I believe a while back, I posted how my 6,000 mile 318, stock rebuilt heads, stock replacement pistons, and Comp XE268 cam was using some oil. As of late, it seems to be using a quart every 750 miles. I am using 10w40 with Comp Cams lube. Oil presure is good, the motor runs great, with plenty of power and the only smoke is when I am going down a grade on a freeway when I back off the throttle, or if I open up the secondaries. Even that is only a white/very very light blue (if at all). It will not do anything upon start up. There were no valve seal remnants under the valve covers and the oil looks great. the plugs were not black, but some were ever so slightly gray, maybe a bit of ash.

I will add that in those 750 miles, it is turning 3,000 rpm on the freeway 50% of the time.

About a two months, or 1,400 miles ago,I installed a Holley 650 DP on the motor. It seems since then, I have noticed the consumption. Maybe it is a coincidence. What I do know is that the power brakes and the PCV hose share the rear vacuum port on the back of the carb. Could the brakes be using more of the vaccuum and leaving little for the PCV to operate, thus causing my slight issue?

Or am I overlooking or overreacting to this consumption? Maybe I am looking in the wrong direction, as to me, this seems like a minor problem. Advice or comments are appreciated.

Last edited by MoparJ; 05/27/08 06:10 PM.

2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab: 5.7, 65RFE, 4.56 gears with locker, Hemifever tuned, AFE intake, 87mm throttle body, JBA headers, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, split to dual 2.5" exits. 13.57 best ET so far.

Searching for new A or B Body Project!