Moparts

A66 Challengers what color grille

Posted By: Beebuzzn

A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 04:13 AM

Wanting to know what your early build A66 car came with. Black r/t style or silver argent grille ? My 928 SPD came with black. Seen one early oct. had black. All the ones I have seen after 11/9 and have been silver ?

Attached picture 5689891-IMG_1995.JPG
Posted By: 1970mopar

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 05:07 AM

should be argent
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 06:40 AM

Black on R/T & T/A only.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 12:17 PM

I agree with Barry. Nice to see another 1970 chally with the same spo date as our chally vert.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 05:21 PM

I know the A66 Challengers where supposed to have the argent grille. But what I was looking for were people that had or know of A66 cars that came from the factory with the black grille. I have seen two early builds that have the black. Just wanting to know if more are out there and if so when and where they were built.

Posted By: 1970mopar

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 06:03 PM

Quote:

I have seen two early builds that have the black. Just wanting to know if more are out there and if so when and where they were built.

were these unrestored, original owner cars?

I've seen alot of 340 Challenger with Black (R/T) grilles in them. Many were sprayed black sometime after the argent paint had worn or had been changed sometime in their lives by their owners to look more like a true R/T.
I'm not saying its not impossible for one or two to have been built with the black grille, but....
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 06:49 PM

Sounds like what you are wanting to ask or clarify is what color the grills were on A66 Challengers and if some were blank and some were argent what is the change date. I dont know the answer hopefully some others will be able to clarify. Nice looking car!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 06:52 PM

Nether car is original owner, but both were original paint with history from original owner. Grilles,grille surrounds, screws, and hardware showed no signs of ever being touched. One more for ya is mine also had wheel well molding and that also never happened. The way it was installed I have to believe it was factory not dealer. Again correct screws and previous owner stated that is they way it was. I wish mine had the build sheet. I'm just stating what I have found. Not here to disagree with anyone just trying to learn more.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 07:08 PM

Here is my friends A66 Challenger.His dad bought it new and is shown here fresh after a three year full blown resto.
Argent silver grille.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 07:27 PM

Hey 68Cbarge nice car hopefully I'll have mine on the ground soon. Ask your friend if they added the wheel well molding or is it original and when it was built.

Posted By: Beeware

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 08:07 PM

Hello,

We've got a 9/28 car also original paint except the hood,340 3speed vert, K2 with yellow tailstripe,white top/int,hood blackout,owned it since 86 the grill is argent. What did your car come with on the hood was it the 340 -4bbl emblem in steel or was it the decal??? Decal on ours??? thanks Paul

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 09:02 PM

Hello Beeware, my car is a Hamtramck built car and came with the standard flat hood and had hood pins (J45) I like the look, every Challenger I see has the sport hood. Thanks

Attached picture 5690846-IMG_1987.JPG
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 09:08 PM

Quote:

Hello Beeware, my car is a Hamtramck built car and came with the standard flat hood and had hood pins (J45) I like the look, every Challenger I see has the sport hood. Thanks

Sport hood was part of the A66 pkg...Sounds like your car breaks all the rules...

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 09:38 PM

Sport hood was part of the A66 pkg...Sounds like your car breaks all the rules...

Yea I like that, sort of like me in my younger years. Maybe that's why I like it so much. The car came with alot of neat options. A36,A62,C16....

Posted By: gtx6970

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 10:04 PM

my former A66 car was an early Dec 1969 SBD and still had ( I assume it was original) grill in it, and it was argent. When I bought it that car was mostly un-touched,,and about 70% original paint

Also a local friend of mine used to own a 1970 challenger 340 car many years ago (mid 80's time frame )
I think, it was original paint car ,,,,,, and it had a flat hood. He sold it locally ,and the next owner drove it around here for a while then re-sold it about a year later. But it hasn't been seen since. Seems like the car has vanished from this area so I can't guarentee any of the above.

It was a medium blue( B5 ?) with white interior 340 console auto and the afore mentioned flat hood. Sorry it was a long time ago and before most people cared about fender tag data,,,,don't remember the grille color on that one
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/26/09 11:00 PM

Quote:

Here is my friends A66 Challenger.His dad bought it new and is shown here fresh after a three year full blown resto.
Argent silver grille.

Great looking Challenger, but presented here is an example of a "Full Blown Resto" with incorrect('71) center caps, no trim rings yet, and we are to take the word of the poster that the grill is correctly restored.

Understand my point is not to bash your friend's car or his effort, but after 40 years, the original poster of this thread is looking for a concrete example or answer to his question. Again, no offense intended and I hope you see where i'm coming from.

I have an 1969 A12 Bee clone that the old timers in my area swear my hood has the correct rough flat black finish, but i'm not so sure as i've seen them restored shiny, flat, rough...

I am by no means an authority on the 70 grills, just genuinely interested in the correct answer for the original poster of this thread.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/27/09 01:27 AM

It was a medium blue( B5 ?) with white interior 340 console auto and the afore mentioned flat hood. Sorry it was a long time ago and before most people cared about fender tag data,,,,don't remember the grille color on that one

Thanks for the info and that seems to be the norm. Most people I have talked to that had early cars don't recall what grille they had. But I have not seen or heard of a black grille on 11/9 SPD or later A66 cars.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/27/09 06:52 PM

Quote:

Hey 68Cbarge nice car hopefully I'll have mine on the ground soon. Ask your friend if they added the wheel well molding or is it original and when it was built.

Yes he did add the wheel lip moldings and the Ralleye wheels with incorrect centers.
He knows they are incorrect and added them for personal taste.Plus it is a family heirloom so nit pick away.He has been driving the car since its resto and its 20 year absence from the road.
Even a few runs down the quarter mile at the local armdrop races!!

Car originally came with 14 X 5.5 steel wheels and full wheel covers with the Challenger name in the centers.Those wheel covers had trouble staying on and also would slice the valve stems after twisting around on the rim.

What makes Gazzi's car unique is the red/red combo and vinyl top.
Weird thing is it has the foot-operated windshield washer pump.
The grille is an original piece.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/27/09 07:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Argent silver grille.

Great looking Challenger, but presented here is an example of a "Full Blown Resto" with incorrect('71) center caps, no trim rings yet, and we are to take the word of the poster that the grill is correctly restored.

Understand my point is not to bash your friend's car or his effort, but after 40 years, the original poster of this thread is looking for a concrete example or answer to his question. Again, no offense intended and I hope you see where i'm coming from.

I have an 1969 A12 Bee clone that the old timers in my area swear my hood has the correct rough flat black finish, but i'm not so sure as i've seen them restored shiny, flat, rough...

I am by no means an authority on the 70 grills, just genuinely interested in the correct answer for the original poster of this thread.

No offence taken.
My friend took the liberty of adding things for his own personal taste and is not out to gain any points at car shows.
Being in the same family since new,he will tell you what he did add or change on the car.
He likes it and that's all that matters to him.
It was passed down to him from his late father and he hopes to pass it to his kids.
A rolling heirloom.

The hood pins were added.
I already mentioned the wheel lip moldings and wheels.
The reason for no trim rings is pic was taken right after I parked outside my shop after doing a safety and alignment.The rings were left off to do the alignment.

As mentioned,his Dad bought the car new.My friend grew up in this car and confirms the grille has never been changed and did come Argent Silver.
Posted By: jeff968

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/29/09 07:54 PM

I've owned 2 A66 Challengers, 1 FC7 convertible purchased in 1978 (a spd 370 car) and a EK2 hardtop purchased in 1982. Both cars had argent grilles. The EK2 hardtop had something I've never seen before, the 340 4 barrel callouts on the sport hood where in decal form, not an emblem!!! It was an original paint car.
Posted By: Sublime70

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/29/09 11:14 PM

My A66 has black grill, B09 intended build date. Actual build date who knows. Might be one of those things like R/T emblems. Shouldn't have gotten it, but by factory error it did.

My car is weird though, no engine call outs, with cheesy V8 emblems on fenders. 15" wheels with rolled fenders, defintely all original A66 been in the family 30+ years.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 02:13 AM

Thanks for the info Sublime. What plant was your car built at ? Interesting the B09 was a Sunday my 928 SPD was a sunday also. Almost makes you think those sunday built cars got the left overs from the week before. I take it by saying there is no 340 call out on the hood that it is a sport hood ? Mine being a flat hood car has the V8 emblems. All the early A66 cars I have seen had the 15" wheels.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 02:27 AM

Just curious, what leads you to believe that your A66 car came with a flat hood?
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 02:32 AM

Quote:

Does it have rallye guages?
Posted By: RV2

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 04:16 AM

A friend of mine had a A66 challenger in the eighties the car was Alpine white with a B5 interior, it was a 340 automatic, he also claims the hood had a 340 decal, I never believed him and now this is the second person claiming a decal on the hood.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 04:22 AM

The hood was original to the car I believe because : it was a early 70 hood, original paint on hood (EV2), no damage to front of car and who would change a sport hood to a flat unless it was damaged ? and then to find an original paint EV2 flat hood to put on it ? When we pulled this car apart we where very careful and documented everything we did.

Attached picture 5697310-Pic271.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 04:24 AM

Anybody have a pic of the hood decal?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 04:31 AM

underside of hood

Attached picture 5697330-Pic283.JPG
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 02:47 PM

Quote:

The hood was original to the car I believe because : it was a early 70 hood, original paint on hood (EV2), no damage to front of car and who would change a sport hood to a flat unless it was damaged ? and then to find an original paint EV2 flat hood to put on it ? When we pulled this car apart we where very careful and documented everything we did.

It could have been done when brand new though. If a customer wanted a sports hoos on a regular Challenger the dealer could have swapped them.

As an example ... when I bought my yellow Audi back in '97 it was the last V6 car left in the country. I wanted it but didn't like the rear spoiler. So the dealer swapped the trunk lids with a yellow turbo 4-cylinder car they had on the lot. So whoever got the turbo car got a factory spoiler on a car with factory paint from day one and probably never knew the difference. Well, except the dealer probably charged him for the spoiler.
Posted By: floyd

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 02:49 PM

Quote:

A friend of mine had a A66 challenger in the eighties the car was Alpine white with a B5 interior, it was a 340 automatic, he also claims the hood had a 340 decal, I never believed him and now this is the second person claiming a decal on the hood.

I saw one at the Nats with the decal. I believe it was an original paint car. I'll have to look and see if I have pics.
Posted By: 67plymouthman

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 03:28 PM

Great Post Guys!!
I too am an A66 owner. Not sure about the grille on my car (basketcase). Are there any production numbers on how many 4sp produced or production by color? My A66 is a EV2, D21, no rear stripe, black interior, rallye gauges/hood, front disk brakes, no a/c, and doesn't have a console. Maybe we should start an A66 registry/website
Posted By: Erik

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 03:42 PM

My first Challenger was an A66 car. Built in Feb 1970. FC7, 4-spd, black vinyl top, black body side moulding, A01, A04, PS, PB (discs), std gauges, console, and an argent grille.

Unfortunately the car no longer exists. I kept the VIN tag, fender tag and have the title so no one can ever clone/rebody it. I put the 340 in my old Challenger convertible and I know where the 4 spd is currently sitting.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 04:20 PM

Quote:

Anybody have a pic of the hood decal?

I don't have a photo but they look very similar to the actual 340 4 barrel emblem, same size and font.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 04:26 PM

Quote:

The hood was original to the car I believe

What does your fender tag say? My A66 Challengers had the J54 sport hood code right on the tag as well as the buildsheet. My convertible was loaded but had the standard gauge package (with the optional clock) and a manual windshield washer pump. It also had console with slpastick, PDB, PS, 15" ralleys, bumper guards, side moldings, PW, PT, am/fm 3 speaker stereo, A01 light package, A62 6 way seat, and a rim blow SW. Great first car which I paid $400 for back in 1978
Posted By: anlauto

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 04:26 PM

I've never heard of a hood decal as mentioned. I would also like to see some documentation. Part number or NOS samples?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 04:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info Sublime. What plant was your car built at ? Interesting the B09 was a Sunday my 928 SPD was a sunday also. Almost makes you think those sunday built cars got the left overs from the week before. I take it by saying there is no 340 call out on the hood that it is a sport hood ? Mine being a flat hood car has the V8 emblems. All the early A66 cars I have seen had the 15" wheels.

The car is a Los Angeles plant car. You are right no 340 call outs on the sports hood, with just the V8 emblems on the fenders. It only has standard gauges, but it does have the 3 speed wipers with motorized washers. To bad they didn't have a ralleye gauge cluster left over to throw in as well.

You know it never dawned on me to check what day of the week B09 was... I didn't know they had a Sunday shift; maybe it would have been the start of the Monday night shift? Hard to say when the actual build date was, but it makes you wonder.

The car is FJ5 sublime with V98 bumble bee stripe delete. I am bummed that is didn't come with a bumble bee stripe, I think I will add it anyway, I love those stripes.

I think an A66 registry would be cool
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 05:30 PM

mine,s also an LA car silver grille bought from orig owner in 88, early car sept/oct cant remember right off exactly... FC7 blk int, slapstick, stripe delete also, 14' magnum car, #,s matching no sheet, has the V-8 emblems and no hood call outs dan

Attached picture 5698073-2003_0814_142605AA.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 05:56 PM

Cool, it looks like the A66 cars only came in the coolest colors

Maybe we should start an A66 registry thread.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 06:47 PM

Good info from all and interesting. My tag goes:

26 EN2
N42 N85 R11 V9W Y05
G32 G34 J45 M21 M25 N41
EV2 A36 A62 A66 C16 C55
EV2 H6XW 000 928 002809
E55 D21 JH23 HOB 137...

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 06:58 PM

Quote:

Good info from all and interesting. My tag goes:
26 EN2
N42 N85 R11 V9W Y05
G32 G34 J45 M21 M25 N41
EV2 H6XW 000 928 002809
E55 D21 JH23 HOB 137...

I think you are missing a line, the one with the A66, third from the bottom.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 07:16 PM

Quote:

It could have been done when brand new though. If a customer wanted a sports hoos on a regular Challenger the dealer could have swapped them.

I could see someone going from flat hood to sport hood, but sport hood to flat hood ??? and then put holes in it for hood pins ? I just don't see that happening. I think the car being as original as it was tells the story. By the way I have the original hood and deck lid as I replaced both with the correct early 70 pieces do to some rust issues. Always keep my left overs just in case I need them for a reference. Maybe that's why I don't have any room in my garage.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 07:41 PM

Thanks, yes I missed a line. Always the important one. Fixed

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 07:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No,just the standard gauge cluster.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 08:01 PM

Hamtramck - Historical is your friend.

per the '70 Dodge "salesman's pocket guide" 9/23/69 version:
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - $258.90
NA Special Edition (29), NA R/T (JS)
15" Rallye wheels (W21) - required at EXTRA cost
collapsable spare (W34) - required at EXTRA cost

this changed at some point - as the following shows

per the '70 Dodge "dealership data book" no date found
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - includes
340 engine - E55
F70-14 RWL tires - T87
R/T hood
H.D. brakes
H.D. suspension
"bumble bee" stripe
"scat pack" decals
wheel lip mouldings "DELETED"

& we do need a picture of this 340 hood decal!!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 08:21 PM

Who has an original window sticker (or copy) for a '70 A66 Challenger?

I have copies of 2, unfortunately one is for a 340 convertible. I say unfortunately because some dealerships were mis-informed or mis-understood the 15" tire/wheel availability on a convertible & thought 15" tires were NOT available on a Challenger convertible. (just to add confusion 40 years later)

JH27H0B159xxx - Y05 & SPD A14 - W21 $43.10 & T87 ($47.95 CREDIT)
JH23H0B234xxx - Y05 & SPD 114 - W23 $un-readable & T86 No Charge

IMO the change from E60-15s VS. F70-14s being STANDARD was some time between 10/14/69 & 1/14/70.

No mention of a hood or wheel lip mouldings on either Window Sticker.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 08:34 PM

Who has an original broadcast sheet (or copy) for a '70 A66 Challenger?

I have copies of 2, unfortunately both are for 340 convertibles. (see above)

JH27H0B152xxx - Y05 & SPD A06 - W21, W34 & U82 (NO J54 or M26)
JH27H0B159xxx - Y05 & SPD A14 - W21, W34 & T87 (NO J54 or M26)

Who has some documentaion that shows how the "package" was equipped at the start of the model year?
Anything that shows E60-15s (U82) being STD etc.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The reason I asked is that the electric washer came std. with the rallye guages.

On a std. cluster car, it is not weird at all to have the manual foot pump. As a matter of fact, most std. cluster cars came that way. The 3-spd. (or variable) wipers were optional with the std. cluster, and I don't think very many were ordered that way...

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 09:30 PM

Quote:

Hamtramck - Historical is your friend.

340 engine - E55
F70-14 RWL tires - T87
R/T hood
H.D. brakes
H.D. suspension
"bumble bee" stripe
"scat pack" decals

& we do need a picture of this 340 hood decal!!

