This motor never overheats. It stays right at 180 all of the time and rises to 195 in only the warmest of days. The oil looks great, not too thick. It is 10w40 Castrol with a bottle of Comp Cams lube. Maybe the lube is doing more harm than good at this point?

I didnt really wash out the rings at break in. Initially, there was some difficulty to get it started as the oil pump/dist gear was not set in correctly, but I didnt pump a bunch of fuel into it. As soon as I righted that issue, it fired right up and I broke it is for 30 minutes at 2,000-2,500 rpm, stopped to change the oil, then ran it some more.

I would anticipate worse running, misfiring, and more smoking if it were the rings, wouldnt you all agree? It has run great for 6,000 miles.

I wouldnt think the carb is pumping too much fuel in, even though it is large for a stock 318 (650 DP electric choke with #70 jets. I do not smell fuel in the oil. Should I back this back down to the Eddie 600 I have? It its fairly rich when it is cold; I can smell fuel in the exhaust, but it cleans up later.

There is a lot of 3,000 rpm freeway cruising for 40-50 miles at a time. Maybe with the lift of this cam and the stock heads, it is just burning more oil? I dunno.

2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab: 5.7, 65RFE, 4.56 gears with locker, Hemifever tuned, AFE intake, 87mm throttle body, JBA headers, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, split to dual 2.5" exits. 13.57 best ET so far.

Searching for new A or B Body Project!