Quote:

Are factory workers (or others) modifying A66 fenders in a manner similar to Creative, but just rolling the area in front of the lip brace? Was this just a LA "thing" since creative was 2500 miles away? Did the "brass" catch wind of this "procedure" & influence the change to F70-14 tires?

I don't think any of these things happened. Here's what I think happened... Sublime70 notices that his fender lip has a small rolled section (about 3.5 inches long directly in front of the indent where the lip brace attaches), and having heard about "Hemi Fenders" with rolled lips, he wonders if that is what he has. He takes a picture and posts it on moparts trying to find out if he has hemi fenders.

Multiple comments are made about hemi fenders. A couple hemi fender pictures are posted, but due to some after the fact wheel well molding, you can't see the extent of the rolling on the hemi fender, which makes it a poor example for him. Someone says that they have an A66 with fenders just like his. As a result, he starts to think his fenders have been modified by the factory.

Actually though, his fenders are not modified. They are just like other non-Hemi Challenger fenders. The LA plant workers didn't modify them. All the Challenger fenders are rolled like that, Hamtramck and LA both.

I was in a similar situation once with my own Challenger. I noticed that my fender lips had both been rolled up there and that each side matched. I wanted to know if I had something special, or if I should bend them back down flat like my 'Cuda. I went to a mopar junk yard a few hours away and investigated the fender collection for a while. I must have looked at at least 20 challenger fenders from all years 70-74, (even found 1 T/A fender, which I thought was pretty cool), and all were rolled exactly the same. The Challenger fenders are just made that way. Challenger wheel lip molding has a notch to match the rolled area, again it comes that way. Anyone with a regular Challenger fender can compare their own fender to his photo and see that they are the same.

The Hemi Fenders are rolled much more extensivly. I think that a good picture of the rolled lip on a hemi fender (without lip molding) would help remedy the situation. I have some, but they are bitmaps, so moparts wouldn't let me post them earlier. Unfortunately I don't have access to photoshop to convert them to jpeg at the moment.

Here is his fender photo from the other thread. If I recall correctly, it's a Nov 6 1969 SPD LA plant car. The black repaint over the original sublime gives the photo nice contrast, so you can really see the area he's talking about.

Tav

6492408-HemiorWhat.jpg (79 downloads)