7/23/69:
The 340 Performance Package (A66) will be available on the hardtop and convertible models in conjunction with the 340 engine in early September. The 340 engine will only be available in combination with the 340 Performance Package.

10/20/69:
Effective immediately, F70x14-inch RWL tires (T87) are standard with the 340 Performance Package. The E60x15-inch tires (U82) will be optional at extra cost. The Collapsible Spare (W34) and Rallye Wheels will no longer be required with the 340 Package. A Rear Spoiler in Dull Black (J81) will be available in early November. Effective immediately, Performance Axle Packages A31 and A36 are available with the 340 Package.

2/12/70:
Longitudinal Tape Stripes on the Challenger high-Iine models (JH23, JH27, JH29) will be available in mid-March as an extra-cost option. Color availability and codes are: Black (V6X), White (V6W), Red (V6R), Green (V6F) and Blue (V6B). This tape stripe will be similar to the standard R/T stripe but without the R/T nomenclature. This stripe is a no-extra-cost option with the 340 Performance Package (A66).

4/13/70:
The Shaker Hood is now available on the Challenger R/T with the 440-6V and 426 engines. In addition, this hood is also available with the 340 Performance Package (A66) and will be available on the 383 and 440-4V engines on R/T models in late April. The Challenger T/A Fiberglass Hood (N94) is now available on all Challenger models with 4-barrel engines.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 09:36 PM

Quote:

Who has an original broadcast sheet (or copy) for a '70 A66 Challenger?

I thought you had a copy of mine, but send me an email to remind me and I'll send you mine Dan.

Quote:

Who has some documentaion that shows how the "package" was equipped at the start of the model year? Anything that shows E60-15s (U82) being STD etc.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 09:38 PM

Quote:

Cool, it looks like the A66 cars only came in the coolest colors

Maybe we should start an A66 registry thread.

Not all of them. But because the bumble bee stripe was standard they did often get some of the rarer combinations. Here's mine.

+ Y05 26 EN1 +
M21 N41 N42 R22 V21 V9W
EW1 A66 C55 J45 J54 J81
EW1 H5X9 000 508 ******
E55 D13 JH12 H0B ******

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 10:12 PM

I didn't know the "package wasn't available from the start of the model year.
earliest VINs I have recorded are:
"B" - MI - JH23H0B1158xx - SPD 90?
"E" - LA - JH23H0E1096xx - SPD A03

Quote:

340 engine - E55
F70-14 RWL tires - T87
R/T hood
H.D. brakes
H.D. suspension
"bumble bee" stripe
"scat pack" decals

Quote:

10/20/69:
Effective immediately, F70x14-inch RWL tires (T87) are standard with the 340 Performance Package. The E60x15-inch tires (U82) will be optional at extra cost. The Collapsible Spare (W34) and Rallye Wheels will no longer be required with the 340 Package. A Rear Spoiler in Dull Black (J81) will be available in early November. Effective immediately, Performance Axle Packages A31 and A36 are available with the 340 Package.

Effective immeadiately - DID THEY CUT THE PRICE by ~ $50? or add other features to the "package"?

Quote:

The Challenger T/A Fiberglass Hood (N94) is now available on all Challenger models with 4-barrel engines.

YEAH Dodge!! 3 - R/Ts (2 are HEMI & 1 is 383) & 1 - A66 car KNOWN. I have a copy of the A66 car's b'cast sheet somewhere.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 10:46 PM

I'm dying to see this supposed decal.

Alpine white car JH23HOB180633
Posted By: 69Mannix

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 10:56 PM

I bought this car out of Ridgecrest Calif, around 2001. Was a 3 spd car. Had the wheels repainted. Heres the tag. I have seen the decal also, but been many years.

Attached picture 5698665-challenger14.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/30/09 11:19 PM

Late to the model line-up, sounds like Dodge got caught with their collective pants down by Plymouth, planning to offer the 'Cuda with the 340 as a no-cost option. This also would explain the decals on early cars as the lead time for an emblem would've been greater & they needed something fast.

Is it 340 MAGNUM or 340 FOUR BARREL?

I'd like to see pics of the top & bottom of "no-crush-zone" R/T hoods without holes for emblems.

I'd like to see pics top & bottom of the clearance holes for hood pins on a "no-crush-zone" flat hood.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 12:32 AM

A66 cars from both plants do have a registry;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/register.shtml

The earliest ones I have fender tag data for from both plants so far;

Hamtramck - 922

LA - A03

The page at this link;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Challenger0024.jpg

shows the A66 code in the data book. I have another page with a list of revised pages to 'change out' to update the book, sadly, it is not dated. This page is on the list though. If anyone has page 116 & it looks different than that one in any way, I would love to see it.

Barry

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 01:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The reason I asked is that the electric washer came std. with the rallye guages.

On a std. cluster car, it is not weird at all to have the manual foot pump. As a matter of fact, most std. cluster cars came that way. The 3-spd. (or variable) wipers were optional with the std. cluster, and I don't think very many were ordered that way...

Kewl! His car has two speed wipers,AM radio with front speaker only.The bulge hood is original and has the 340 Four Barrel badges.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 01:43 AM

This is in the "Dodge Material" brochure with the 440-6 shaker 70 Challenger on the cover, brochure dated 9/69

Attached picture 5699049-za66b.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 01:45 AM

This part of the text makes mention of tires/rims for the various 1970 Challengers

Attached picture 5699055-za66a.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 01:55 AM

Pic of the Hood Decal, I've owned this A66 car since 86 original paint car except hood, was a Hood Blackout car and was removed and repainted but they tapped off decals.

Hi Terry, Paul Petcou, from Michigan

Attached picture 5699078-IMG_1189.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 01:57 AM

Pic 2

Attached picture 5699083-IMG_1191.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 01:57 AM

Wow, this blew up into a really cool thread, and to keep it going here is my fender tag.

V1W V98 26 END
J25 M21 N41 N42 N95 R11
V1W A66 C16 C55 G33 H51
FJ5 H6XW 000 B06 078807
E55 D32 JH23 H0E 117xxx

Sorry EV2A66, I goofed up before B06, not B09, for a build date. I was running from memory, which isn't so hot anymore.

Notice, that the 15" wheels weren't coded, but the car has the front fenders rolled under. Unfortunately, the original wheels disappeared 30+ years ago, so who knows. Also the sport hood isn't coded, but if I remember right, from a previous Alaskan_TA post, stuff that was part of the package wasn't always on the fender tag. Wish I had a build sheet but it is an LA car and I probably will never find one .

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 02:04 AM

last one, decal is a reflective decal, car is

V9Y Y05 26 EN1
M91 N41 N42 P37 R11 V91
V3W A66 C16 C55 G31 G33
EK2 H6XW 000 928 091635
E55 D13 JH27 HOB 13XXXX

Attached picture 5699097-IMG_1190.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 02:13 AM

Quote:

Late to the model line-up, sounds like Dodge got caught with their collective pants down by Plymouth, planning to offer the 'Cuda with the 340 as a no-cost option. This also would explain the decals on early cars as the lead time for an emblem would've been greater & they needed something fast.

Is it 340 MAGNUM or 340 FOUR BARREL?

I'd like to see pics of the top & bottom of "no-crush-zone" R/T hoods without holes for emblems.

I'd like to see pics top & bottom of the clearance holes for hood pins on a "no-crush-zone" flat hood.

I bet you are right, Plymouth caught Dodge with their collective pants down, other evidence would be that the package wasn't offered until September 69. That was a great time for American automakers, the various divisions had a lot more autonomy and tried to out do their corporate brothers.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 02:38 AM

Quote:

last one, decal is a reflective decal, car is

V9Y Y05 26 EN1
M91 N41 N42 P37 R11 V91
V3W A66 C16 C55 G31 G33
EK2 H6XW 000 928 091635
E55 D13 JH27 HOB 13XXXX

A GOLD BUMBLE BEE STRIPE!!!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 03:18 AM

Okay,
Here the scoop with my A66 cars:

My convertible, which I purchased in June of 1978, no buildsheet, it had the 340 4 barrel emblems on the R/T hood and 15" ralleys:

EN1
P37 R35 V5X Y05 26
C62 G34 J54 N41 N42 P31
V3W A01 A66 B51 C16 C55
FC7 H6XW 000 303 Q09711
E55 D32 JH27 H0B 269XXX

The hardtop I had in 1982 that HAD THE DECALS on the R/T hood. I have the buildsheet for it, JH23H0B227XXX, SPD of 1/06, EV2/V1X/H6X9/V9X, Y05, W21/T87 tires, J54, A04, C16, G11, G34, H51, R11, S77

I also have the buildsheet for another A66 convertible, FC7/V3X/H6X9/V98, D21!!! JH27H0B296XXX, SPD of 403, Y05/Y14, J54, J45, R11, W23/T87

Interesting, the buildsheet for the convertible lists the N65 torq. fan where the hardtop with A/C does not.

I have a letter from Chrysler stating they made 266 A66 340 convertibles in 1970.

Jeff

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 03:33 AM

Galen's "white book" shows
US spec. cars:
JH23H0 - 6933
JH27H0 - 264
his 3rd version shows T/As to be included in this number
his 6th version shows the T/As to be 2400 additional cars

Any idea which is correct?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 03:41 AM

Quote:

I bought this car out of Ridgecrest Calif, around 2001. Was a 3 spd car. Had the wheels repainted. Heres the tag. I have seen the decal also, but been many years.

Notice how this fender tag has the V21 performance hood blackout. Now, I think we would all agree that you would never see this code on a car with a flat hood. This tag also doesn't list the J54 sport hood code. Therefore, I think we can state that early A66 cars did not have the J54 listed on their tags. Based on that, I would still guess that every A66 car made had the performance hood (since all the sales literature says so) and that the car in question that started the thread had the hood swaped at some point. IMHO.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 04:53 AM

Here is a picture of my tire pressure sticker off my car(928 SPD). If I get a chance tomorrow I will post a few pictures of the hood pin area of my original no-crush-zone flat hood.

Attached picture 5699514-tirepres..jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 06:53 AM

Few guys have PM me about the car, thanks here are a few pics there old but car sits exactly the same, owned it for going on 24 years been tucked away in a nice garage.Plan to get to it soon..............Paul

Attached picture 5699657-70-A66.jpg
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 06:57 AM

Paul you have at least two incredible cars...
Posted By: NANKET

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 08:50 AM

Quote:

Few guys have PM me about the car, thanks here are a few pics there old but car sits exactly the same, owned it for going on 24 years been tucked away in a nice garage.Plan to get to it soon..............Paul

Paul, that orange convertible has wheel lip mouldings. Do you think it came with them on it factory or added on later? Nice car!!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 02:26 PM

Quote:

A GOLD BUMBLE BEE STRIPE!!!

Yellow (Banana) actually.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 03:05 PM

Quote:

Effective immeadiately - DID THEY CUT THE PRICE by ~ $50? or add other features to the "package"?

I think the price was the same. The tires were required options which added more cost. So it was $258.90 plus the 15" tires plus the inflatable spare.

They did the same thing with the T/A. It required you to buy either an automatic or a 4-speed but they were extra cost since neither was part of the A53 package.
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 03:30 PM

I'm so in love with that orange ragtop

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 04:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Paul, that orange convertible has wheel lip mouldings. Do you think it came with them on it factory or added on later? Nice car!!

I also noticed the front bumper guards & no rear bumper guards pads, which appear to be original? Has one of the bumpers been replaced?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think the price was the same. The tires were required options which added more cost. So it was $258.90 plus the 15" tires plus the inflatable spare.

Inititally the E60-15 ($47.95 OPTION on a F70-14 car) tires were included, wheels ($43.10) and spare ($12.95) were required EXTRAS.

Is there a bulletin for the R/T "J54 - sport hood" being an available OPTION on a non-R/T or A66 car for '70? The '71 Barracuda "J54 - performance hood" was a $20.25 OPTION, can't seem to find the same info for Challenger.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/31/09 06:10 PM

Quote:

Is there a bulletin for the R/T "J54 - sport hood" being an available OPTION on a non-R/T or A66 car for '70? The '71 Barracuda "J54 - performance hood" was a $20.25 OPTION, can't seem to find the same info for Challenger.

Nothing I have mentions J54 at all.

Correction: Excluding what Barry mentioned regarding the T/A getting and then not getting the R/T hood.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/01/10 08:58 PM

Here are some pictures of my no crush zone, flat hood and the hood pin holes. Holes were stamped before top and bottom were put together as it shows. Unless someone went to alot of work and pulled hood apart and added holes and put back together. I don't think so. It is interesting on the V-8 emblems with the sport hood that called out 340. I would have thought just the flat hood cars would have the V-8 emblems on the fenders ? How about that wheel lip moulding on the convert Paul ? very nice car. I noticed J54 sport hood option in Galens book : available 11/25/69 on Barracuda,GranCoupe and Challenger ? for what that is worth. Great info and would like to see more early A66 cars and the options they came with.

Attached picture 5703769-hood.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/01/10 09:23 PM

Hood pin hole

Attached picture 5703853-huds_hood_002_640x480.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/01/10 09:26 PM

other side

Attached picture 5703857-huds_hood_003_640x480.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/01/10 09:28 PM

Top of hood

Attached picture 5703862-huds_hood_014_640x480.jpg
Posted By: m46rat

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 12:48 AM

V5X Y07 26 EN2
C55 G33 M21 N41 N42 R11
EB5 A01 A04 A05 A66 B51
EB5 H6B5 000 A27 C01026
E55 D32 JH23 H0B 171578

Got this car off the second owner with 19,000 miles on it. It has the rallye hood with no callouts on it. Also has 15x7.0 rallye wheels all dated Sept 24, 1969. No wheel opening mouldings. Matching Space saver Spare. I also have the previous car to this one: JS27U0B171577. Let me know if you have any questions about the 340.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 01:46 AM

Hey Dwight does your A66 have the V-8 emblems on the fenders ? It seems the early cars that got the rallye hood and no call outs and some that had the decal had the V-8 on fenders ? and later cars with 340 emblems on rallye hood had no V-8 on fenders ? What color grille ?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 02:07 AM

Three of us (BeepBeep, Snoopy & myself) had a conference call a couple night ago about the stickers. We all have different revisions of the 1970 parts book, I have three versions of the 1970 Collision parts book & Snoopy has a copy of the superceded part numbers book.

We dug deep & checked every book we could think of that we had access too.

The result is that none of us could find a mention of the sticker or a part number for it in the books we have.

Can anyone else find it mentioned in any source? If so, it would be very cool to see.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 03:57 PM

Quote:

Three of us (BeepBeep, Snoopy & myself) had a conference call a couple night ago about the stickers. We all have different revisions of the 1970 parts book, I have three versions of the 1970 Collision parts book & Snoopy has a copy of the superceded part numbers book.

We dug deep & checked every book we could think of that we had access too.

The result is that none of us could find a mention of the sticker or a part number for it in the books we have.

Can anyone else find it mentioned in any source? If so, it would be very cool to see.

Wow, Barry is stumped!!! That doesn't happen too often.

Barry, once we get enough A66 cars IDed maybe you can figure out when they used them. Could this be another example of "ran out of the part and had to substitute something quickly"?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 04:37 PM

Quote:

Hey Dwight does your A66 have the V-8 emblems on the fenders ? It seems the early cars that got the rallye hood and no call outs and some that had the decal had the V-8 on fenders ? and later cars with 340 emblems on rallye hood had no V-8 on fenders ? What color grille ?

It has a silver grille and the V 8 emblems. No stick ons on the hood.

Barry, I have every change up editon of the 70 parts book that there is. I will take a look through all of them for clues.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 06:15 PM

Dwight,
This what I found in the 70-71 Parts Book.

There is no listing for the 340-4 Barrel name plate in the May 70 edition of the 70 only Parts Book.

NAME PLATE, Hood,
1 - 3443 247 "340-4 Barrel"
2 - 2998 801 "383 Magnum"
2 - 2998 800 "426 Hemi"
2 - 2998 804 "440-6 Pack"
1 - 3462 491-2 "440"
1 - 3462 489 Lt. "426 Hemi"
1 - 3462 490 Rt. "426 Hemi"
3 - 9420 276 Nut

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 10:26 PM

My former early Dec built 1970 challenger 340 had metal pin on nameplates - hood was still original paint when I bought the car.
I've still got one of the nameplates on my toolbox as a momento

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 10:45 PM

Bill
Was the name plate only on the drivers side? The reason I ask, is because the 70-71 parts book only lists 1 required.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 10:55 PM

Does it have a part number on the back of it Bill?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 11:01 PM

Bill
Can you post a picture? Does it spell out the 4 (four) or 340-4 Barrel?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 11:06 PM

Quote:

Bill
Was the name plate only on the drivers side? The reason I ask, is because the 70-71 parts book only lists 1 required.

