I know guys who own enclosed trailers and boast that they use their trailers to store a car when they aren’t using it to take a car someplace. Collector car policies I’ve reviewed always stipulate that the insured vintage car must be stored in a locked structure. If one of these guys trailers got destroyed in a fire or tornado while parked on their property with a car stored in it, what do you think the odds are they get paid for their insurance claim on the car?

I had a guy try just that. Stored in a car trailer. Storm hit overnight, tree fell on the trailer and smashed trailer and car. He ripped open the trailer, hauled it away, and moved the car into the garage, because he knew it was supposed to be kept in the garage when not in use. Then he reported a claim...except he reported the loss exactly as it happened, including the date, the time, the facts, etc. Everything other than his car having been parked in a trailer. All of which meant that, according to his report of the loss, his vehicle had to have been kept outside overnight, because how else would the tree have fallen on it? shruggy When I pointed this out, the guy began stammering and got red and flustered, had no idea how to explain his way out of it. Didn't stop him from trying, of course. His car was destroyed, a VERY nice all-steel 34 Ford street rod with a blown 428 and a 4 speed. He got $0. I did ask him if he had insurance on the trailer, because filing a claim for the trailer would've been a covered loss, but he did not. Good thing he saved himself $150 or so by not insuring the trailer. panic

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP