Originally Posted by TJP
For all the Toyota quality stories I have a conflicting one. In the early 80's i had a 76 Toyota pickup with a 5 spd. After working many 60+ hour weeks we had a 4 day weekend and decided to meet some family in Tahoe. About 1/3 of the way there the tranny started growling 🤬🤬🤬. At the 1/2 way point I turned around dropping to 4th as it mad a lot less noise. eventually 3rd as we were almost home.
I pulled the trans apart and two of the bearings were toast. So on Tuesday I walk into the parts dept. at the local dealer with the bearings in a shop towel. Counter guy asks What'cha got there? I opened the towel up. He asks how may do you need? Somewhat puzzled I asked you don't even need to look them up? He replies NOPE have a butt load of them in stock, common failure. NICE!!! he than asks how many miles on it? I said ~ 72K. He says wow shocked most don't go past 60-65.
I put it back together and sold it beer

ROFLMAO! I rebuilt a Toyota Hilux pickup for my Dad decades ago. The shifter was sloppier than a Mopar Inland so I pulled the adapter off the side of the trans and went to the local Toyota dealer. Put the adapter on the counter and the partsman just said "I'll be back". Comes back with part in hand. I'm standing there with the deer in the headlights look and he just says "we sell a lot of them".

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".