I think it was a slip in the parts book... same two pin nameplate used on both left and right side, 3443246 cast on the backside...3 pin shaker is 3577361 cast on backside, same one for both sides of the shaker scoop

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 11:39 PM

Terry,
Did the Challenger shaker bubble use the same 340 emblem as the Cuda?

Does this look correct?

From the 70-71 Parts Book.
Plymouth - 340 Four Barrel - 3577361 - Shaker
Plymouth - Cuda 340 - 3443159 - Non Shaker.
Dodge - 340-4 Barrel - 3443247

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/02/10 11:59 PM

Challenger shaker used 340 FOUR BARREL, same as steel hood Challenger, only it had 3 pins.
Cuda shaker used CUDA 340 with 3 pins, and 2 pins on the steel hood nameplate.
Here's the steel hood 2 pin on the top and the shaker 3 pin on the bottom.

Attached picture 5706703-z340shaker1.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:18 AM

Quote:

Bill
Can you post a picture? Does it spell out the 4 (four) or 340-4 Barrel?

I'll ck tomorrow . I think it only had the 2 pins on the backside - attaches with barrel/tube nuts as there is no way to get to the backside for a palnut
It was the original no crush zone hood and still had both 70 only fenders so I believe the car to have been all original metal/emblems.
No 'V8' emblems anywhere to be found.
Posted By: topside

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:30 AM

I'm by no means an E-body expert, but the '70 Chally that's burned into my memory - I was trying to figure out how to buy it off the Dodge dealer's lot in Van Nuys, CA - was a light green 340, dual-scoop hood with 340Fourbarrel nameplates, no V8 badges, Bee decals in the quarter windows, E60-15s on Rallyes, no wheel-opening mldgs. I was struck by how it appeared to be a detrimmed R/T with a small-block, why it wasn't an R/T, and the detail differences. I'm thinking it was soon after the Chally came out, just turning to fall, and I hadn't seen a T/A yet. I'm not as positive about the grille color, though.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:31 AM

Regarding the differences in the shaker and non shaker 340 FOUR BARREL nameplates, I might add that the 340 finish is brushed on the shaker and chrome on the steel, at least on NOS here. Also the 3 pins on the shaker are larger diameter and longer than steel hood one. Plus the pin on the BARREL end is in a different location on the shaker than on steel hood. A couple versions of the parts books have mistakes in nameplate part number listings.
Here's the backside of both and as you can see 3577361 is cast on the shaker and 3443246 on the 2 pin steel hood nameplate.
There was also a 3 prong 'CUDA 340 shaker nameplate along with a 2 prong steel hood version

Attached picture 5706786-z340shaker2.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:32 AM

First post of six, images from the 1970, 1970-71 & 1970-72 collision parts books. No mention of a 340 sticker at all & no mention of a 340 emblem at all for 1970 Challengers.

Attached picture 5706791-340emblem701.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:33 AM

2nd image from 1970;

Attached picture 5706794-340emblem702.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:34 AM

1970-71 -1

Attached picture 5706797-340emblem70-711.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:35 AM

2nd 70-71 image;

Attached picture 5706799-340emblem70-712.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:35 AM

70-72 book image 1;

Attached picture 5706802-340emblem70-721.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 12:36 AM

70-72 image 2;

Attached picture 5706807-340emblem70-722.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 01:57 AM

How about info on the fender V8 emblems . What does it say in the books, what cars got them, was there any changes during the year ? What I am seeing here is flat hood and early sport hoods with no call out and sport hood with decal got the V-8 fender emblems and later sport hood cars with 340 emblems didn't have the V8 on fenders ?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 02:00 AM

The V-8 emblems are in these books, but do not show an engine size application.

There is a seperate fender emblem for the 383 4-v flat hood cars though.

Also, if the 340 decal is a factory part, it would have a part # & someone here will find a record of it sooner or later.

If not, we will just wonder about it forever.
Posted By: anlauto

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 02:59 AM

Quote:

Also, if the 340 decal is a factory part, it would have a part # & someone here will find a record of it sooner or later.

I'm not really buying it until I see an NOS one with a part number on the backside. It makes no sense for Chrysler to make these if they had the emblems....

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 03:25 AM

There is no reference to any 340 four barrel Challenger emblems/nameplates in any versions of the 70 parts book, I have checked them all. The V8 emblem appears to be the emblem of choice for all cars that are either 318, 340, and 383+2 equipped cars. The 23 section of the 70 parts book(all editions and changeup additions/supercessions) show the JH hardtop model with a flat hood only, and either a V8 or 383 four barrel emblem on the fender. It is as if the 340 motor in a Challenger did not exist in the parts book for 1970.
Posted By: topside

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 03:36 AM

If you think the '70 parts book is bad, you should see what they're like nowadays. Rear body panel for an '07 Charger isn't shown or listed; you have to turn the VIN filter off and order one for an '06. Many Sprinter parts are not listed, side panels using VIN often are wrong, etc.
I spend hours per week helping the Parts guys find the parts I need. I don't think the parts books are always unassailable as far as accuracy.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 04:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not really buying it until I see an NOS one with a part number on the backside. It makes no sense for Chrysler to make these if they had the emblems....

That's the problem, there were NO "340 Four Barrel" emblems at the start of the '70 model year. The A66 "package" didn't exist either at that time. I wonder if there were any 340 4bbl Challenger "road tests" in any magazines?

I have seen flat hood 340 cars and always thought the "R/T hood" was an option (now it appears that may have been an early thing?).

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 05:36 AM

Thanks 1 Wild (Randy)!

This is turning into a good read! The 70 Challenger has not been touched by me this is exactly how I bought it in 86, it shows no signs of repair work or damage other than the hood repaint, the car came with hood blackout and that was never reinstalled after repaint??? I'm really glad they tapped off the decals.The wheellip mlds. have been on the car since I bought it and look like they were factory installed but i didnt buy it new so??? Its a cool car orignal paint but tired,hate to loose the orignal paint but it really needs resto! Ever since buying the car I always keep an eye out for 340 decal cars seen a few but not many.

Alan wish I had an NOS decal, I have so much NOS for this car been collecting stuff for it since 86, bought a NOS grill,Headlight bezels, all 4 sidemarkers, taillights and turnsignal lens from Gateway Mopar (Scott S) about 87 for 800.00 at nats but never came across decal, seems cheap today but I was whining in 87

Car was found by a friend of mine in GA he bought it from the original owner (lady) and he and another friend went to pick it up asking price 3k while they were trailering it home friend two said he would like to purchase the car if it ever comes up for sale so new owner tacked on 1k and said we can drop it off at your house, two weeks later I saw car and told friend if it ever comes up for sale Please let me know he said for 1K more than he paid I can take it home, so it came home and being the pack rat I am its stayed with us.

Alan one thing I can assure you I didnt print these decals up, years ago I talked to Ron Adair and he supposingly had an NOS for 350.00 never saw it and wouldnt have paid it in the nintys but thats the only one I've ever heard of........Paul
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/03/10 08:24 AM

Quote:

That's the problem, there were NO "340 Four Barrel" emblems at the start of the '70 model year. The A66 "package" didn't exist either at that time. I wonder if there were any 340 4bbl Challenger "road tests" in any magazines?

I have seen flat hood 340 cars and always thought the "R/T hood" was an option (now it appears that may have been an early thing?).

Sort of... Car Life December 1969 has a real early Challenger 340 Sublime, flat hood car on the cover. In that magazine is the "Genghis Grape" 440 six pack 4 speed convertible road test.

Car Life December 1969 article excerpt:

"We had a chance to briefly compare the 440 R/T [sixpack] tested here with a Challenger carrying a 340 engine on 318 suspension. It's on the cover (we like lime-green almost as well as we like metallic grape) but it's not tested because it's not a car you can buy. Dodge built it for another magazine.

We have an interoffice bet on whether the suspension/engine confusion gets noticed there, in case anybody wants to thumb though our rivals on the newsstand

The 318 suspension was softer, as you'd expect, and more comfortable on the highway and over rough roads. Mile understeer showed up on fast turns but the car felt so secure we had to get out and check the thing before we decided it didn't have the optional suspension. The 318 Challenger come with a standard suspension that an enthusiast will like, and that something we don't say very often. The production 340 has and anti roll bar in the back to increase roll stiffness without hurting ride in a straight line. The 440 can't do this, because the big engine need those big spring and more roll resident would make the car skitter off course tail first. Both Challengers we've driven handle well., but we're still looking forward to a real 340."

-typing class is over.

Attached picture 5707629-CarLifeDec69HalfCover.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/04/10 03:50 PM

Quote:

Alan one thing I can assure you I didnt print these decals up, years ago I talked to Ron Adair and he supposingly had an NOS for 350.00 never saw it and wouldnt have paid it in the nintys but thats the only one I've ever heard of........Paul

I was the one that brought these "decals" up in the thread and I can assure you they were original and real. I knew, even back in the eigthies, that there was something strange about them.
Jeff
Posted By: ragtop

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/04/10 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have a Motorcade magazine that does a road test of an A66 car. It has a flat hood. Any other info you need?
Posted By: BJohnson

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/04/10 05:03 PM

Quote:

I have a Motorcade magazine that does a road test of an A66 car. It has a flat hood. Any other info you need?

Sounds like a couple of test mules were built. A 340 with 318 suspension?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/04/10 05:09 PM

Quote:

What issue & can you post pics?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/04/10 06:38 PM

those decals look like the early prismatic cal custom stuff ...they made those decals in every variety.. i bet thats what they are... dan

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/04/10 09:52 PM

those decals look like the early prismatic cal custom stuff ...they made those decals in every variety.. i bet thats what they are... dan

Dont think thats the case! Seen at least 10-12 cars through the years some of the members here that have been playing with these cars many many years have also seen them and the decal is NOT prismatic. ...........Paul
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 02:38 AM

While someone is hunting pics of the decals....let's about radiators for a minute! Since a 2998949 and a 2998974 are both listed as being for cars with a 340, which one is considered more correct? I've seen A66 cars with an example of each. My 70 A66 is a non AC car, and I pulled a bonehead move back in the early 80's.....and swapped the original radiator into another car. I sold the other car I have since bought a 949 radiator,but I'm not positive that would be the correct one. The most recent A66 that I have seen which is mostly original belongs to Moparts member Burkenator. His had a 974 radiator. Barry...Scott? Oh, BTW...my car has a factory argent grill and Rallye hood with emblems instead of stickers.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 02:53 AM

I only have 10 A66 broadcast sheets on file so far, all 10 show the 74 radiator.

Not all of them show the J54 hood.

Hopefully more A66 owners or folks with broadcast sheets for them either register or contact me.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:06 AM

The 949 rad is for max cooling cars, ones I believe with optional axle packages. The 974 is for all others. Barry, is this correct?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:19 AM

Thanks Barry. Just my luck....lol. I'll register it when I move it from my basement to my new garage. I have the tag, but the sheet is MIA. It's a Hamtrmack car, numbers matching 340/727. FK5 with black interior. I've owned it since 79.
Posted By: Furyman

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:21 AM

Dec69 Popular Mechanics.Paul Goldsmith runs the FJ5 promo car.Fairly loaded...4 gear with 391's,6 way,rim blow,pop top etc etc.

Attached picture 5712175-J1.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:23 AM

Quote:

The 949 rad is for max cooling cars, ones I believe with optional axle packages. The 974 is for all others. Barry, is this correct?

I know for 100% certain that the radiator I took out of it and put in the other car was a 3 row radiator. Is a 974 a 2 or 3 row? My car came with a 3.23 SG, but I don't know if that would be considered an axle package.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:25 AM

I remember a couple of flat hood 340 J's

Attached picture 5712193-J2.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:28 AM

next page

Attached picture 5712207-J3.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:30 AM

next

Attached picture 5712215-J4.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:33 AM

"sports a handgrip"

Attached picture 5712217-J5.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 03:54 AM

Heres one with a 949.Oh ya its FJ5 as well.H0B173010

Attached picture 5712273-Scan.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 04:09 AM

Another later one.974 rad and J54.

Attached picture 5712313-Scan1.jpg
Posted By: dilvoy

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 04:50 AM

Quote:

I only have 10 A66 broadcast sheets on file so far, all 10 show the 74 radiator.

Hopefully more A66 owners or folks with broadcast sheets for them either register or contact me.

Mine has the 74 Radiator and the J54 Hood. I think is late production 1970.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 05:36 AM

Great article Furyman I noticed the date 12/69 and the car is still wearing a Flat Hood ? There seems to be a few A66 cars showing up with wheel lip moulding also. Now I just need to see a few more with a Black grille. I guess it is good to keep our minds open when were dealing with these cars. It seems to me there are probably alot more of these cars running around that had a flat hood originally that now have the rallye hood also. Now how about the rear Torque Boxes ? did all A66 cars have them ? or just the 4 spd and axle package cars. Whats your A66 car have ? Thanks

Attached picture 5712513-P1010515.JPG
Posted By: Cooter

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 05:49 AM

Quote:

First post of six, images from the 1970, 1970-71 & 1970-72 collision parts books. No mention of a 340 sticker at all & no mention of a 340 emblem at all for 1970 Challengers.

Not sure if I am helping or hindering, but I realized I had a ratty 70-71 parts book sitting on my shelf since about '84. It is from December '71. Here is the only part number listed for a "340 4 Barrel", and it was for the shaker. No mention that I can find anywhere else. It is interesting that it is listed as 3443 247, one number off the number on the back of the steel hood emblem. They also list 3 numbers for the Hemi- a single, and then a left and a right further down.

Attached picture 5712529-Challengerstuff001resize.jpg
Posted By: Cooter

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 05:59 AM

Part Numbers..

Attached picture 5712545-Challengerstuff002resize.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 07:48 AM

12/69 would mean that the car test and article was probably done in the August time frame.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 08:13 AM

Quote:

12/69 would mean that the car test and article was probably done in the August time frame.

From the article what the article says, the test was done the day after Richard Brickhouse won the 69 Talladaga 500 (September 14, 1969)

The PM article says the car has Rallye suspension. But the Car Life article says it just had 318 suspension and "predicted" the other magazine testing the car would omit or not realize that fact.

Paul Goldsmith worked for and drove for Nichels Engineering in 1969 who's primary cash cow was Chrysler Corp. It would be like Jeff Gordon trying to give you an unbiased opinion on a Chevy Monte Carlo. Probably worse than that.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/05/10 12:42 PM

I have a hood that has the 340 four barrel decals. I think they are in a little shape then the one on Pauls convert. Better color is all. I'll get a picture next time I go out to visit my cars. Good thread
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/06/10 01:34 AM

""I only have 10 A66 broadcast sheets on file so far, all 10 show the 74 radiator.

Hopefully more A66 owners or folks with broadcast sheets for them either register or contact me.""

Barry,
I do not have a build sheet but I do have a fender tag of my March built A66/J54 car. Would this tag info help any?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/06/10 01:48 AM

It all helps.

Nigel,
Thanks for posting those two, both are new to me.

Barry
Posted By: Jody

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/06/10 03:33 AM

Way cool thread. Check out this A66 Challenger. Super late SPD. with some neat options.

Attached picture 5714732-BuildSheets004.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/06/10 05:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What issue & can you post pics?

It is April. Also has V8 fender emblems and wheel lip moldings.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/06/10 05:49 AM

Is it the "sublime" car with a white vinyl top, 14" white stripe tires on "rallye wheels"?

Can you post pics or a scan?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/06/10 05:57 AM

Quote:

Way cool thread. Check out this A66 Challenger. Super late SPD. with some neat options.

Black 340-auto car, no vinyl top or stripes, blue bench seat interior, A/C &
front & rear spoilers

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/07/10 03:30 AM

Quote:

Is it the "sublime" car with a white vinyl top, 14" white stripe tires on "rallye wheels"?

Can you post pics or a scan?

Not the Sublime car. This is Plum Crazy, White Vinyl top, white bumble bee, spoiler, louvers, AC, rallye wheels, 15" tires, bumper gaurds, flip top, PS, Pdb, auto, tinted, AM/FM, duel rear speakers, console, six way, rallye dash, duel painted mirrors, & Sure Grip.

Sorry, no scan.

This car looks like the rear tail panel is black. Also in the 1970 Dodge Challenger sales brochure shows a Challenger R/T W/bumble Bee stripe, with the tail panel black also. Does this say that all color bumble bee stripes come with black tail panel? Thanks.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/07/10 03:34 AM

The ones that appear to have black tail panels are usually discovered to actually have the A63 molding group with the astrotone rear finish panel.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/07/10 08:53 PM

Quote:

The ones that appear to have black tail panels are usually discovered to actually have the A63 molding group with the astrotone rear finish panel.

So the Sale brochure was too early, and they decided later on, to omit the black tail panel on bumble strips cars? Thanks.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/07/10 10:02 PM

A63 was available the whole model year.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/07/10 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So the Sale brochure was too early, and they decided later on, to omit the black tail panel on bumble strips cars? Thanks.

