Well here's a little update. My friend who was offering me the camshafts passed away roughly a little over a month ago from cancer. Hank Kruse was one bad a** car guy and acted like a kid in his 69' Charger RT/SE and died at the age of 69. I will really miss him, and the parts he left behind that I bought up are really going to help get my car together. And I have finally come up with what I believe is a reasonable combo.

I found an old man who is giving me a 69' HP 383 block for free and possibly a 400 later once he gets his son to bring it over. Either way the combo is going to remain the same.

*383 block standard bore or .030 over
*KB400 pistons (-6cc dome)
*452 heads with some port work and bowl blending
*Factory Hi-po manifolds
*Edelbrock RPM performer intake
*Barry Grant 750cfm carb
*4 speed, AC, manual disc brakes
*3.91 gear with a 285/70/SR15 BFGoodrich tires
* Shooting for 9.5:1 CR
*Upgrade to electronic ignition

The only reason I'm sticking with my factory performance manifolds is due to clearance issues with the clutch linkages and power steering pump.

How detrimental are headers if the rest of the combo is there for the larger cam grinds? I am not going over .500 lift with my cam selection.

What are the main differences between the older and newer grind of the 284/.484? I know the LSA on the new grind is 114 compared to the 108 LSA on the older grind. How does this affect the motor in all aspects?

I'm really interested in the looks of Lunati's voodoo cams, particularly the 60302 and 60303. My goal out of this car is a fun, streetable car, limited strip, and plenty of torque to move the 4000lbs. Like to get a mid to low 13 the one or two times I take it to the quarter.

I had bought up Hank's old super stock springs, but thinking I'll just stick with the factory springs.

Thanks for the help and advice thus far guys. Still looking for opinions now that I have decided on a combination and goal.

Last edited by CurYellowBird; 05/12/10 02:49 AM.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original