2bbl. Even the Mustang GT's in 96 went up to 2 1/2" for their 215HP 4.6L. Thats 281cid people. Why? Because it was more efficient and made more power. Even 1/4" extra pipe on a high-production car like a Mustang is gonna cost them a fortune... they wouldn't do it unless there was a good reason.

heck, out '06 dodge grand caravan with a 3.8L has a mandrel bent 2.5" single exhaust....

which, as an aside, if you can/know someone who can weld stainless, one good option for piecing together your own mandrel exhaust is to go to junkyards and pick up a couple exhaust systems from late model wrecks. basically all the chrysler products use 409 stainless, the LH's and caravans are 2.5" mandrel bent, the hemi trucks are 3" mandrel bent.

the 3" big single on my car is 409 stainless, built out of a magnaflow Y, and 3" 409 from take-off tail pipes from '98 up rams (they're 2.5" to the end of the muffler, and flare up to 3" for the tail pipe)...luckily I have a friend who at the time had access to a lift and is good at TIG welding...

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)