If it was to early then please explain the bright trim above the tail lights. Have a part number for it?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/08/10 03:46 AM

Quote:

The page at this link;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Challenger0024.jpg

shows the A66 code in the data book. I have another page with a list of revised pages to 'change out' to update the book, sadly, it is not dated. This page is on the list though. If anyone has page 116 & it looks different than that one in any way, I would love to see it.

Barry

Anybody?
Posted By: Haapakowalski

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/10/10 03:48 PM

Quote:

Is that copy from JH23H0B234993? I ask because i own that car. It's original FJ5 sublime.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/10/10 05:12 PM

Quote:

This is in the "Dodge Material" brochure with the 440-6 shaker 70 Challenger on the cover, brochure dated 9/69

Terry,
If you have a scanner, I would love to see the whole thing? I could host it on HH if you like.

Barry

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/10/10 07:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that copy from JH23H0B234993? I ask because i own that car. It's original FJ5 sublime.

Yes, & it's a poor copy. Could you post or email a quality scan for the thread?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/11/10 03:22 AM

E60 Tires

Attached picture 5726801-u82c.jpg
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/11/10 02:32 PM

Always good to learn more about the A66 cars.

Tav
Posted By: Haapakowalski

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/11/10 04:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, & it's a poor copy. Could you post or email a quality scan for the thread?

This is very intresting, because i don't have original or even copy of it. What it says and where did you get it? This my car was on ebay about 2 years ago and then there was window sticker, but when i get car it was gone and i don't know where this document is now. Here is the car:

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/12/10 02:56 AM

Here is the third of three consecutive VIN's. The first two I own, this one met a cruel end. All I have for it is a rubbing of the fender tag. As you can see it is also an A66 car.

V5X Y07 26 EN2
V1W A66 M21 N41 N42 R11
EB3 H4B5 000 A27 C01075
E55 D32 JH27 H0B 171579

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/12/10 04:19 AM

a bench seat ragtop A66 Challenger w/drip trough mouldings - that was an odd duck

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/12/10 04:23 AM

No V3_ top either, so it must be a 23.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/12/10 01:33 PM

Ooops, sorry, it is/was a JH car. No bench seat with a JS car either.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/17/10 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The page at this link;

Barry

Anybody?

Still hoping someone has this.......
Posted By: Culvers

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/18/10 03:06 PM

my page 116 (without Code A66)

sorry for the bad scan

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/18/10 05:53 PM

Ah-ha! Thank you!

Is there any chance you can get a higher resolution scan & email it to me?

I can give you a list of the other pages that were changed also, hopefully your book has all the pages from the first revision.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/18/10 06:02 PM

Top of the list;

Attached picture 5743378-1970databooktop.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/18/10 06:04 PM

bottom;

Attached picture 5743383-1970databookbottom.jpg
Posted By: Culvers

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/18/10 09:21 PM

Quote:

Is there any chance you can get a higher resolution scan & email it to me?

I will try...

My book has only 192 pages (plus the comparison cover), the Comparison Sektion is empty

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/18/10 10:46 PM

The comparison section was an addition, completely new to you since yours was apparently (and thankfully) not updated.

I have a spare set I will send you in appreciation for the scans.

Please save each page as a jpg file?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/18/10 10:55 PM

I had to double check, but I actually have a spare set of all the updated pages on the list above. They are yours in trade for scans of the early pages.

I can add them to HH & we all win that way, more obscure history recorded.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/18/10 11:37 PM

I tried to clean it up a bit.

Attached picture 5744030-AccessoryGroup.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/19/10 05:03 AM

That's a great find! Thanks again for all your hard work Barry.

Tav
Posted By: 472 R/T SE

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/20/10 06:12 AM

EV2A66, I may have talked to you. It would have been Sunbust '08. I remember talking to someone at length about A66 cars but didn't see him last year.

I thought the odds of 2 A66 cars restored correct at the same show to be slim let alone parked next to each other @ Sunbust last year, but now there'll be two similar colored A66 cars running around up there.

This gentleman parked next to me last year. Just finished the restoration on it, first show for it.

Sucks taking pictures at car shows.

Fender tags I've saved over the years.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/20/10 11:29 PM

Quote:

EV2A66, I may have talked to you. It would have been Sunbust '08. I remember talking to someone at length about A66 cars but didn't see him last year.

I thought the odds of 2 A66 cars restored correct at the same show to be slim let alone parked next to each other @ Sunbust last year, but now there'll be two similar colored A66 cars running around up there.

This gentleman parked next to me last year. Just finished the restoration on it, first show for it.

Sucks taking pictures at car shows.

Fender tags I've saved over the years.

Wow that last tag has an intended build date just 3 days before mine, and about 1000 cars earlier on the VIN. By the way there is an A66 car coming up at Barrett Jackson on Friday (Jan. 22 2010).

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/20/10 11:35 PM

Quote:

By the way there is an A66 car coming up at Barrett Jackson on Friday (Jan. 22 2010).

Yeah that's my old car, Lot #940. That's it in the above picture. I sold it last October. There was a scratch on the pass. side door that was there when I bought it that he had fixed was the only thing he did. Real anxious to see what it brings. I have a buddy who took 4 cars down there this year that was trying to talk me into taking it down there.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/20/10 11:45 PM

I don't know if anyone noticed on the above EK2 car, the Challenger script on the trunk lid is spaced away from the edge enough for an R/T script.

Mine didn't have one at all.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/20/10 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

By the way there is an A66 car coming up at Barrett Jackson on Friday (Jan. 22 2010).

Yeah that's my old car, Lot #940. That's it in the above picture. I sold it last October. There was a scratch on the pass. side door that was there when I bought it that he had fixed was the only thing he did. Real anxious to see what it brings. I have a buddy who took 4 cars down there this year that was trying to talk me into taking it down there.

Well here is hoping that he gets less for it than he paid you That is unless you have another one to sell....

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/20/10 11:54 PM

Quote:

I don't know if anyone noticed on the above EK2 car, the Challenger script on the trunk lid is spaced away from the edge enough for an R/T script.

Mike, any idea when it's scheduled to go on?

I can't remember 100% ,but I don't think that car ever had any nameplate on the decklid, trunk was still original paint

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/21/10 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike, any idea when it's scheduled to go on?

I can't remember 100% ,but I don't think that car ever had any nameplate on the decklid, trunk was still original paint

I looked through the A66 cars I have & the ones that aren't cloned don't have the scrip.

Not sure when it'll go across, it's towards the beginning of the day so my guess is before 6 west coast time.

EDIT: Tomorrow's broadcasting starts @ 11am so I'd say 1-3. A person could always watch again @ 9pm for it's rerun.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/21/10 02:52 AM

Hello Mike, yes that might have been me at Sunbust 08. That was a very nice A66 you had. I did make it to the 09 Sunbust but got there late, did get to see the EK2 A66 nice. Great vin tag pics. These A66 cars seem to be an odd duck out there with so many variations. I have a Challenger trunk emblem on my A66 and it is about 4" from side of trunk lid. The EK2 cars trunk emblem is definitely farther over than mine. Lots of great info coming out in this post everyone Thanks.

Attached picture 5749238-Pic271.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/21/10 03:12 AM

If anyone has questions this is my former car. It was a very un-molested car. Mostly original paint, all original top and interior when I bought it. Even had the original dated mufflers and resonators in place, although the head pipes and over axle pipes had been replaced.

I'll be keeping a close eye to see how it does. As there's a little piece of me that misses it.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...d=304&pop=1
Posted By: mopargem

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/21/10 03:48 AM

Quote:

Great car, what a perfect balance for a pony car ment for road driving. You know Zora nevered wanted a big block in the vette either. Bill I remember your car at one of the shows like Tricounty or Clay City.... NICE

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/21/10 05:19 PM

Quote:

Hello Mike, yes that might have been me at Sunbust 08. That was a very nice A66 you had. I did make it to the 09 Sunbust but got there late, did get to see the EK2 A66 nice. Great vin tag pics. These A66 cars seem to be an odd duck out there with so many variations. I have a Challenger trunk emblem on my A66 and it is about 4" from side of trunk lid. The EK2 cars trunk emblem is definitely farther over than mine. Lots of great info coming out in this post everyone Thanks.

Is that you in the picture?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/22/10 04:10 AM

I was looking at the EK2 Challenger and noticed that it did not have the V8 emblems on the front fenders. Most the early A66 cars I have seen regardless of hood style seem to have them. yes that is me.

Attached picture 5751726-hood.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/22/10 04:18 AM

I've seen you before. The gentleman I talked to in '08 was older.
So that'll make 4 A66 cars in the Seattle area. That black fender tag I posted that's a FC7 car is from up there too. He had it for sale several different times but is trying to get what he paid for it in '05.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/23/10 01:40 AM

Quote:

If anyone has questions this is my former car. It was a very un-molested car. Mostly original paint, all original top and interior when I bought it. Even had the original dated mufflers and resonators in place, although the head pipes and over axle pipes had been replaced.

I'll be keeping a close eye to see how it does. As there's a little piece of me that misses it.

Wow, it went for $62,700. An RT/SE 440 4bbl only went for $48,400!!!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/23/10 03:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I watched it go thru on Speedtv.com, it stalled in the mid 30's and was about to hammer down when it just took off and climed to the mid 50's in a matter of seconds. It looked GREAT under the lights.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/23/10 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I watched it go thru on Speedtv.com, it stalled in the mid 30's and was about to hammer down when it just took off and climed to the mid 50's in a matter of seconds. It looked GREAT under the lights.

I missed it, and they don't have it up on the speedtv site yet.

What did the commentators have to say about it? Were they surprised that it went for so much?

FC7 A66 tag my car! - 01/27/10 01:09 AM

dano here it is

Attached picture 5762153-ebag029.jpg

Re: FC7 A66 tag my car! - 01/27/10 01:10 AM

car

Attached picture 5762157-2003_0814_142552AA.JPG

Re: FC7 A66 tag my car! - 01/27/10 01:11 AM

no sign of any hood stickers [car was orig paint] had V-8 on fenders..no sign of trunk lid emblem but it could have been there no Sheet unfortunately #,s matching eng/trans
Posted By: 440fied

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/28/10 07:22 AM

A few pics of a friends A66 I helped sell about 12 years ago. I remember it was a 4 speed, manual steering, air conditioning, non-ralley gauges, EK2 with a black interior and rear stripe. The grille that came with it in the trunk was argent, had the remnants of 340 emblems on the hood, and an 11-1969 build. JH23H0B

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/28/10 03:14 PM

Hey, that's a "Rock" car.
Looks like it has a black A93 coupe steering wheel.
What's that little round hole to the left of the radio opening?

Tav
Posted By: radiatorman

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 01/31/10 01:06 AM

So can you have an argent grill with a black eggcrate section? The grill on a Feb 19th built a66 car I picked up has that grill type. Not an expert on paint, but if someone repainted that grill they did and unbelieveable job back in the late 70's.

Bob

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 02/04/10 03:44 AM

Hey,did not mean to dig up an old thread..but..
Found this for sale..A bit of a Frankenstien (72-up fenders,71 tailpanel) but seller claims to be an "actual" 340 auto convertible..
I sent an Email to verify if it had the A66 code on the tag--if it still has one.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=1...v4yUAwMGeLIF5E*

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 02/04/10 03:19 PM

That purple convert is a real 340 car but it's tough...ie rotten unibody.The person that purchased it last year was a GM guy who had always lusted after E Bodys but knew nothing about the rust issues that are common to them in these parts.That car also had a AAR dash tag on it....not sure if thats been corrected or not.I believe that car needs heavy reconstruction much like the purple shaker 71 that Keith Sims just did the unibody on.Might as well buy a better car which is what the current owner is hopeing to do...flip the rotten lump and upgrade.
Posted By: Dartman440

This will be a good one. - 02/05/10 03:56 PM

Ok, I just found this thread. I have owned a ton of A66 cars. 70 and 71's even real 71 rally 340 shaker cars. Paul's convert is the coolest ragtop and is original. I seen it when he forst brought it back. The hood decals are original 3M reflective in the engine size 340. The four barrel letters were red with black outlines like a pot metal emblem. Chrysler did not have part numbers for all their decals. I worked at Chrysler Dealers in the mid 70's in parts. I used to buy all the nos parts I could back then. I had a LIL Red Express when the were still on the lot and I wanted the decal on the top of the air cleaner lid. Guess what no # part number in the book. I called Hamtramck parts Identifier system.I went thru top parts book guys who put the parts books together No Record of the decal and did not know what I was talking about. So no mopar was not by the book. I have seen the decals on other cars years ago. Nobody would have had these made back then to sell. Who would have done a 340 car. These would have been too expensive to make. I have owned an all original California 340 FC7 340 auto A66 convert with Same color stripe as Paul's. It had great options.I am trying to buy it back. The others were FJ5 Sublime cars built early at the LA Plant. It was in Michigan two years ago. They all had Silver grilles. All cars were original unmolested cars. Chrysler was the most loosest controlled Car Co. Getting back to the LIL Red Lid. You had to order the chrome lid and it came without the sticker. I will try to find some pics of those cars. I still have the FC7 Ragtop Plate that reads 340 Vert.

Attached picture 5784222-70Chall340SubLftFr4t.jpg

Re: This will be a good one. - 02/05/10 05:05 PM

Quote:

.... I have owned an all original California 340 FC7 340 auto A66 convert with Same color stripe as Paul's. It had great options.I am trying to buy it back. .... I still have the FC7 Ragtop Plate that reads 340 Vert.

Did that car come from the LA area? I think Julius might have owned it at one time. I think he at least worked on it for the lady? that owned it. In '98 or so I ran into someone here on Moparts that owned that car from Michagan. I think the first person in Michagan to own it. Maybe you? Might have been a molding package car.

Re: This will be a good one. - 02/06/10 04:18 AM

Hi AutoX. Yes the car came from the LA area. She worked for a movie studio as a execs secretary.They wanted to use this car for a lot of things there but she would never let them because they would scratch up cars mounting the cameras and such or run them hard. Julius never owned it. She lived in Sherman Oaks. Yes I brought it to Mich in 98' Sold it to guy who had to have it more than me. I bought it back a year and a half later. Sold it again. Been trying to buy it back. It was all original unrestored. I am looking for pics right now to post.

Dean

Found some of the FC7 A66 Ragtop - 02/06/10 05:13 AM

WOW, going thru 30 years of pics. Lots of rare cars.I found a few on the A66 Ragtop. FC7, White top and Interior. White Bumble bee stripe. A/C. Power top. Both chrome racing mirrors.Front and rear Bumper guards. NON rally dash. Front Valance chrome. Six way seat. AM FM stereo. Power steering and power disc brakes. Rally hood. Dual exhaust with chrome tips. No wheel lip Mldgs. 3;23 Posi. Front and rear sway bars. Bucket seats and console. 14" magnum 500's. Hood Pins. These pics are not the greatest. Silver grille.

Attached picture 5785694-70ChallFC7340RagFrt.jpg

Re: Found some of the FC7 A66 Ragtop - 02/06/10 05:15 AM

One more

Attached picture 5785696-70ChallFC7340RaglFT.jpg

Re: Found some of the FC7 A66 Ragtop - 02/06/10 05:31 AM

A better one

Attached picture 5785713-70ChallFC7340RagRear.jpg
Posted By: 71383beep

Re: Found some of the FC7 A66 Ragtop - 02/06/10 03:47 PM

Man that is just another cool little thing about these cars from Dodge. I never new that for 70 there was a special package for the 340 that was dressed not quite like an R/T! Very neat.

Also amazes me that they offered most of the stuff avail for the R/T but used the standard dash! Weird!

Keep the stories coming cause I just love this thread...

Re: This will be a good one. - 02/06/10 07:37 PM

Hey Dartman great info and pictures. I was wondering did any of your cars have the V-8 emblem on the fenders ? and do you recall the build dates were they after mid nov. ? I also noticed the challenger emblem on trunk looks to be same location as mine. Sure was alot of variations on these cars. Thanks

Re: This will be a good one. - 02/07/10 12:16 AM

Here's a fender pic from a 11/18/69 A66 Challenger, LA assembled.

Attached picture 5787199-DSC09751.JPG

More old pics - 02/07/10 02:00 PM

Man this thread has me going thru thirty plus years of pics. It is making me cry over some of them I let get away. None of my A66 cars had V8 emblems. All were very early cars. My FC7 Ragtop did not have any engine callout. Hood and fender was blank. Here is a shot. This is an old photo taken in the desert in Phelan Ca. when it was getting loaded to ship to Mich.

Attached picture 5788290-70ChallFC7340RagLft2.jpg

Re: More old pics - 02/07/10 02:26 PM

Here it is the day it arrived in Mich. I had to clean it up good. It was winter time coming across the country. This was just after I washed it. Had bumper guards frt and rear and front lower valance chrome. Hood pins. Non rally dash.

