Boy this is a post that I have heard discussed at great length recently. By the way I am one of the "old timers" no one will listen to. The economy is an issue for everyone, car owner, racer, sponsor and track owner. The price of fuel is reflected in everything, ordered any parts recently and looked at the "fuel surcharge."

We have a car and are beginning the construction of a clone of our 1970's car. We are a racing family my son and I drive at different races. My grandsons both have jobs to do and we all have fun. When a 4 year old is upset because Pops forgot to bring the water sprayer and he could not get his job done, no folks this is not just for old timers. It is the type of racing that will bring the spectators and the cars. The older, nostagia type, cars are what spectators of all ages seem to want to see. Someone mentioned Pinks All Out. We raced our first Pinks race at Z-Max Dragway. The entry fee for the car for two days was $60.00 crew entry was $25.00 for the week-end. We camped, and I mean tents in the pit area, some sleeped inside their trailer on the floor. Friday night everyone was cooking and having a good time. The stands and the pits were jammed to capacity everyday, all day. Some "old time" racers at the race were talking on Friday night and one you will all know says "boys this is the way it use to be, you remember match racing at some little small town track and the place just jammed."

The track owners just do not want to spend the time and effort to promote their track and races. Where I live I can be at 10 dragstrips in 2 hours. I had my race car on display at the International Auto Expo and had many people who were interested in drag racing, watched it on Tv and did not know there were operating tracks that close. These tracks are tracks that had races featuring all of the big names in Stock, Superstock and Funny Car. The track owners, managers, seem to believe that all they have to do is post something on the internet and everyone will go there to see what is going on. It ain't going to happen. Promote the races.

Talking about money and drag racing I will close this with a quote from Mr. Ronnie Sox. We were at the Henderson Reunion and were discussing drag racing now and "the good old days." He said "all the racers today have all the Sponsors that they have to answer to. Be at the track, win and promote their products. We raced with what we had and could build ourself. We towed with the family truck on an open trailer. We eat balongna sandwiches and canned beans for lunch."