Attached picture 5788327-70ChallFC7340RagFrtLft.jpg

Sublime Eng. Comp - 02/07/10 02:34 PM

Here is the engine comp. on the sublime car. The paint and most of the components were original. Rad was replaced with a Pep Boy's replacement. I like the Shaker sticker it was a real one not a repop that second owner put on when he bought it from the dealer. Still has alum tag on the master cyl.

Attached picture 5788337-70Chall340SubLftEng.jpg

Re: Sublime Eng. Comp - 02/07/10 06:20 PM

Dartman, thanks for sharing; and more, more please, if you have them. Rumor has it that most rag top A66 cars got RT badges, which they shouldn't have but most did anyways. Have you seen any evidence of that?

Re: This will be a good one. - 02/08/10 08:01 PM

Quote:

Here's a fender pic from a 11/18/69 A66 Challenger, LA assembled.

Did this car have a rallye hood and if so did it have engine callout ? It sure seems around this time frame or a little later is when the V-8 emblem went away if they had the rallye hood.
Thanks

Re: This will be a good one. - 02/09/10 05:49 AM

I have never seen a A66 Car with R/T badges from the factory. The R/T emblems were only around $6.00 back then. People used to put them on 318 cars all the time. I remember I used to go into the parts department @ Westborn C.P. in Dearborn and buy 66 Hemi fender emblems for $3.95 all day long. I used to put them on everything. And yes before it's time I used to say Yeah It's got a Hemi in it. All my A66 Cars had a J54 rally hood. They were built very early. I have never seen an A66 car with V8 Emblems. A ton of 318 cars did. There is a guy I sold back in 1986 An A66 B3 with white top and interior 340 Auto. All original unrestored. It had a 383 Auto someone stuffed in it. They never finished getting it running. It was A H.P. 383. It had low miles like 24,000. I am trying to find pics of it. I have a friend of mine who has a A66 ragtop he has had since 1981. 340 Auto. DY3 Cream. Black top and interior.Loaded. A/C. power top and disc brakes. Black top and interior. The car has rally dash w/tach. Sport hood. Both mirrors. Power top. I have pics of it all original. It was a Feb 70 I believe. It might have had the V8 Emblems. Trying to fire up the way back machine to remember.

Attached picture 5792585-70Chall340SubRearRt.jpg

Re: This will be a good one. - 02/09/10 05:54 AM

Close up. These are old old pics.

Attached picture 5792590-70Chall340SubGrillLft.jpg

A66 - 02/11/10 03:39 AM

Since we are posting old A66 photos here is a shot of my A66 convertible when it was new. It was built on March 3rd, 1970. I was able to hunt down the original owner back in 1980 when I owned the car and he gave me this photo. When I got the car in 1978 it was brown and picked up all the R/T emblems. I took it back to original and sold it in 1984.

Attached picture 5796565-A660001.jpg
Posted By: DetMatt

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 01:17 PM

I am not new to this site but I haven't been on in a long time and I have since bought an A66 car that is a basket case. It does have its original engine and trans, along with a fender tag and broadcast sheet. Here is how the f.t. reads:
05 26 EN2
G33 M21 N41 N42 R11 V9X
V1X A01 A66 C16 C55 G31
FK% H6K4 000 B13 016050
E55 D32 JH23H0Bxxxxxx
I love this car and this thread. I have my hands full with a `68 Road Runner resto so I won't be working on this A66 car for a while. It didn't have a hood on it so I can't help with the hood callout thing but it did/does have R/T badges on it that appear factory, although I know a lot can happen in 40 years. I do know that this car has been parked for at least 25 years, outside unfortunately.

Attached picture 5814194-IMG_3837_1.JPG

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 01:24 PM

More pics.
Notice the R/T badge. The R/T badges that were on the fenders were the stick-on type.

Attached picture 5814205-IMG_3447_1.JPG

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 01:28 PM

I've got plenty more pics, including build sheet, let's keep going on this one.

Attached picture 5814210-IMG_3479_6.JPG

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 02:10 PM

What wheels & tires are on the b'cast sheet?

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 04:25 PM

W21 Rallye Wheels, U82 E60-15 RWL Polyglass tires

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 05:19 PM

Hey DeMatt that's going to be a nice A66 when done. I noticed it looks to have wheel lip moldings, does it call them out on the B/S ? Is it still wearing the original paint and if so do you see any signs of having a V-8 emblem on the front fenders ? Your build date would put it in the time frame of when they stopped putting V-8 emblems on cars that had the rallye hood with engine the call out. This would be one of the earlier cars I have seen with out them even with the rallye hood.

Attached picture 5814579-hood.jpg

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 05:45 PM

Hey thanks!. Yes it is original paint. The box for the wheel lip moldings is not checked on the build sheet but it's got them, along with the R/T badges. Maybe these things were added early on at the dealer. Notice the nice stainless mud flap as well, anybody seen these before?, often wonder if these might have been avaliable through the dealerships.

Attached picture 5814619-IMG_4307_1.JPG

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 06:34 PM

Quote:

Hey thanks!. Yes it is original paint. The box for the wheel lip moldings is not checked on the build sheet but it's got them, along with the R/T badges. Maybe these things were added early on at the dealer. Notice the nice stainless mud flap as well, anybody seen these before?, often wonder if these might have been avaliable through the dealerships.

That picture above your last post is of my early build (928 SPD) A66 and has the same mud flaps. 99.9% sure it came from factory with wheel lip moldings. Could the mud flaps have something to do with a trim or tire package ?

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 06:49 PM

That picture above your last post is of my early build (928 SPD) A66 and has the same mud flaps. 99.9% sure it came from factory with wheel lip moldings. Could the mud flaps have something to do with a trim or tire package ?

I'll be darned, I didn't even notice the mud flap in your pic. I wonder why these things were not called out on my build sheet?.

Re: A66 - 02/18/10 11:01 PM

they are dealer installed is why dan

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 01:29 AM

Quote:

they are dealer installed is why dan

What was dealer installed ? mud flaps or wheel lip molding. All I know is the wheel lip molding screw holes look to put in with the same process as other cars I have had that were factory installed. Any other Hamtramck cars with mud flaps ? Hey Dan does your fender tag or B/S call out your rallye hood on your A66 ?

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 01:45 AM

Y05 26 EN2
G33 M21 N41 N42 R11 V9X
V1X A01 A66 C16 C55 G31
FK5 H6K4 000 B13 016050
E55 D32 JH23H0Bxxxxxx

I fixed a couple details for you.

Hard to tell from the photos, but I do not see fender top turn signal indicators? You could not get them with A01 on the Challengers with the raisin bran hood, so it is my guess that your car did not have the flat hood.

Look for L31 on your broadcast sheet to confirm it one way or the other.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 01:46 AM

Mud flaps were not a factory item on these cars.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 01:53 AM

hudson no sheet on mine sorry LA car.. seen those flaps on c bodies also no factory codes for them.. w/o mouldings were all installed the same way with a drill! dan

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 01:57 AM

no j54 on my fender tag

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 02:51 AM

Quote:

Hard to tell from the photos, but I do not see fender top turn signal indicators? You could not get them with A01 on the Challengers with the raisin bran hood, so it is my guess that your car did not have the flat hood.

Look for L31 on your broadcast sheet to confirm it one way or the other.

Raisin bran hood is that the flat hood ? It says in the salesmans pocket guide that turn-signal indicators N/A with 340 and R/T ? I would think that ment with the J54 hood (Sport,Rallye )and cars with the flat hood would have them ? I agree and think the car above probably had a rallye hood from the fact it did not have the V-8 emblems on fenders and build date.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 02:54 AM

Raisin Bran - Two scoops.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 03:06 AM

Quote:

Mud flaps were not a factory item on these cars.

My 70 Cuda (Hamtramck) had those mud flaps when I got it. I think they are just a universal auto parts store item from back in the day. Helps keep the rocks off your quarters when doing burnouts.

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 03:09 AM

Quote:

More pics.
Notice the R/T badge. The R/T badges that were on the fenders were the stick-on type.

The stick on R/T badges are for 71 cars. Your fender tag shows a 1969 build date. Looks like your stick on R/T badges were added by a previous owner who probably got them over the counter at the dealership.

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 03:22 AM

Quote:

Hey thanks!. Yes it is original paint. The box for the wheel lip moldings is not checked on the build sheet but it's got them,... ...Maybe these things were added early on at the dealer.

The vast majority of Challengers came with wheel well moldings as standard equipment. They are indicated on a challenger broadcast sheet.

Some cars like the T/As & A66 cars, etc., were not supposed to come with the standard challenger wheel well moldings. Those cars do not have a wheel well molding code on the broadcast sheet. Anyway, if such a car that wasn't supposed to have the moldings, did actually recieve them (possibly yours), then it was simply a mistake at the factory, and would still not be coded on the sheet.

Wheel well moldings were not optional on Challengers, so there was no way to special order them back onto your car if it was supposed to come without them.

barracudas on the other hand had wheel well moldings as an option, so on those cars, the moldings could have been officially added at the factory.

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 03:27 AM

Quote:

The vast majority of Challengers came with wheel well moldings as standard equipment. They are not indicated on a challenger broadcast sheet.

They are coded for Challengers that had them as standard equipment.

A66 cars & T/As have nothing in the wheel lip box.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 04:29 AM

EV2A66, is your "pocket salesman book" the same version posted on Hamtramck-Historical?

I don't think there was a "J54" code for the "raisin bran" hood until it became a purchasable OPTION on the Barracuda. Winter time?

M26 on b'cast sheet, car has wheel lip mouldings. No M26 - NO mouldings. (unless it was a mistake)

No L31 on the FK5/V1X/V9X b'cast sheet.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 06:29 AM

Quote:

EV2A66, is your "pocket salesman book" the same version posted on Hamtramck-Historical?

I don't think there was a "J54" code for the "raisin bran" hood until it became a purchasable OPTION on the Barracuda. Winter time?

M26 on b'cast sheet, car has wheel lip mouldings. No M26 - NO mouldings. (unless it was a mistake)

No L31 on the FK5/V1X/V9X b'cast sheet.

That's what I'am getting at was there a J54 sport,raisin bran, rallye hood code on these cars early on ? you answered that. And yes I got my copy of the salesmans book (date ?) off the Hamtramck site. Thanks Barry But the first 4 months of these cars are all over the place. My car has a flat hood with factory hood pins, at least it calls out the hood pins. Why don't the early cars call the sport,raisin bran, rallye hood out ? There seems to be few early cars A66 showing up with wheel lip moldings are they all dealer installed ?

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 07:54 AM

Obviously the "brass" wanted the Challenger to be all things to all people, and they were successful selling 83,000+ units in the first model year.

.... but late introduction of the "A66" package (what exactly was the package?) looks to have confused the line workers as much as it is confusing us.
I'm sure the early 340 Challengers caused all types of havoc on the assembly line.
The instructions for the "body-in-white" (fender tag) has JH "OOOPS" no R/T hood.
The "A66" cars were the first Challengers to be wheel-lip mouldingless, here comes a Challenger "OOOPS" it has wheel-lip mouldings now.
What's the next car in line its got a big white stripe, throw this black grill in it, "OOOPS"!
Posted By: rocketresto

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 06:17 PM

Quote:

Obviously the "brass" wanted the Challenger to be all things to all people, and they were successful selling 83,000+ units in the first model year.

.... but late introduction of the "A66" package (what exactly was the package?) looks to have confused the line workers as much as it is confusing us.
I'm sure the early 340 Challengers caused all types of havoc on the assembly line.
The instructions for the "body-in-white" (fender tag) has JH "OOOPS" no R/T hood.
The "A66" cars were the first Challengers to be wheel-lip mouldingless, here comes a Challenger "OOOPS" it has wheel-lip mouldings now.
What's the next car in line its got a big white stripe, throw this black grill in it, "OOOPS"!

I think this is the best explination yet for the differences in the early A66 cars.
Mike

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 06:26 PM

Very well said Dan!

Lots of people get all upset when we say things like A66 cars didn't get wheel lip moldings.

The retort ends up being "well when I bought mine new, it had them". It's irrelevant because the question wasn't talking about a single car. It was about a group of cars.

Could you order a 340 Challenger of any type with wheel lip moldings. The answer is no. Wheel lip molding aren't even on the order sheet since they were standard on all other Challengers.

Could one have been built with them, sure.

Same for grille surrounds. You could not specify the color, so nobody could order an A66 car with a black grille.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 07:29 PM

I put some numbers together, these are ballpark - NOT exact!

~ 410,000 cars built for '70 at Hamtramck & Los Angeles

1 out of every 5 cars was a Challenger body
1 out of every 20 cars was a Challenger R/T (incl. R/T SE)
1 out of every 60 cars was a 340 Challenger

1 out of every 4 Challengers was a R/T (incl. R/T SE)
1 out of every 5 Challengers was FC7 "plum crazy"
1 out of every 12 Challengers was an "A66" 340 package car

&

1 out of every 2 cars was a DUSTER body

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 07:44 PM

I am glad that I found mine, thank you craigslist!. Has anybody registered with Govier?, just curious.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 08:56 PM

Mine is.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 09:11 PM

Did he tell you anything about it you didn't already know?.

Re: A66 - 02/19/10 09:34 PM

Nope, but then I'm a little more versed in them than most people would be.

I didn't even bother with getting the letter since the combo is so odd that it would be 1 of 1 in his registry (which is really not that important.) So technically I just sent him the info and didn't pay for the registry stuff now that I think of it.

Re: A66 - 02/20/10 01:12 AM

As far as the flat hood / sport hood goes, I would love to see more early broadcast sheets for these cars. A broadcast sheet showing A01 with L31 would indicate a flat hood car. I do not have a sheet showing that - yet.

Also, are the hood springs different? I would think that a flat hood is a little bit lighter? If so, it may have used a lighter weight spring.

Can you guys with known original hoods count the coils & give the outer diameter of your springs for each hood type?

Anyone know the weights for both hoods?

Re: A66 - 02/20/10 11:16 PM

Quote:

They are coded for Challengers that had them as standard equipment.

A66 cars & T/As have nothing in the wheel lip box.

Many Thanks for correcting me Barry!! I'm Very Sorry if I've confused anyone with my incorrect statement above. I'm going to edit it out now so that it doesn't confuse anyone who runs across this thread in the future.

I guess I was thinking about how standard things like 2 speed wiper motors and non rallye gauges aren't coded on the sheet.

I've just looked at about 20 Challenger broadcast sheets, and they ARE coded M26 for wheel lip moldings. I also looked at 4 TA sheets, and 5 A66 sheets, and none of those had the wheel lip moldings marked on the sheet.

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/20/10 11:36 PM

Quote:

As far as the flat hood / sport hood goes, I would love to see more early broadcast sheets for these cars. A broadcast sheet showing A01 with L31 would indicate a flat hood car. I do not have a sheet showing that - yet.

All A66 cars...

SPD A06, without J54 code, with A01, without L31

SPD A28, can't read J54 area, can't read A01 area, without L31

SPD 219, with J54, without A01, without L31

SPD 220, with J54, without A01, without L31

SPD 730, with J54, without A01, without L31

That probably doesn't help much, but that's what I've got on the subject.

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

Also, are the hood springs different? I would think that a flat hood is a little bit lighter? If so, it may have used a lighter weight spring.

Can you guys with known original hoods count the coils & give the outer diameter of your springs for each hood type?

I researched some of that a couple years back. Here's a quote from my thread on the subject...

Quote:

Quote:

I guess while I'm on the topic of springs, I'll post the data for steel hood springs also.

barracuda: 24 coils, .215 spring thickness (with paint), 1 3/4 outside diameter, 5 1/8 long (without hooks)

challenger: 22 coils, .240 spring thickness (with paint), 1 15/16 outside diameter, 5 1/4 long (without hooks)

Tav

Found this in another thread and thought I'd post it here also since it's relevant.

Barnabas_Kriss wrote...
Quote:

Actually for the steel hoods, there are two kinds of springs, I researched this in the 70-71 factory parts book, and confirmed it on cars I owned/parted. One is 23 coils, used on 70 cuda/barracuda only. The other one is 18 coils, (wound from a thicker wire) used on 70 challengers, and all 71-74 E-bodies. This applies to all steel hoods (flat/rally/shaker).

Perhaps we've counted our coils differently, It can be tricky deciding if you should count the first and last ones with the hooks on them. Anyway, I thought I'd let everyone know this this needs looked into just a little more, and maybe a picture posted here showing a comparison.

Tav

Those spring measurements that I posted were from my 1970 'Cuda with J54 hood, and my 1970 Challenger with (early build no crumple zone) flat hood.

Here's a link to that old thread about springs if anyone's interested...
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post4202935

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 01:06 AM

Quote:

Anyone know the weights for both hoods?

I just happened to have a digital scale that I use for shipping UPS everyday, and a few hoods off of cars at the moment. Here's what I got...

1970 Challenger Flat hood (early build without crumple zones) totally stripped without any emblems, trim, etc., weighed 69 pounds.

1970 'Cuda J54 hood including latch bar, hood pin bezels, engine callout emblems, and both complete scoop inserts, also weighed 69 pounds.

ASC&P reproduction T/A hood totally stripped without any trim, squirters, etc., weighed 46 pounds.

The reproduction T/A hood is supposed to have some extra reinforcing, but should still be fairly representative of approximately what a T/A hood Weighs.

I was pretty surprised to see the two steel hoods weighed the same, even though they used different springs. I guess the scoops on the 'cuda hood made up for the weight of the extra front overhang on a challenger hood.

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 09:11 AM

On the subject of A66's here a weird one. Saw this browsing throught Nicksgarge's pictures of Spring Fling 2008.

A66, Western Sport Special, BL1 Beige, Tan interior,gator Grain top, AND Tan bumble bee stripe. Here's one for KissAlien's files if he doesn't allready have it.

Larger pics:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2574496150088776199dYjQNn
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2106159840088776199nxDPdl
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2689103110088776199ONBYUC

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 03:58 PM

Quote:

A66, Western Sport Special, BL1 Beige, Tan interior,gator Grain top, AND Tan bumble bee stripe. Here's one for KissAlien's files if he doesn't allready have it.

Wow, what a cool car!

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 04:21 PM

Sad that it was cloned it into a T/A.

The original combination was much nicer.

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 05:25 PM

Quote:

Sad that it was cloned it into a T/A.

The original combination was much nicer.

He had a one of one and cloned it
and now wants $50k for a clone. Sad indeed

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 06:14 PM

I tried to buy the car several years ago. The guy wouldn't sell, only wanted a trade which I didn't have. I don't know if the same guy cloned it into the T/A. Damn shame.

Attached picture 5820894-Mvc-010s.jpg

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 08:19 PM

Quote:

I tried to buy the car several years ago. The guy wouldn't sell, only wanted a trade which I didn't have. I don't know if the same guy cloned it into the T/A. Damn shame.

Was it out in CA when it was still a project?

Sadder yet, if it was a real T/A, not numbers motor, auto, repro hood, driver-decent resto... it might only be worth $50K.

Re: A66 - 02/21/10 11:52 PM

I think so, but I'd have to try to find my file on it. I'm not as organized as I used to be.

Re: A66 - 02/22/10 03:04 PM

Quote:

Some cars like the T/As & A66 cars, etc., were not supposed to come with the standard challenger wheel well moldings. Those cars do not have a wheel well molding code on the broadcast sheet. Anyway, if such a car that wasn't supposed to have the moldings, did actually recieve them (possibly yours), then it was simply a mistake at the factory, and would still not be coded on the sheet.
Wheel well moldings were not optional on Challengers, so there was no way to special order them back onto your car if it was supposed to come without them.
Tav

I think you are missing one of the larger sources of wheel lip moldings on non-wheel lip molding cars, the dealer!!! One of my old T/As had moldings on it. When I spoke to the original owner he told me the dealer offered and he accepted the installation of WLMs along with the carpets on the bottoms of the door panels before he took delivery of the car. I'm sure this happened a lot in order to make a sale or make more money for the dealer.
Jeff

Re: A66 - 02/23/10 05:00 PM

I agree totaly that a dealer could have modified a new car from how it came from the factory. That's not much different than having the 1st owner modify the car, or the first owner taking it to another shop to have the car modified. It would still be modified/customized, and not factory. The problem is that it can be very hard to determine when a modification was made and by who. Was it the dealer, 1st owner, 2nd owner, 2nd dealer when the car was traded in, 3rd owner, how do you decide where to draw the line? It's really a personal preference thing I guess.

I'm all for dealer installed options or other modifications if you can show reasonable evidence that they've been part of the car since early in its life. (I'm particularly fond of dealer installed underdash air conditioners, and hood tachs.)

I just can't bring myself to say that it's normal for cars to be different from how the factory made them because dealers modified them before the 1st sale of the car. Yes, it's very possible the dealer could have changed something to suit a customer, but if we're trying to draw the line between what is "correct" and what isn't, then "as delivered by the factory" is a very crisp line, while "as sold by the dealer" is a very blurry line.

Tav

Re: A66 - 02/23/10 05:19 PM

& factory mistakes should NOT be repeated unless there is PROOF.

Re: A66 - 02/23/10 09:50 PM

Quote:

& factory mistakes should NOT be repeated unless there is PROOF.

And even then (with proof), would you want to? I knew a T/A owner who swore she had an original T/A with the 340 six pak fender decals on the wrong sides (slanting backwards). She said this was factory. This also happens to be a common T/A restoration error so I would never want my car to have a visably wrong error like that, factory or not.

Re: A66 - 02/24/10 05:29 PM

here,s anohter one!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63598.0.html
Posted By: Troy68

Re: A66 - 03/16/10 04:34 AM

Quote:

here,s anohter one!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63598.0.html

That's mine. To answer a couple of the questions in this thread... A24 SPD. I believe the grill and 1 headlight bucket I have are original and argent. The hood does not appear to have holes for the emblems. The original trunk lid is gone so I don't know if it had an emblem. No wheel lip moldings. I'll have to take a look at the front fenders lips but the driver's side is original and the passenger side is purple. There are no holes for a V8 emblem though.

Troy

Re: A66 - 04/07/10 11:50 AM

Finally received my registry report from Galen Govier, only took 9 months. I just got the basic service and according to G.G. it is #42 of 121 in VIN sequence of all `70 340 1-4BBL Challengers accounted for at the Hamtramck, MI plant and built to spec's for the USA.

Re: A66 - 04/07/10 03:59 PM

Interesting, I know of 189 from Hamtramck so far total.

(12 for Canada & one Export car included)
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: A66 - 04/08/10 02:22 AM

Quote:

He had a one of one and cloned it.

How do we know it was the only one made?

Re: A66 - 04/08/10 05:13 AM

I am going to look at a A66 340 Auto car later today. B5 Blue. It has been repainted once. I will list all the data tonight.

Re: A66 - 04/13/10 10:39 PM

Quote:

I am going to look at a A66 340 Auto car later today. B5 Blue. It has been repainted once. I will list all the data tonight.

Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: A66 - 04/13/10 11:34 PM

340 Decal
Build date 9 28

Attached picture 5923869-DSCN4269.JPG
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: A66 - 04/14/10 12:42 AM

I'm trying to post

Attached picture 5924045-DSCN4271b.jpg

Re: A66 - 04/17/10 05:21 AM

Quote:

I'm trying to post

Thanks for that pic Dave.

I'd never seen the emblem before.

Re: A66 - 04/17/10 04:13 PM

I would still love to see a part number for one. Anybody have a NOS one laying around?
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: A66 - 04/17/10 05:42 PM

Wow lots of good information in this thread.
Since we're on the subject of A66 Challengers I thought I'd ask if anybody knows where this A66 Challenger is?
I believe it was originally B5. 340, auto. The T/A antenna should help identify it. Sold in the L.A. area around 2000. It used to belong to friend of mine, James Richard Wilson, who lost his battle with cancer and I couldn't afford it at the time it was for sale. Any help would be appreciated. It was last seen for sale at Spring Fling...

Attached picture 5930994-JamesChallenger.jpg

Re: A66 - 05/03/10 12:57 AM

Quote:

I think you are missing one of the larger sources of wheel lip moldings on non-wheel lip molding cars, the dealer!!! One of my old T/As had moldings on it. When I spoke to the original owner he told me the dealer offered and he accepted the installation of WLMs along with the carpets on the bottoms of the door panels before he took delivery of the car. I'm sure this happened a lot in order to make a sale or make more money for the dealer.
Jeff

I thought most T/A-AAR's were not special ordered. So did the dealers get what ever Chrysler sent them? Or did the dealer get to order for their inventory?

I'd think by the time most T/A-AAR's hit the dealers, they weren't making them anymore. You got what you got or had the dealer install stuff.

Re: A66 - 05/03/10 01:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff

I thought most T/A-AAR's were not special ordered. So did the dealers get what ever Chrysler sent them? Or did the dealer get to order for their inventory?

I'd think by the time most T/A-AAR's hit the dealers, they weren't making them anymore. You got what you got or had the dealer install stuff.

They were sales bank cars, which means they were built and sat in the holding area of the assembly plant until ordered by a dealer. Dealers would receive computer print out sheets that showed the cars and how they were equipped and could order the available car of their choice.

Re: A66 - 05/03/10 01:14 AM

Quote:

Several AARs & T/As were ordered by dealerships.

Mr. Norm's ordered well over 100 T/As, I have seen the order blanks for them. I did not see one sales bank car in the bunch.

The term "special order" is for things like 999 paint. Cars ordered at a dealership for the most part were not "special" unless something out of the ordinary was specified.

Re: A66 - 05/03/10 01:49 AM

Quote:

Several AARs & T/As were ordered by dealerships.

Mr. Norm's ordered well over 100 T/As, I have seen the order blanks for them. I did not see one sales bank car in the bunch.

Not saying there were no special orders by individual dealers, just that it is a well know fact that the factory built enough to be legal for the racing purpose of the cars. Mr. Norm being the largest volume hipo Dodge dealer in the world at that time, would have known of these cars first in the dealer pipeline and it is not surprising that he would have order those and likely got some of the first ones shipped.

What were the shipping dates of the cars as opposed to the SPD of the sales bank cars?

Other dealers could have special ordered these cars, however if there were many left in sales bank the sales reps DISCOURAGED it and if there was something close to what the customer/dealer wanted to order they would cut a deal to move the sales bank car if necessary. The big advantage was that the time to special order a car was 4 weeks vs a few days shipping time of the sales bank car. In fact, there MAY have been a cut off date for production on these cars and if you didn't have an order in early there may have been no choice but to take a sales bank car.
Posted By: 70 WM21 W1 V6B

Re: A66 - 07/02/10 06:59 PM

Thought I would share this one with you, it belongs to a friend of mine who has a few Mopars that have been setting since the early 80's and now beginning to dig them out.

It is a 70 Challenger 340 A66 car
the fender tag reads as follows:
Line 1 26 End1
Line 2 N41 N42 R11 V9X Y05
Line 3 G31 G33 H51 J54 M21 M31
Line 4 V1X A63 A66 B51 C16 C55
Line 5 TX9 H6T5 000 C11 034014
Line 6 E55 D32 JH23 H0B 218XXX

It is all original but does need & will be restored.

Anyone have any idea at how many Black Over Black with Saddle interior were built?

Re: A66 - 07/02/10 08:33 PM

More unique than the black -n- tan color combo is the fact that it is black with a black bumblebee stripe.

Got pics? Is it an original paint car?

Re: A66 - 07/02/10 09:32 PM

I would LOVE to see close up photos of the stripe / mask lines. So far for the known cars with the same color stripes they have all been repainted.

Pretty please?

Re: A66 - 07/02/10 10:45 PM

I would love to see pics of that car!
Posted By: 70 WM21 W1 V6B

Re: A66 - 07/03/10 04:13 AM

I'll see what I can do on the pictures of it this upcoming week, as I said we are digging them out he also has 2 70 Gran Coupes 1 383 4bbl auto Red, Red interior & Red Rubber front bumper, the other is primered and a 6 banger, and a 70 R/T SE 440 4bbl Tan metallic, White vinyl Tan leather buckets, PW air & Luggage rack, I had sold him that car back in 82. I will see if I can get to the fender tag on all 3 & pictures. These have been setting since the mid 80's in storage

Re: A66 - 07/03/10 04:20 AM

Awesome, thank you.

Just in case he wants to register them;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/register.shtml

Re: A66 - 07/08/10 02:37 AM

Quote:

I would LOVE to see close up photos of the stripe / mask lines. So far for the known cars with the same color stripes they have all been repainted.

Pretty please?

I just saw this and agree with Barry completely. Those other cars sound like really great cars, but PLEASE, if the car is original paint, do anything you can to get pics of that black painted stripe on a black painted car. It's a rare thing, and would really benefit the hobby to document an original paint car with that combo. As Barry mentioned, the other known cars with a same color stripe have been repainted. Their owners would like to know what is the correct way to paint the stripe on the car.

The stripe was painted first and then masked off before the rest of the car was painted. What we need to confirm is if the black stripe color was slightly different than the black body color, and/or if that masking process was still followed when the stripe was the same color as the rest of the car. Are there any masking lines that show where the stripe was taped off?

Tav

Re: A66 - 08/03/10 05:57 PM

Any update on pics of the black on black car?

Re: A66 - 08/03/10 06:46 PM

FY1 yellow, tan interior?, 4sp, black bumble bee stripe?, A66...

Attached picture 6120553-Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildMed75.JPG

Re: A66 - 08/03/10 07:20 PM

I see D13 3 speed manual

Re: A66 - 08/03/10 08:04 PM

Quote:

I see D13 3 speed manual

Mine has one too.

Attached picture 6120656-DSC02857.jpg
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: A66 - 08/03/10 09:45 PM

Quote:

I don't think that car is unusual - do you?

Re: A66 - 08/04/10 12:54 AM

Quote:

black bumble bee stripe?, A66...

Hard to read, but it looks like V5X - side moldings in black to me?

Re: A66 - 08/04/10 12:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

black bumble bee stripe?, A66...

Hard to read, but it looks like V5X - side moldings in black to me?

I see it that way too, not that I can see worth a damn.

Re: A66 - 08/04/10 08:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that car is unusual - do you?

I agree not super rare.

But I don't see a lot of yellow with tan interior as I do as yellow with black or white. I just think it's a neat color combo of yellow/tan/black mld or butt stripe. And 70 3spd E-body's are pretty uncommon.

Let me see if I can find a better picture what show the Vxx code better.

The interesting thing is what this car is doing today.
Posted By: The Cuda Guy

Re: A66 - 08/04/10 11:01 AM

So are there any more examples of factory black grills on A66 cars are is it just the two mentioned in this thread?

Don

Re: A66 - 09/24/10 11:17 AM

No for sale ads in the discussion forums!
Posted By: planephun

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 09/26/10 04:22 AM

If folks are still looking for pix of the hood decal I can post some in a couple of days. I am original owner of '70 340, 4sp, built Oct '69. Now in rebuild, but has engine call-out decals. I need to find replacements. JH23H0B

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 09/26/10 05:00 AM

Yes, please post some pictures of car when new if you have some and 340 hood decal. Also did it have the V-8 emblems on the fenders ? What options ? What plant was it made at.

Thanks,

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 09/26/10 09:19 PM

Quote:

Yes, please post some pictures of car when new if you have some and 340 hood decal. Also did it have the V-8 emblems on the fenders ? What options ? What plant was it made at.

Thanks,

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 09/30/10 07:27 PM

We're still waiting for pictures of the car and how about some fender tag info, options, build date. Thanks

Quote:

If folks are still looking for pix of the hood decal I can post some in a couple of days. I am original owner of '70 340, 4sp, built Oct '69. Now in rebuild, but has engine call-out decals. I need to find replacements. JH23H0B

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 09/30/10 10:07 PM

Early October '69 - Hamtramck, MI assembled A66 convertible with hood DECALS!

This "90%" original paint A66 auto convertible was at the '10 NAT'S. (poor angle but no "V8")
JH27H0B137xxx w/928 SPD & a 10-1969 door sticker & 3402059 E60 X 15 tire sticker.

Attached picture 6225128-A66-340decals-conv.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 09/30/10 11:45 PM

Nice car ! I need to get some more pictures of that car. Looks like a pretty close SPD to my A66, since mine is JH23HOB1372xx and SPD 928 with a 10-69 door sticker and same #59 tire sticky.

Attached picture 6225250-tirepres..jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/01/10 12:21 AM

Who has a known A66 '70 Challenger equipped with the 15" wheels/tires?

Is there a spacer between the lower control arm & bumper? Maybe, tire rub was the reason the E60x15s came & went?

Maybe 340 cars didn't need them, unlike the "heavy-nosed" big blocks? Do T/As have them?

B18 LA car - I thought 15" wheels would be appropriate for this car, but it is after E60x15s were no longer STANDARD?

Attached picture 6225307-DSC07703s.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/01/10 12:29 AM

T/A bumper;

Attached picture 6225319-Undercar54.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/01/10 12:35 AM

Quote:

Is there a spacer between the lower control arm & bumper?

Mine was an original E60-15 car, but I honestly don't remember if it had the bumper plates or not,,,,, I don't 'think' it did . LA plant Dec 69 SBD

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/01/10 12:53 AM

Here is a picture of mine (15"), I also have another complete front end off a Oct. built A66 4spd manual steering car, don't know what tire size it had. But both suspensions are the same as pic.

Attached picture 6225361-IMG_3511.JPG
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 11/12/10 07:38 AM

Great thread guys,

This one claims to be an Original A66 Chally, thought i'd post the linky, lots of pics on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Cha...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Not an SE, but note the dark argent tail panel, is that Correct?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 11/12/10 06:59 PM

Yes, because it has the molding group (A63).

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 11/12/10 10:41 PM

Way cool! Thanks for posting the link. October 69, LA plant manufacture; no V8 emblems, that I can see. Does have 15" wheels, an argent grill (at least it looks argent to me), without the wood grain inserts on the door panels. I saved all the pictures for when I redo mine!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/22/11 03:26 AM

Sublime, Saw your post on the hemi fender ?. When I looked at the pictures today (with open eyes) I could see the fender and wheel well trim look very close to mine.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 01:41 AM

Quote:

Sublime, Saw your post on the hemi fender ?. When I looked at the pictures today (with open eyes) I could see the fender and wheel well trim look very close to mine.

You are right, they look identical. Mine never had the trim. If I remember correctly the trim was deleted since they had to mod the fenders for the 15" wheels. Any indication if your fender trim was factory installed?

I don't have a broadcast sheet for mine, so I have to assume that with the early SPD, and the bent up fender lips, that odds are mine had the 15" wheels. These A66 cars are really interesting, lots of variation over time from the factory.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 02:01 PM

Quote:

If I remember correctly the trim was deleted since they had to mod the fenders for the 15" wheels.

Fenders were Not modified at the factory for 15" wheels. Lots of Challenger R/T's came with 15" wheels & wheel lip molding. Also, lots of people have traded out their 14" wheels for 15's, and no fender modifications are necesary.

Fender modifications are due to a tire size that was only available on a Hemi car from the factory. IF a car owner puts huge tires on the front of their car, they may need to modify the fender lip a little, but that would be owner modified, not factory modified. When I first got my own challenger, it had huge tires on aluminum 14" wheels and they Did hit the fender lip.

Quote:

I don't have a broadcast sheet for mine, so I have to assume that with the early SPD, and the bent up fender lips, that odds are mine had the 15" wheels.

Please compare your fenders to any other non-Hemi Challenger fender. You'll find that your fenders are not modified. SPD has nothing to do with wheel size. 14" & 15" wheels were available all year. The majority of Challengers came with 14" wheels.
(EDIT: I take back my comment about SPD vs. wheel size. My statements were true regarding Challengers as a whole, but when looking at a specific option package like the A66 cars, there can be some correlation between the two. Further explanation below in Dan's posts.)

Quote:

These A66 cars are really interesting, lots of variation over time from the factory.

Here, I Agree, and would love to hear more about your specific car. A Sublime A66 is a pretty cool car. I'm particularly fond of the Sublime color. What other options does it have? any stripes?

Tav

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 07:16 PM

The A66 Challengers were a late addition to the 1970 model year Dodge line-up.
*** I believe the E60-15 was also late to the 1970 party. (not as late as the A66 though) ***

Early A66 cars had E60-15 Goodyear Polyglas GT tires that were included in the "package" price, but "rallye wheels" were a required OPTION at additional cost. Wheel lip mouldings were "DELETED" as part of the A66 "package". At some point the included (A66 "package") tire was changed to F70-14.

IIRC - the need for "HEMI FENDER"s was due to F60-15 tires rubbing under heavy-braking on nose-heavy HEMI'Cudas & Challenger R/Ts.

IIRC(2) - AAR & T/A "TRANS AM" cars were to have G60-15s on all four corners & would've needed modified fenders to clear the front tires. The G60s got the axe before production & we've been scratching our heads since.

So ...... late in testing (July '69) /early in production (August '69) fender rub problems are showing up on the F60-15 tired HEMI e-bodies. The brass is pissed - Chrysler has to spend money & sub-contract Creative Industries to modify fenders. HEMI Challenger R/Ts are loosing their wheel lip mouldings in the process. About the same time, Dodge product planners discover Plymouth is offering their muscle e-body 'Cuda with the 340 engine. The new for '70 E60-15 Polyglas GT is on both the Dodge & Plymouth e-body OPTION list, but quantities are low & aren't available for early production. Dodge tries to one-up Plymouth & includes the E60-15 Polyglas GTs in the A66 - "340 package" Challenger, but they are aware of the wide 60 series tire "rub" issue & the A66 cars loose their wheel lip mouldings.

Are factory workers (or others) modifying A66 fenders in a manner similar to Creative, but just rolling the area in front of the lip brace? Was this just a LA "thing" since creative was 2500 miles away? Did the "brass" catch wind of this "procedure" & influence the change to F70-14 tires?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 08:00 PM

Thanks Dan, that helps to clear things up a bit.

So SPD can help determine wheel size on A66 cars, but we don't yet know the date they changed from 15" to 14". I think the presence of the spacer between the lower control arm and the rubber bumper can also be used as a good indicator whether a car had 15" or 14" wheels.

Tav

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 08:07 PM

SPD can help determine available wheel size on A66 cars. (early E60-15 & late F70-14 or E60-15)

I don't believe early E60-15 tired e-bodies had the lower control arm rubber bumper spacer.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 08:34 PM

Quote:

I don't believe early E60-15 tired e-bodies had the lower control arm rubber bumper spacer.

That IS interesting. I wonder why not. Was it on the later E60-15 e-bodies? I didn't think the spacer was introduced mid-year. What tires DID use the spacer? I haven't seen it on any 14" wheeled cars.

Tav

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 09:01 PM

Quote:

This "90%" original paint A66 auto convertible was at the '10 NAT'S. (poor angle but no "V8")
JH27H0B137xxx w/928 SPD & a 10-1969 door sticker & 3402059 E60 X 15 tire sticker.

Dan did you get a chance to see the build sheet for this car or ask the owner about the wheel well trim it has ?

Sublime, if you have the original tranny for your car check the speedo gear in trans, and count the teeth, might help you determine tire size.

Attached picture 6492341-DSC07331.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 09:04 PM

Quote:

Sublime, if you have the original tranny for your car check the speedo gear in trans, and count the teeth, might help you determine tire size.

That's another good suggestion.

Tav

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

Are factory workers (or others) modifying A66 fenders in a manner similar to Creative, but just rolling the area in front of the lip brace? Was this just a LA "thing" since creative was 2500 miles away? Did the "brass" catch wind of this "procedure" & influence the change to F70-14 tires?

I don't think any of these things happened. Here's what I think happened... Sublime70 notices that his fender lip has a small rolled section (about 3.5 inches long directly in front of the indent where the lip brace attaches), and having heard about "Hemi Fenders" with rolled lips, he wonders if that is what he has. He takes a picture and posts it on moparts trying to find out if he has hemi fenders.

Multiple comments are made about hemi fenders. A couple hemi fender pictures are posted, but due to some after the fact wheel well molding, you can't see the extent of the rolling on the hemi fender, which makes it a poor example for him. Someone says that they have an A66 with fenders just like his. As a result, he starts to think his fenders have been modified by the factory.

Actually though, his fenders are not modified. They are just like other non-Hemi Challenger fenders. The LA plant workers didn't modify them. All the Challenger fenders are rolled like that, Hamtramck and LA both.

I was in a similar situation once with my own Challenger. I noticed that my fender lips had both been rolled up there and that each side matched. I wanted to know if I had something special, or if I should bend them back down flat like my 'Cuda. I went to a mopar junk yard a few hours away and investigated the fender collection for a while. I must have looked at at least 20 challenger fenders from all years 70-74, (even found 1 T/A fender, which I thought was pretty cool), and all were rolled exactly the same. The Challenger fenders are just made that way. Challenger wheel lip molding has a notch to match the rolled area, again it comes that way. Anyone with a regular Challenger fender can compare their own fender to his photo and see that they are the same.

The Hemi Fenders are rolled much more extensivly. I think that a good picture of the rolled lip on a hemi fender (without lip molding) would help remedy the situation. I have some, but they are bitmaps, so moparts wouldn't let me post them earlier. Unfortunately I don't have access to photoshop to convert them to jpeg at the moment.

Here is his fender photo from the other thread. If I recall correctly, it's a Nov 6 1969 SPD LA plant car. The black repaint over the original sublime gives the photo nice contrast, so you can really see the area he's talking about.

Tav

Attached picture 6492408-HemiorWhat.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 09:47 PM

For comparison, here is another regular Challenger fender. This is an Aug 26 1969 SPD Hamtramck plant 318 car. No broadcast, but everything I've found indicates it had 14" wheels.

Tav

Attached picture 6492421-fenderlip.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/23/11 09:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That IS interesting. I wonder why not. Was it on the later E60-15 e-bodies? I didn't think the spacer was introduced mid-year. What tires DID use the spacer? I haven't seen it on any 14" wheeled cars.

Tav

Here is the my 15" tire A66 SPD 9-28-69 lower control arm rubber shot. I also have a complete A66 Oct. built frontend, both are same as picture. Both are drum brake, .880 swaybar and .920 torsion bars

Attached picture 6492427-IMG_4354.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/24/11 12:27 AM

Quote:

So SPD can help determine wheel size on A66 cars, but we don't yet know the date they changed from 15" to 14". I think the presence of the spacer between the lower control arm and the rubber bumper can also be used as a good indicator whether a car had 15" or 14" wheels.

10/20/69:
Effective immediately, F70x14-inch RWL tires (T87) are standard with the 340 Performance Package. The E60x15-inch tires (U82) will be optional at extra cost. The Collapsible Spare (W34) and Rallye Wheels will no longer be required with the 340 Package. Effective immediately, Performance Axle Packages A31 and A36 are available with the 340 Package.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/24/11 02:33 PM

My build sheet.

Attached File
6493621-scan0003.pdf  (206 downloads)

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/24/11 02:34 PM

Thanks Ken!

Tav

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/24/11 02:42 PM

When did they begin production of the A66 cars? I am suprised that the 340 wasn't offered from the begining of the model year.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/24/11 06:13 PM

My A66 Challanger has a black grille. Don't know if it original or not for sure.
How many A66 owners cars are a JS23H0E (L.A. Cali) built cars? Mine is. Everyone I every see listed for sale or look at some where is always a JS23H0B (Hamtramck) built car.

Attached picture 6493942-DSCN0542.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/24/11 06:57 PM

6PKRTSE, is it a early or late build, do you have a build sheet you could show us ? thanks

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/24/11 08:58 PM

You know? I never have even looked on this car??? I will have to look to be sure. Never had the back seat out. I doubt I have the B.S. for it though after all of these years. The car has been apart, repainted etc.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/25/11 03:06 AM

Quote:

How many A66 owners cars are a JS23H0E (L.A. Cali) built cars? Mine is. Everyone I every see listed for sale or look at some where is always a JS23H0B (Hamtramck) built car.

I am sure you meant JH23H0?

I checked both registries, current counts are 208 known from Hamtramck so far & 67 are known from LA so far.

Two things to keep in mind, Hamtramck was a much larger plant than LA & LA did not produce E-bodies for the entire 1970 model year.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/25/11 12:29 PM

Quote:

When did they begin production of the A66 cars? I am suprised that the 340 wasn't offered from the begining of the model year.

????

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/25/11 01:56 PM

Quote:

LA did not produce E-bodies for the entire 1970 model year.

Approx how long did LA make E bodies?

Tav

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/25/11 06:52 PM

Ooops yes, I meant JH. I must have been combining my Challenger & Charger VIN's for some reason.

Quote:

Quote:

I am sure you meant JH23H0?

I checked both registries, current counts are 208 known from Hamtramck so far & 67 are known from LA so far.

Two things to keep in mind, Hamtramck was a much larger plant than LA & LA did not produce E-bodies for the entire 1970 model year.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/25/11 10:55 PM

Cool! Now I know all Challenger fenders are this way. I am sure the trim delete, happened exactly like that; managers decreed no wheel trim on these darn 15" tired cars anymore.

As for the car, yup original sublime car, white vinyl top, white/black interior, 727 console shift, air conditioning, stripe delete unfortunately. 56k original miles, Cali. Car. Been in storage since 86.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/25/11 11:31 PM

Sounds like a real nice find! Welcome to Moparts, I think you'll enjoy it here. Looking forward to seeing you around.

Tav

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/26/11 12:22 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a real nice find! Welcome to Moparts, I think you'll enjoy it here. Looking forward to seeing you around.

Tav

Thank you for the welcome. You guys have been a great source of information.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 02/26/11 05:40 PM

Quote:

The Hemi Fenders are rolled much more extensivly. I think that a good picture of the rolled lip on a hemi fender (without lip molding) would help remedy the situation. I have some, but they are bitmaps, so moparts wouldn't let me post them earlier. Unfortunately I don't have access to photoshop to convert them to jpeg at the moment.

OK, I've converted the bitmaps to jpegs and can post them now. I'm putting them on the Hemi Fender thread where it's more appropriate. If anyone's interested, here's a link to that thread... https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Tav

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 03/06/11 12:49 AM

What happen did this forum die, lets feed it

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 04/08/11 07:15 AM

Survivor (just a guess) car on ebay currently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...0&viewitem=

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 04/08/11 04:33 PM

thats almost exactly how mine looked when i bought it! 90% orig paint..and untouched..bought mine from orig owners family in 87 dan

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 04/08/11 06:16 PM

Quote:

Survivor (just a guess) car on ebay currently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...0&viewitem=

First two things I notice are black grille and wheel well trim . Neat car with build sheet and fender tag. Would like a better look at build sheet to see if the wwt are on it. Very late build date also.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/01/11 09:31 PM

Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/02/11 02:34 AM

I'm still confused.

Did ALL A66s had the R/T J54 hood, but only some were on the tag?

Or did some A66s actually have flat hoods on them per the missing J54 on the tag?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/02/11 02:52 AM

no one knows for sure on the hood yet... my car is a JH23HOE.. no sheet dan

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/02/11 04:56 AM

Quote:

I'm still confused.

Did ALL A66s had the R/T J54 hood, but only some were on the tag?

Or did some A66s actually have flat hoods on them per the missing J54 on the tag?

My 9-28-69 SPD A66 has a flat hood with (J45) hood pins and I like it. So I would say they did come with flat hoods. As talked about early on in this thread the early (first 2-3 months) cars that came with R/T hood did not have the J54 on the fender tag or maybe their flat hoods have been changed.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/04/11 03:39 PM

NOS "340 Four Barrel" hood decals on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1970-Dodge-C...=item4ab187d88c

No connection to the seller, no idea if they're real (but they look real to me)

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/04/11 04:06 PM

Cool!

Hard to see, but it looks like the part numbers are 34332LS & 34332RS.

Edit - Seller has 3443255 in the text, doh!

Great to have a number!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/05/11 05:20 AM

somebody snagged em... guy killed the auction!....i,m sure he had no idea how high they would have gone!..i,ve got a few deals like that from ebay! hahahahaha..dan

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/06/11 12:44 AM

hope you use them as patterns for repro,s dan

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/06/11 07:12 PM

SO? which one of you guys here got them? speak up now..

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/07/11 03:09 PM

I got them! Not sure if they're useable or not but I've already started looking into getting them reproduced. I'll keep you posted.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/07/11 03:16 PM

Awesome. Might I recommend Dave at ECS? He'd do them right I'm sure.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/07/11 09:21 PM

somebody needs to.. I LOVE SNAGGING SIDE DEALS ON EBAY!... i,ve made some OUTSTANDING buys that way! dan
Posted By: RagtopChallenger

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 12/08/11 11:32 AM

Count me in on a set when available!

Rusty

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 02/14/12 02:27 PM

First set of decals should be ready in a week or so. I'll post up when I get them.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 02/14/12 11:04 PM

Patiently waiting........

Rusty
Posted By: kfd

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 02/17/12 09:43 PM

I realize this is an A66 Thread, but something that really made me say "HOLY COW!" was this picture.

I thought since the dawn of time "Rock" was in St. Louis, not in Hamtramck, and I thought he consistently signed the driver's side inner wheel well. Shows what I know!

This has been a really educational thread, and I thought I knew my stuff on these things!

I can't wait to see how the 340 Decals turn out...

KFD
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 02/18/12 12:42 AM

this last post should be moved as the a66 thread is one of the best threads i have ever seen on moparts and i have nothing against you or "rock" who was definitely at hamtramck.
all the best
frank.

Attached picture 7076656-rock-right.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 02/18/12 12:45 AM

yes -just adding fuel but i`ll delete these posts later. this is a dual signed two rock car.

Attached picture 7076661-rock-left.jpg
Posted By: kfd

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 02/18/12 06:27 AM

If there are two signatures on the car, it makes me wonder if "Rock" wasn't just some guy crayoning his name on a car, but a QUALITY CONTROL INSPECTOR. Quite possibly that A66 (or whatever car that was with TWO signatures) was a car that didn't pass a QC inspection somewhere after Rock looked at it first, and possibly, he needed to reinspect a little father down the line...

Later
KFD

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 03/18/12 12:40 PM

Anybody see the A66 vert on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=View...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 03/18/12 01:05 PM

I have the first few sets of hood decals available. The creation of the computer file included a run of 5 sets and I used 1 for pics so first come first serve and I will order more when I know what the demand will be.
http://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=23293#post23293

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 03/18/12 02:29 PM

I sent you a PM.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 03/18/12 06:19 PM

Quote:

Anybody see the A66 vert on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=View...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

That would be a great car restored, Plum Crazy, white top, black leather interior!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 03/27/12 09:37 AM

I bought 2 sets and they are AWESOME! I'm glad I waited all these years and never drilled holes in my hood! Thanks Matt!

Rusty

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 03/27/12 11:10 AM

Hey Rusty, thanks! I'm glad they met with your approval. post a pic when you get them installed.
Posted By: superbeeman69

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/08/12 05:08 AM

I'm gonna revive this a bit here. Just picked up a super rusty, original paint FM3 challenger A66. Late build date, April 9 1970. Argent silver grille, 340 emblems on hood and wheel lip moldings. Again, could have been dealer installed but they've been there the entirety of the cars life. They are as rotten as the rest of the car.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/08/12 05:14 AM

LA car?

If there is a broadcast sheet, does it show the wheel lip moldings?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/08/12 05:35 AM

No broadcast sheet, LA car. Can't confirm they were installed at the factory but they've been on for as long as the car has been rusting. The moldings are starting to disappear lol

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/08/12 06:26 PM

Lets see some pictures, 4spd or auto ?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/09/12 03:48 AM

It's an console auto but will be a 4spd when finished. That and a raylle dash will be the only strays from the fender tag. The car is super rusty and will need ALOT of metal so I'm taking these liberties. I'm thrilled to not only have a 70 challenger but a real FM3 car! I will post pics upon its arrival home

Fender tag as follows for the number crunchers like myself..

V21 V98 26 END
J54 M21 N41 N42 R11 V1X
V1X A66 C16 C55 G36 J45
FM3 H6X9 000 409 XXXXXX
E55 D32 JH23 H0E XXXXXX
Posted By: 340challconvert

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/28/13 03:06 PM

Sorry to respond to an old post.
As I was going through the pics of the A66 body tags posted, I noticed that the FE5 red 340 car was built the same day as mine A06 October 6, 1969. (70 Challenger A66 convert-yellow automatic) Interesting point regarding the sequence numbers for two cars built the same day
Mine lists as 152571 and the FE5 car lists 152499 (hard to read last two numbers) Either way the red car was just a tad earlier then mine by the sequence number for the same date. The EK2 car was built just a little later A13 (October 13, 1969) with a sequence number of 157850. Everyone seems to examine this type of data. Very interesting to examine and assess. Specific to my car with all of the postings, mine still has the 340 decals on the power hood, argent grill, no wheel moldings, with the black bumble bee stripe. 15 x 7 rally wheels with the E-60-15 sticker still in the door jam. Also has the front and rear sway bars.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/28/13 03:21 PM

The dates on the fender tags are the Scheduled Production Dates. It is the date they hope to build the car when the order was first entered in the system. Hamtramck occasionally made cars one after the other with a VIN spread of close to 35,000. So, cars with close VINs may have been made weeks apart at times.
Posted By: mopar_leaner

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/28/13 03:54 PM

just my 2cents, I bought an FC7 a66 coded 70 challenger way back in 1985 from the 1st owner, mine had the argent grill, ralley hood, exhaust, black butt stripe, ps, pdb, console slap stick, metal 340 four barrel on the hood, front and rear sway bars and black v-top/interior.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/28/13 05:05 PM

Cool thread to revive.
For the early cars did they have the V8 emblems on the fenders?
Do you know what heads the engines had originally? If you know what are the date codes?
70 was a transition year to 915 castings so I am curious.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/28/13 06:13 PM

My A66 SPD 9/28/69 has X (2531894 D) heads cast 8-11-69 & 8-22-69 the # block is cast 7/8/69. The V-8 emblems have been on the flat hood cars and the early sport hood cars I have seen and seemed to come and go on the later after 11/69 sport hood equipped cars with 340 emblem.

Attached picture 7793238-hood.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 07/28/13 10:45 PM

Cool! I have seen J and U heads dated mid Nov 69, but personally have not seen anything earlier than that. My Nov. 69 car has the V8 emblems with sport hood.
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 08/18/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

Just curious, what leads you to believe that your A66 car came with a flat hood?

Doesn't J54 have to be on the fender tag???

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 08/18/13 11:51 PM

Nope.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 10/12/13 09:13 PM

Barry
Thank you for the clarification of the build dates and sequence numbers.
I still owe you another thanks for a communication I had with you a few years back. You were kind enough to mail me an old registration form from the SIAC auto club on an event I attended back in 1982 showing registration of the yellow Challenger A66 convert I still own. I had emailed you inquiring about my 1971 blue 4sp 383 Dodge Challenger 4 speed that was stolen from me in 1989.(still have the legit title, tags and registration from that car) but your efforts were appreciated. I finally got around to clearing out the garage and took some pictures of the challenger convert. Even back then the car was becoming a dinosaur because of the gas shortages and everyone was getting rid of gas guzlers. My friends had named the car "Dino". Looks like everything turned out OK I added a front end picture and I will add a hood shot showing those funky 340 "decals" that were on early cars (October 1969)
Phil H in NJ

Attached picture 7885294-Dinopic14.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 10/12/13 09:16 PM

340 hood decal photo, faded but still on the car since I bought it back in 1979

Attached picture 7885296-Dinopic12.JPG
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/12/13 10:29 PM

Quote:

Hey, I share the back of the parking lot at work with that car on nice days! Bob has owned it since 1982.

Attached picture 7885364-image2.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/12/13 11:32 PM

Great car. Always loved the B5 and B7 blues.
Looking at the very early threads, there was a lot of discussion that these 340 decals were not original. They always looked like the metal emblems to me(color and shape of letters) I notice your car has the wheel moldings and the factory 15 in wheels, the same as mine. Do you have a rear sway bar or the rally dash? Just curious. I have an auto matic, where yours is a stick.
I am finally getting around to restoring this car after having it sit in a garage since 1984. I enjoyed this A66 thread with all of the discussion on these types of cars. Galen's book calls for 264 A66 converts being built. Love to know how many are left?
Phil

Attached picture 7885400-Dinopic8.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/13/13 08:22 AM

Problem with selling your rig is depending on who it went to, you're liable to watch it bounce around on the 'net for a little while before someone falls in love with it.

They ended the auction & it's not listed in their inventory. They must have sold it?
BIN of $48k & it sold @ BJ for what $58k? hmmm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-DODG...forcev4exp=true
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/13/13 04:33 PM

You just have to close your eyes when you sell them sometimes. I know one A66 Challenger that just sold though and it won't be changing owners anytime within the next few decades.

Sheldon
Posted By: JRepucci

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/14/13 05:53 AM

Quote:

Is there a spacer between the lower control arm & bumper? Maybe, tire rub was the reason the E60x15s came & went?

Maybe 340 cars didn't need them, unlike the "heavy-nosed" big blocks? Do T/As have them?

B18 LA car - I thought 15" wheels would be appropriate for this car, but it is after E60x15s were no longer STANDARD?

My C19 BS23HOE has the spacers... its E60-15 car wonder why?
Posted By: Matt M

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/17/13 01:25 AM

Very Interesting thread considering I just bought my first A66 Car

Triple Black
Original Paint
Sold new in CA

Solid great driving Car

Attached picture 7890180-70Challenger.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/17/13 07:50 PM

Quote:

Very Interesting thread considering I just bought my first A66 Car

Triple Black
Original Paint
Sold new in CA

Solid great driving Car

Some additional information on car

LA Built
Door sticker says 10/69
Came with 15 inch Wheels

Fender Tag
R11 V1X V9W 26 END
M25 M31 N41 N42 N95
C55 G31 G33 J25 J45 M21
V1X A01 A04 A63 A66 C16
TX9 H6X9 000 A03 040164
E55 D32 JH23 HOE 109679

Numbers Matching Engine
Trans was a warranty replacement (I have the dealer paper work showing the warranty work in 1971. Owner had to pay $25 deductible)

Nice chrome options.

The paint is still very nice with some low spots, door nicks have been touched up.

I have not looked for a BS yet, the previous owner never looked for it.
I doubt its there since its an LA car, but you never know.

Attached picture 7890995-70Challenger2.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/17/13 10:54 PM

Got any rear shots? Especially how the bumblebee stripe is done?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/18/13 12:52 AM

I will take some this weekend and post.
I was surprised that its painted on and not a decal.
Posted By: ratroaster

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/18/13 01:38 AM

Bumblebee stripes were all painted, not decals.........

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/18/13 04:18 AM

Striped first, then body paint is what I heard, correct?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/18/13 04:21 AM

Stripe color first, then masked & body color.

Matt, I think your stripe code is actually V9W.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/18/13 04:28 AM

Quote:

Stripe color first, then masked & body color.

Matt, I think your stripe code is actually V9W.

Your right, I fixed it

Thanks
Matt

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/18/13 09:19 AM

great looking car-yes close up pics of the stripe at the bumpers and under decklid and in the trunk jam area...is that an argent grille?
what is the tire decal part number?
all the best
frank.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/22/13 11:16 PM

Good luck with the the A66 Challenger. Looks really great in black.
Black is a relatively rare color on a Challenger.
Did the tire size sticker indicate the E 60 - 15 inch wheels for such an early car? Is it an automatic or stick and does it have the rally dash?
It also looks like it has the metal 340 call outs?
Enjoy the new toy!

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 12:18 AM

Quote:

Good luck with the the A66 Challenger. Looks really great in black.
Black is a relatively rare color on a Challenger.
Did the tire size sticker indicate the E 60 - 15 inch wheels for such an early car? Is it an automatic or stick and does it have the rally dash?
It also looks like it has the metal 340 call outs?
Enjoy the new toy!

Thanks

Tire sticker did indicate E60-15
Automatic
Standard Dash
Metal call outs

I will attach some close ups of the rear of the car/stripe per request.

Matt
The front grill is argent.

Attached picture 7896900-MVC-053F.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 12:20 AM

Attached picture 7896901-MVC-054F.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 12:21 AM

Attached picture 7896903-MVC-055F.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 12:23 AM

Attached picture 7896905-MVC-057F.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 12:24 AM

Attached picture 7896908-MVC-058F.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 12:32 AM

OK me next

X heads or J heads?

Thanks

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 01:21 AM

Previous owner of my A66 put the SE finish panel on mine too.

While it might look good it wasn't correct so I posted an ad here & it sold within a week. It was an NOS piece when installed IIRC.

If you happen to do the same, large diameter PVC pipe. Mine was sewer (clean) pipe. I had to buy a full length piece & it was like $40 but well worth it.

Really nice color combo.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 01:28 AM

Quote:

Previous owner of my A66 put the SE finish panel on mine too.

While it might look good it wasn't correct so I posted an ad here & it sold within a week. It was an NOS piece when installed IIRC.

If you happen to do the same, large diameter PVC pipe. Mine was sewer (clean) pipe. I had to buy a full length piece & it was like $40 but well worth it.

Really nice color combo.

Is the rear finish panel not correct in argent?
Was that trim package available as a option?
Maybe A63?
I will admit I am not up to speed on Challengers

This is an original paint car, but it certainly could have been switched out at some point.

Thanks
Matt

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 01:29 AM

Quote:

Problem with selling your rig is depending on who it went to, you're liable to watch it bounce around on the 'net for a little while before someone falls in love with it.

They ended the auction & it's not listed in their inventory. They must have sold it?
BIN of $48k & it sold @ BJ for what $58k? hmmm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-DODG...forcev4exp=true

car looks familiar

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 02:25 AM

Neat car, one thing that sticks out is the 340 metal emblems on hood. Seems a little early for them with your cars SPD. Would be curious if it had the original no crunch zone hood as it should for the early build date, if so maybe the emblems were added at later date.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 02:31 AM

Quote:

Neat car, one thing that sticks out is the 340 metal emblems on hood. Seems a little early for them with your cars SPD. Would be curious if it had the original no crunch zone hood as it should for the early build date, if so maybe the emblems were added at later date.

I am trying to learn all I can on these cars.
Let me know what you need to see on the hood and I will shoot a few photos and post them up.

Matt

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 02:50 AM

Quote:

Is the rear finish panel not correct in argent?
Was that trim package available as a option?
Maybe A63?
I will admit I am not up to speed on Challengers

This is an original paint car, but it certainly could have been switched out at some point.

Thanks
Matt

You have A63 on your tag then?

It's the standard panel for an SE. Only reason I sold mine was I was informed (credible source, they're wrong too) it couldn't be had with my car.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 03:03 AM

The tail panel is part of the A63 package.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 04:12 AM

Thanks Barry.

Sorry about that Matt.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 05:32 AM

Quote:

Let me know what you need to see on the hood and I will shoot a few photos and post them up.

Matt

Thanks for adding the pics, one area of interest is the way the stripe was masked/not masked in the bumper jamb area.
Is the A/C still on the car? Is there dealer paperwork for adding it to the car? IMO the rear sway bar has also been added.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 11:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt

Thanks for adding the pics, one area of interest is the way the stripe was masked/not masked in the bumper jamb area.
Is the A/C still on the car? Is there dealer paperwork for adding it to the car? IMO the rear sway bar has also been added.

My car ( the black one) does not have AC or a rear sway bar.
If you need any other shots just let me know.
I will try to help.

Matt

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

If your referring to the blue car shown above, It is an original H51 factory A/C car( my old car. ) the rear sway bar was added, as were the power windows and the 6 way seat.
It had the SE finish panel on the back of it when I bought it. I was told it was added by the original owner when the car was bought new. When I did the car I had an nos one so it went back on ( I liked the looks of it)
It came out of the San Francisco area. I still have the original ft bumper,, and it has a USAF base access sticker on it in case anyone knows of the car.

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 07:59 PM

Here are a few pics of 0E109679 from a couple of years ago when it was for sale in AZ. Still wearing mid-'70s F60-15 Polyglas GTs. Why would someone put (what appears to be) reproduction F60-15s on it, when it was clearly a E60-15 car?

Attached picture 7897833-JH23H0E109679(3).jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 08:01 PM

aftermarket A/C

Attached picture 7897837-JH23H0E109679-comp.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 08:01 PM

rear sway bar

Attached picture 7897838-JH23H0E109679-sway.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 08:05 PM

Here's another LA A66 car "scheduled" the same day 0E109637 (A63, M25, V9W also).

Attached picture 7897840-jh23h0e109637.jpg

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 08:15 PM

Matt, a couple questions about the black car.

Is there evidence of red paint on the brake drums? Are there spacers (both sides) under the lower rebound bumpers on the lower control arms? Is there an original window sticker or dealer invoice with the car?

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/23/13 11:50 PM

Quote:

OK me next

X heads or J heads?

Thanks

X Heads

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/24/13 03:27 AM

Quote:

Matt, a couple questions about the black car.

Is there evidence of red paint on the brake drums? Are there spacers (both sides) under the lower rebound bumpers on the lower control arms? Is there an original window sticker or dealer invoice with the car?

Dan

Not sure why they went with the F size tires instead of the E's
Personally I prefer the factory size tires.

I checked again, add on rear sway bar is still there, AC system has been pulled.

The drums have been painted black but I can definitely see traces of red paint.

There are spacers under the bumpers.

I do not have the window sticker or invoice.
I do have paper work from the original dealership concerning warranty work. Also have the original owners manual with the cars VIN.
CA registrations and insurance paperwork, numerous maintenance paper work items.

I have attached a photo of the engine bay. (Radiator was switched out at some point)
Anybody have a correct one they want to part with?

Previous owner freshened up the engine.
I am kind of torn here. It looks great but I might have left it with the wear.

This is my first Challenger and I really like the car.
Pretty solid and drives great.

Matt

Attached picture 7898393-MVC-059F.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 10/24/13 03:51 AM

No radiator but I have an extra carb J9 4937S for an auto, N95, Oct. '69 A66.

I don't know if this "legal" to post this here & I don't want to get in trouble? I know I got in trouble for posting a WIW for a car I was advertising for a buddy. Anyone know if this is OK?

*Not a for sale post*

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille-hood decal - 03/14/18 02:57 AM

great post i totally forgot was here!..my car [SPD B11 L.A car] had v-8 emblems on the fenders, no metal hood 340 call outs [may have had stickers but FC7 paint was almost gone car mostly primer] was hit in LF in 71 had replacement fender with notch on dr side..no w/o mouldings, red painted drums [14 inch magnum car], no trunk badge. V5X car also , no J54 on tag..these cars were definitely all over the place option wise..

Attached picture challenger tag mine.jpg
Attached picture 2003_0814_142552AA.JPG

Re: A66 Challengers what color grille - 03/14/18 05:24 PM

My car is an original A66 HOE car also. LOL. It has a black grille.

Attached picture rsz_1rsz_20160716_125311.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums