Moparts

Classic car insurance

Posted By: biggE

Classic car insurance - 02/18/21 02:58 PM

I called my Classic car insurance company yesterday (American Collectors Insurance in Cherry Hills NJ) to ask them a few questions pertaining to coverage. I was floored when I was told that if I were to bring one of my cars to a classic car dealership for consignment or auction to sell that they would not cover the car for any damage or theft. The rep said that they haven't had any issues with the policy. I told him that's because most customers probably don't realize they have this in their policy. He told my that I was probably correct. Crazy!
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/18/21 03:28 PM

You're turning over possession of your car to someone else, and garaging it at their facility, and giving them permission to drive it. That's why it's not covered. No one else is covered to drive your car except you, and whichever resident relative you specify on the policy. Car has to be kept in a locked garage when not in use, which is something you can't ensure is the case if someone else has your car. Classic car policies are inexpensive in part because of the restrictions/exclusions. People should take the time to read their policies. I hear people say "What am I paying this money for insurance for?" The answer is the policy, yet few people read them. If you read it and need clarification, by all means call and ask.
Posted By: racerx20

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/18/21 04:14 PM

My insurance (American Modern brokered through Heacock) covered my Shelby when it was invited to the Houston Auto Show. The car was at a huge convention center for a week, called to verify it was ok and they did not have any issue with it.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/18/21 04:21 PM

You did the right thing. thumbs

Whenever you call about something like that, get the name of the person you are talking to, and document the date/time of the call. Better yet, have them email you a confirmation of the content of your conversation.
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 12:27 AM

I had a friend consign a car to one of those guys. The car got sold and he never got paid. Tried to file with insurance that it was stolen and they said no it wasn't you gave him the car to sell and would not cover the theft. It was a $125,000.00 car. The local authourity was really no help as the car went to europe and was gone. All you can do is get a judgement adaints the company.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 12:50 AM

Didn't happen to me and I'm seeing red. That stinks.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by biggE
I called my Classic car insurance company yesterday (American Collectors Insurance in Cherry Hills NJ) to ask them a few questions pertaining to coverage. I was floored when I was told that if I were to bring one of my cars to a classic car dealership for consignment or auction to sell that they would not cover the car for any damage or theft. The rep said that they haven't had any issues with the policy. I told him that's because most customers probably don't realize they have this in their policy. He told my that I was probably correct. Crazy!

American Collector Car is great at collecting money and not much else. My first dealings with them was on a truck and the pictures I sent had a couple of parts in the bed. ACC said they wouldn't insure it because if it's used to haul anything they don't hold any liability. It just made me laugh and I went to Hagerty the next year.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 10:52 AM

I wonder how that works if you take the car to a shop for a repair and leave it there overnight? I have done this before and never thought about it. I do ask that they keep it inside as the insurance says it needs to be locked in a garage. I drive by after closing to make sure they have it inside.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 03:34 PM

So after being with American Collectors Insurance since 1998 without a claim I'll be changing, probably to Hagerty. Through my regular insurance agent to find insurance to cover a car while on consignment and being a new customer, there aren't many companies that will take that on. Progressive quoted a little over $1600 for six months at a stated value. So after staying with American Collectors Insurance for all these years makes them a very expensive option.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 06:16 PM

This is why I use Hagerty.

Like most things in life, too many people buy insurance based on premium cost. I buy insurance so I'm covered if there is a loss, not just to meet legal minimum requirements. If I have a loss, I want a company that's going to do a good job covering it and not try and stick a knife in my back. I'm a roofing contractor so I know all about that. There's good companies and bad companies when it comes to claims.

If you want to save on premium, you're better off going with a higher deductible then using a crappy company. You shouldn't be filing claims for little things anyway, it just pushes your rates up. I'll never file a claim for anything under $5,000. So why pay insurance on the first $5,000?

Whatever an agent tells you over the phone is meaningless when you go to file a claim. Totally meaningless! You need to read every word of your policy and understand it. The written terms of the policy that they provided you will prevail over any verbal communication when the poop hits the fan.
Hagerty's policy terms provide for occasional non-collector use. They specifically exclude coverage from the car when it is on a race track, but they do cover it while being transported to and from the event. I did not see any exclusion of coverage for when the car is at a dealership or auction.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 06:24 PM

If you really want to be safe when leaving your vehicle at a garage, or a dealer, or an auction, ask them to have their insurance agent send you proof of liability coverage with you named as a certificate holder. Then double check the language of any written agreements that may exclude them from liability. And remove it from the agreement.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 06:53 PM

There are a number of “gotchas” in insurance and among businesses you may entrust your car to, which you don’t think about unless you get burned. And incidents where this happens are few and far between so we don’t usually give it much thought.
I know guys who own enclosed trailers and boast that they use their trailers to store a car when they aren’t using it to take a car someplace. Collector car policies I’ve reviewed always stipulate that the insured vintage car must be stored in a locked structure. If one of these guys trailers got destroyed in a fire or tornado while parked on their property with a car stored in it, what do you think the odds are they get paid for their insurance claim on the car?
One of my car guy coworkers showed me a listing today for a vintage car he is interested in. I asked where he would keep it knowing he’s already got a big garage full of his collection. He said he was going to get a portable shelter or tent to store it on his property. I told him he better check with Hagerty, his insurer, before he does that and thinks himself covered!
One story that really scares me was one a friend told me about one of his cars he sold through a brokerage in Wisconsin. His car got sold, he got his money and transferred the title to the new owner (the broker never had the title). Great, car sold, move on with life!
Months later he gets a letter from the courts or a law firm in Wisconsin that the broker went bankrupt and he has to return the money he got from the sale of his car! I’m not a lawyer nor do I know how the law works, so I have no idea how money he got from his car sale, through a broker who never had title, could be taken back in a bankruptcy case as assets of the bankrupt business?!
He went back and forth with lawyers and found he was screwed. After months his insurance agent called him and said, I’ve never seen this before, but I have good news for you, the insurance company is going to cover you for your loss.
I’ve heard anecdotal stories of situations like this happening with cars in restoration shops which went bankrupt while the car was being worked on, the customers cars would be considered assets of the bankrupt company.
I’m sure the laws on this vary by state, but does this mean one must hire a lawyer before consigning a car to be sold or taking it to a shop for work to be done on it to make sure you can’t legally lose your car?

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 07:02 PM

I know guys who own enclosed trailers and boast that they use their trailers to store a car when they aren’t using it to take a car someplace. Collector car policies I’ve reviewed always stipulate that the insured vintage car must be stored in a locked structure. If one of these guys trailers got destroyed in a fire or tornado while parked on their property with a car stored in it, what do you think the odds are they get paid for their insurance claim on the car?

I had a guy try just that. Stored in a car trailer. Storm hit overnight, tree fell on the trailer and smashed trailer and car. He ripped open the trailer, hauled it away, and moved the car into the garage, because he knew it was supposed to be kept in the garage when not in use. Then he reported a claim...except he reported the loss exactly as it happened, including the date, the time, the facts, etc. Everything other than his car having been parked in a trailer. All of which meant that, according to his report of the loss, his vehicle had to have been kept outside overnight, because how else would the tree have fallen on it? shruggy When I pointed this out, the guy began stammering and got red and flustered, had no idea how to explain his way out of it. Didn't stop him from trying, of course. His car was destroyed, a VERY nice all-steel 34 Ford street rod with a blown 428 and a 4 speed. He got $0. I did ask him if he had insurance on the trailer, because filing a claim for the trailer would've been a covered loss, but he did not. Good thing he saved himself $150 or so by not insuring the trailer. panic

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 10:17 PM

So after checking a few ore insurance companies this is what I was told by each company representative. Heckock classic / American Modern Insurance, This company also does not cover the car for sale at an auction, dealership or consignment. Also if you have your car in your possession and list it for sale anywhere like craigslist, ebay or park it and put a for sale sign on it, you void coverage. I called Hagerty and the representative told me take a car to an auction or dealership / consignment, not covered. I was very surprised to here this from Hagerty. Grundy Insurance does cover the cars while at auction and at a dealership or consignment place and will insure for stated value. They said the best thing to do was beforehand to notify them of your intensions. They are kind of pricy but so far they are the most reasonable I've found for the situation.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 10:56 PM

So if I’m reading this correctly, if you try to sell your car on eBay or Craigslist, your insurance is void? If you are driving to a show and wreck, and they see you’ve listed for sale someplace you are SOL? What about other online sources, if you list your car here is your insurance void?
Put a for sale sign on the dash at a cruise, whoops your not covered?
I can see where if you give the car to an auction house or brokerage to sell, they might balk as it’s in someone else’s control. But it’s in your garage and you decide to sell it you are not insured?
How are you supposed to sell your car?

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/19/21 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mastershake340
So if I’m reading this correctly, if you try to sell your car on eBay or Craigslist, your insurance is void? If you are driving to a show and wreck, and they see you’ve listed for sale someplace you are SOL? What about other online sources, if you list your car here is your insurance void?
I can see where if you give the car to an auction house or brokerage to sell, they might balk as it’s in someone else’s control. But it’s in your garage and you decide to sell it you are not insured?

That's not correct, no. However, if you have collector insurance on the car, and you let a prospective buyer test drive it and they wreck it, your collector car insurance won't cover you. The prospective buyer's insurance might cover you, if they have collision coverage.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
I wonder how that works if you take the car to a shop for a repair and leave it there overnight? I have done this before and never thought about it. I do ask that they keep it inside as the insurance says it needs to be locked in a garage. I drive by after closing to make sure they have it inside.

I have owned and ran a collector car repair shop for over 20 years. I carry insurance that will cover any vehicle in my possession for repair work. In addition [b]I NEVER[/b] leave customers car outside PERIOD!
Nor would I leave my car at one that does so. twocents beer

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

That's not correct, no. However, if you have collector insurance on the car, and you let a prospective buyer test drive it and they wreck it, your collector car insurance won't cover you. The prospective buyer's insurance might cover you, if they have collision coverage.

Not for all of the companies. The Heckock / American Modern Insurance representative did tell me that specifically though. If you have a policy with them and put your car up for sale privately with a for sale sign on or in the car, run on ebay or craigslist and during that time something happens to the car they will not cover it.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 04:12 AM

With Hagerty, THERE IS NO EXCLUSION FOR WHEN YOUR CAR IS FOR SALE OR WHEN IT IS IN THE CARE OF A REPAIR FACILITY OR AUCTION! Whoever said that was misinformed. I have read my policy from cover to cover several times, and there is no such exclusion. I will attempt to copy and paste the policy here if anyone wants to read it.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
With Hagerty, THERE IS NO EXCLUSION FOR WHEN YOUR CAR IS FOR SALE OR WHEN IT IS IN THE CARE OF A REPAIR FACILITY OR AUCTION! Whoever said that was misinformed. I have read my policy from cover to cover several times, and there is no such exclusion. I will attempt to copy and paste the policy here if anyone wants to read it.

Please do. I will try to get to mine to look it up as well.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 02:13 PM

Here is the number that I called for Hagerty Insurance 877-922-9701. It is on the site after you click contact. I specifically asked the rep on the phone about auctions and dealers or consignments and she told me not covered. There's always a chance she gave me the wrong answer. There may be different coverage options such as if someone has over a certain amount of coverage as a total like 1mil or something. With my questioning it was just for one car though. I listed the number so you guys can call and get the answer yourself. I'll be interested to here the answer that you get.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 02:37 PM

Here is the number that I called for Hagerty Insurance 877-922-9701. It is on the site after you click contact. I specifically asked the rep on the phone about auctions and dealers or consignments and she told me not covered. There's always a chance she gave me the wrong answer. There may be different coverage options such as if someone has over a certain amount of coverage as a total like 1mil or something. With my questioning it was just for one car though. I listed the number so you guys can call and get the answer yourself. I'll be interested to here the answer that you get.

Hagerty has a long history of saying one thing and doing another. Inconsistent information from them is the norm.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

Not for all of the companies. The Heckock / American Modern Insurance representative did tell me that specifically though. If you have a policy with them and put your car up for sale privately with a for sale sign on or in the car, run on ebay or craigslist and during that time something happens to the car they will not cover it.

There is no exclusion of coverage simply because your car is advertised for sale. I had an American Modern policy for years, read the entire thing front to back. I think the person you spoke to may have misunderstood your question, or maybe that person has no clue. Either way, they are wrong.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 04:39 PM

I use Hagerty. Not many options up here in the frozen north.

The consignment thing makes sense not being covered because anyone could be driving your car. I wonder if companies have extra coverage for stuff like that? Usually it should be like going in for service that they should have their own insurance that covers damage while it's in their possession but then the question comes up do you trust their insurance? Usually tho commercial insurance like that has less issues then what car owners have to deal with.

Originally Posted by moparpollack

American Collector Car is great at collecting money and not much else. My first dealings with them was on a truck and the pictures I sent had a couple of parts in the bed. ACC said they wouldn't insure it because if it's used to haul anything they don't hold any liability. It just made me laugh and I went to Hagerty the next year.

I ran into that when I was trying to get collector insurance on my lil red express with the only company you could get classic insurance with up here before Hagerty came along. They said it could be driven only and couldn't use it as a truck. That's understandable since you don't know what someone is going to load up in the bed. So I asked a simple question- if I go to Best Buy and buy a home theater system or something that comes in a box is it OK to use the truck to pick it up? How about if I'm going to a car show and have some boxes of T shirts. Suddenly they wouldn't even insure me at all. I asked why and they said because there's too much of a risk. I asked if they had a list of what acceptable uses are so I know what I shouldn't do or I can decide myself if it's too stringent for my needs? Nope we just know you're a risk realcrazy... I figured at the end they saved me a lot of grief because if I ever had a claim i'd risk them finding any little thing to weasel out of it.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 04:55 PM

When I was looking for insurance on my (then-partially completed) Dart, one company asked for pics, which I sent as usual.
The rep actually asked me to explain the purpose of the blue tank and the aluminum box in the trunk work

(I explained. Then they wouldn't cover me with nitrous. I replied politely that perhaps that person shouldn't be vetting applications for modified cars if they don't recognize a nitrous bottle and a fuel cell!) rolleyes

Heacock Insurance (AMIG underwriters) had no problem with any of it. Only claims so far have been towing bills during shakedown runs, but they paid immediately.

Attached picture Dart 04-16-16 (4).JPG

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 04:57 PM

Several collector companies won't insure cars with nitrous or other power adders. Hagerty used to be one of them, but they have since changed their position.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 05:10 PM

You're right - several other companies had the same issue. That's how I ended up with Heacock smile

The only difference to them is that it costs a little more, because the car is automatically "Highly Modified" instead of just "Modified". (Even with a 150 hp or less shot).

Also, many have severe use prohibitions. I have saved emails from Heacock asking what exactly I could do with the Dart. The rep told me I could go out for dinner, drive to the auto parts store or a repair shop, and even pick up a quart of milk on the way. Just never drive it to work, and keep it in a locked garage.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/20/21 11:18 PM

OK, here is my Hagerty policy. I left off the declarations page with my personal information, but there is no exclusions or definitions on it. Just my name and address, the insurance company name, and a list of my cars and the values and the policy limits. This is for Minnesota. It probably varies by state. It contains a very clear list of exclusions. Nowhere does it exclude coverage for a vehicle for sale, at repair shops, at an auction, or driving to work. Please search it for me, in case I'm missing something.

The important thing is this: No matter what anybody, including the agent or an adjuster or me, tells you, the written terms of the policy prevail. And whatever my policy says means nothing to you. Only your written policy determines coverage and exclusions. That is why it is vital to receive, read, and understand your policy. When taking quotes, ask for a written copy of the policy that you will receive. It is usually considerably different that what you will be told verbally. Why all the mis-information from agents? I don't know. I doubt many of them read the policy from cover to cover like I have. I have been the vice chairman on the board of directors of an insurance organization for over 20 years. Only the big problem cases that would go to litigation come before the board, so I see a lot of the stuff that can go wrong. That makes me very cautious.

CLASSIC AUTOMOBILE POLICY
MINNESOTA
DECLARATIONS PAGE
Your Name and Address
Your Auto and Vehicle
Policy Period
Coverages and Amounts of Insurance
Beginning
on Page
AGREEMENT; DEFINITIONS ................................................................................ 1
PART A
LIABILITY
COVERAGE
Insuring Agreement; Supplementary Payments; Exclusions..................................
Limit of Liability ......................................................................................................
Out of State Coverage; Financial Responsibility; Other Insurance .......................
PART B
MEDICAL
PAYMENTS
COVERAGE
Insuring Agreement ................................................................................................
Auto Show Medical Reimbursement; Exclusions; Limit of Liability; Other
Insurance ...............................................................................................................
PART C
UNINSURED
MOTORISTS
COVERAGE
Insuring Agreement ................................................................................................
Exclusions; Limit of Liability ...................................................................................
Other Insurance; Arbitration ...................................................................................
PART D
COVERAGE FOR
DAMAGE TO
YOUR COVERED
AUTO
Definitions ...............................................................................................................
Insuring Agreement; Spare Parts; Exclusions; Limit of Liability .............................
Loss to a Pair, Set or Parts; Payment of Loss; No Benefit to Bailee; Other
Insurance; Appraisal; Vehicle Trailer .....................................................................
PART E DUTIES
AFTER AN
ACCIDENT OR
LOSS
............................................................................................................................... 9
PART F
GENERAL
PROVISIONS
Vehicle Insurance Requirement; Bankruptcy; Changes; Concealment or Fraud;
Legal Action Against Us .........................................................................................
Payment of Loss; Our Right to Recover Payment .................................................
Abandonment; Policy Period and Territory; Termination ........................................
Other Insurance Policies; Transfer of Your Interest in This Policy; Two or More
Auto Policies; State Law .........................................................................................
AC 00 03 09 14
Includes copyrighted material of Insurance Services Offices, Inc.
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 1 of 13
AGREEMENT
In return for payment of the premium and subject
to all the terms of this policy, we will provide the
coverages you have selected. All of this
information is shown in the Declarations which is
part of this policy. Your Classic Automobile Policy
is a legal contract between you and Essentia
Insurance Company.
DEFINITIONS
A. Throughout this policy, "you" and "your" refer
to:
1. The "named insured" shown in the
Declarations; and
2. Your spouse, if a resident of the same
household.
B. "We", "us" and "our" refer to the Company
providing insurance.
Other words and phrases are defined. They are in
quotation marks when used.
C. "Bodily injury" means bodily harm to a person
and any sickness, disease, or death, to that
person resulting therefrom.
D. "Business" includes trade, profession or
occupation.
E. "Family member" means a person related to
you by blood, marriage or adoption, including
a minor in the custody of:
1. You; or
2. Any related person;
who is a resident of your household or who is
temporarily residing elsewhere.
F. "Occupying" means in, upon, getting in, on,
out or off.
G. "Property damage" means physical injury to,
destruction of, or loss of use of, tangible
property.
H. "Vehicle trailer" means a vehicle designed to
be pulled by a:
1. Private passenger auto; or
2. Pickup, panel truck or van;
that is used only for the transportation of "your
covered auto”.
I. "Your covered auto" means:
1. Any "antique vehicle" or "classic vehicle"
shown in the Declarations.
2. Any "antique vehicle" or "classic vehicle"
on the date you became owner during the
policy period, whether as a new vehicle or
replacement of a vehicle shown in the
Declarations, provided that:
a. It is in stock condition and has not
been modified from the original
manufactured design;
b. You ask us to insure it within thirty days
after you become the owner; and
c. We insure all of your collector vehicles.
Under Part D – Coverage For Damage to
Your Covered Auto, the limit provided on
this vehicle, will be the lesser of the
following:
a. The purchase price;
b. The verifiable value; or
c. $50,000.
3. Any “trailer” pulled by your “antique
vehicle”, “classic vehicle”, or “exotic and
special interest vehicle”.
J. "Antique vehicle" means a motor vehicle 25
years or more of age that:
1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club
activities, exhibitions, parades, other
functions of public interest or for a private
collection; and
2. Is used only infrequently for other
purposes.
K. "Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of
unique or rare design and of limited production
that is an object of curiosity and:
collection; and
purposes.
L. "Regular use vehicle" means a motor vehicle
which is used for regular driving to work,
school, shopping, errands or for general
transportation and is not an "antique vehicle"
or "classic vehicle."
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 2 of 13
M. "Rental vehicle" means a rented:
1. Private passenger auto, including a motor
home;
2. Pickup or van; or
3. Truck with a registered gross vehicle
weight of 26,000 pounds or less;
if the rate for their use is determined on a
daily, weekly or monthly basis. However,
“rental vehicle” does not include any such
vehicle if:
1. The rental rate is determined based on a
period longer than one month;
2. The term of the rental agreement is longer
than one month;
3. The rental agreement has a purchase or
buyout option or otherwise functions as a
substitute for purchase of the vehicle; or
4. It is a “temporary loaned vehicle”.
N. “Temporary loaned vehicle” means a:
home;
2. Pickup or van; or
if such vehicle is loaned as a replacement for
“your covered auto” being serviced or repaired
regardless of whether the customer, who is
provided the replacement vehicle, is charged
a fee for the use of such vehicle. However,
“temporary loaned vehicle” does not include
any such vehicle if it is a “rental vehicle.”
PART A - LIABILITY COVERAGE
INSURING AGREEMENT
A. We will pay damages for “bodily injury” or
“property damage” for which any “insured”
becomes legally responsible because of an
auto accident. We will settle or defend, as we
consider appropriate, any claim or suit asking
for damages which are payable under the
terms of this policy. In addition to our limit of
liability, we will pay all defense costs we incur.
B. "Insured" as used in this Part means:
1. You or any "family member" for the
ownership, maintenance or use of "your
covered auto”.
2. Any person using "your covered auto”.
3. For "your covered auto”, any person or
organization but only with respect to legal
responsibility for acts or omissions of a
person for whom coverage is afforded
under this Part.
SUPPLEMENTARY PAYMENTS
We will pay on behalf of an "insured”:
A. Up to $250 for the cost of bail bonds required
because of an accident, including related
traffic law violations. The accident must result
in "bodily injury" or "property damage" covered
under this policy. But we are under no
obligation to furnish these bonds.
B. Premiums on appeal bonds and bonds to
release attachments in any suit we defend.
But we are under no obligation to furnish
these bonds.
C. Interest accruing after a judgment is entered
in any suit we defend. Our duty to pay interest
ends when we offer to pay that part of the
judgment which does not exceed our limit of
liability for this coverage.
D. Up to $50 a day for loss of earnings, but not
other income, because of attendance at
hearings or trials at our request.
E. Other reasonable expense(s) incurred at our
request.
F. Prejudgment interest awarded against the
“insured” on that part of the judgment we pay.
These payments will not reduce the limit of liability,
EXCLUSIONS
A. We do not provide Liability Coverage for any
“insured”:
1. Who intentionally causes "bodily injury" or
"property damage”.
2. For "property damage" to property owned
or being transported by that “insured”.
3. For "property damage" to property:
a. Rented to;
b. Used by; or
c. In the care of;
that “insured”.
This exclusion (3.) does not apply to:
a. "Property damage" to a residence or
private garage,
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 3 of 13
b. “Property damage” to a:
(1) “Rental vehicle”; or
(2) “Temporary loaned vehicle”.
4. For "bodily injury" to an employee of that
“insured” during the course of
employment. This exclusion (4.) does not
apply to "bodily injury" to a domestic
employee unless workers' compensation
benefits are required or available for that
domestic employee.
5. For that “insured’s” liability arising out of
the ownership or operation of "your
covered auto" while it is being used to
carry persons or property for a fee.
6. While employed or otherwise engaged in
the "business" of:
a. Selling;
b. Repairing;
c. Servicing;
d. Storing; or
e. Parking;
vehicles designed for use mainly on public
highways. This includes road testing and
delivery.
This exclusion 6. does not apply to:
a. The ownership, maintenance or use
of “your covered auto” by:
(1) You;
(2) Any “family member” or
(3) Any partner, agent or employee of
you or any “family member”;
b. The ownership maintenance or use of
a “temporary loaned vehicle”, or
c. “Property damage” to a “rental
vehicle”.
7. Maintaining or using "your covered auto"
while that “insured” is employed or
otherwise engaged in any "business"
(other than farming or ranching) not
described in Exclusion 6.
This Exclusion 7. does not apply to:
a. The maintenance or use of a:
(1) Private passenger auto;
(2) Pickup or van
(3) “Trailer used with a vehicle
described in (1) or (2) above; or
b. The ownership, maintenance or use
of a “temporary loaned vehicle”; or
c. Property damage to a “rental vehicle”.
8. Using "your covered auto" without a
reasonable belief that that “insured” is
entitled to do so. However, this exclusion
does not apply to a “family member” using
“your covered auto” which is owned by
you.
9. For "bodily injury" or "property damage"
for which that “insured”:
a. Is an insured under a nuclear energy
liability policy; or
b. Would be an insured under a nuclear
energy liability policy but for its
termination upon exhaustion of its
limit of liability.
A nuclear energy liability policy is a policy
issued by any of the following or their
successors:
a. Nuclear Energy Liability Insurance
Association;
b. Mutual Atomic Energy Liability
Underwriters; or
c. Nuclear Insurance Association of
Canada.
10. Arising out of the ownership,
maintenance, or use of any vehicle other
than “your covered auto”. This exclusion
does not apply to:
a. A “temporary loaned vehicle”; or
b. “Property damage” to a “rental vehicle”.
B. We do not provide Liability Coverage for “your
covered auto” while “your covered auto” is
being prepared for or is being used in any
prearranged, organized or officiated race or
speed contest, including practicing or testing
for such an event.
This exclusion does not apply to rallies held in
whole or in part on public roads.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
A. The limit of liability shown in the Declarations
for this coverage is our maximum limit of
liability for all damages resulting from any one
auto accident.
B. In addition to this limit, we will make an
additional amount available for “property
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 4 of 13
damage” to a “rental vehicle” or “temporary
loaned vehicle” for which coverage is provided
under this policy if the limit of liability shown in
the Declarations for this coverage has been
reduced to less than $35,000 by payments for:
1. “Bodily injury”; or
2. “Property damage” to property other than
a “rental vehicle” or “temporary loaned
vehicle” for which coverage is provided
under this policy.
This additional amount is equal to the
difference between $35,000 and that part of
the limit of liability available after all payments
have been made under this coverage for
“bodily injury” and “property damage” to
property other than a “rental vehicle” or
“temporary loaned vehicle” for which coverage
is provided under this policy.
This is the most we will pay regardless of the
number of:
1. “Insureds”;
2. Claims made;
3. Vehicles or premiums shown in the
Declarations; or
4. Vehicles involved in the auto accident.
We will apply the limit of liability to provide
separate limits required by law for bodily injury
and property damage liability. However, this
provision will not change our total limit of
liability.
C. No one will be entitled to receive duplicate
payments for the same elements of loss under
this coverage and;
1. Part B or Part C of this policy; or
2. Any Underinsured Motorists Coverage
provided by this policy.
OUT OF STATE COVERAGE
If an auto accident to which this policy applies
occurs in any state or province other than the one
in which "your covered auto" is principally
garaged, we will interpret your policy for that
accident as follows:
A. If the state or province has:
1. A financial responsibility or similar law
specifying limits of liability for "bodily
injury" or "property damage" higher than
the limit shown in the Declarations, your
policy will provide the higher specified
limit.
2. A compulsory insurance or similar law
requiring a nonresident to maintain
insurance whenever the nonresident uses
a vehicle in that state or province, your
policy will provide the required minimum
amounts and types of coverage in that
state or province.
B. No one will be entitled to duplicate payments
for the same elements of loss.
FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
When this policy is certified as future proof of
financial responsibility, this policy shall comply with
the law to the extent required.
OTHER INSURANCE
If there is other applicable insurance we will pay
only our share of the loss. Our share is the
proportion that our limit of liability bears to the total
of all applicable limits.
However, any insurance we provide for a vehicle
you do not own, other than:
1. a “temporary loaned vehicle”, including
“property damage” thereto or
2. ”property damage” to a “rental vehicle”;
shall be excess over any other collectible
insurance.
PART B - MEDICAL PAYMENTS
COVERAGE
INSURING AGREEMENT
A. We will pay reasonable expenses incurred for
necessary medical and funeral services
because of "bodily injury":
1. Caused by an accident involving "your
covered auto"; and
2. Sustained by an "insured".
We will pay only those expenses incurred for
services rendered within 3 years from the date
of the accident.
B. "Insured" as used in this Part means any
person while "occupying" "your covered auto".
AUTO SHOW MEDICAL REIMBURSEMENT
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 5 of 13
In addition to the limit shown in the declarations for
Medical Payments, we will pay up to $5,000 for
each person injured in any one accident subject to
a maximum occurrence limit of $10,000, for
reasonable expenses incurred for necessary
medical and funeral services because of “bodily
injury” sustained by you and/or any “family
member” caused by an accident while in
attendance at an automobile show, vehicle
auction, or similar automobile related event.
EXCLUSIONS
We do not provide Medical Payments Coverage
for any “insured” for "bodily injury":
1. Sustained while "occupying" "your covered
auto" when it is being used to carry
persons or property for a fee.
2. Sustained while "occupying" "your covered
auto" located for use as a residence or
premises.
3. Occurring during the course of
employment if workers' compensation
benefits are required or available for the
"bodily injury".
4. Sustained while "occupying," or when
struck by, any vehicle other than "your
covered auto".
5. Sustained while "occupying" "your covered
auto" without a reasonable belief that that
“insured” is entitled to do so.
6. Sustained while "occupying" "your covered
auto" when it is being used in the
"business" of an "insured".
7. Caused by or as a consequence of:
a. Discharge of a nuclear weapon (even
if accidental);
b. War (declared or undeclared);
c. Civil war
d. Insurrection; or
e. Rebellion, revolution or terrorism.
8. From or as a consequence of the
following, whether controlled or
uncontrolled or however caused:
a. Nuclear reaction;
b. Radiation; or
c. Radioactive contamination.
9. Sustained while occupying “your covered
auto” when it is being prepared for or is
being used in any prearranged, organized
or officiated race or speed contest,
including practicing or testing for such an
event.
This exclusion does not apply to rallies
held in whole or in part on public roads.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
liability for each person injured in any one
accident to which this policy applies. This is
the most we will pay regardless of the number
of:
1. "Insureds";
2. Claims made;
Declarations; or
4. Vehicles involved in the accident.
B. No one will be entitled to receive duplicate
this coverage and:
1. Part A or Part C of this policy: or
provided by this policy.
OTHER INSURANCE
If other insurance also covers a loss, we will pay
only our share. Our share is the proportion that our
limit of liability bears to the total of all applicable
limits.
PART C - UNINSURED MOTORISTS
COVERAGE
INSURING AGREEMENT
A. We will pay compensatory damages which an
"insured" is legally entitled to recover from the
owner or operator of an "uninsured motor
vehicle" because of "bodily injury":
1. Sustained by an "insured" while
"occupying" "your covered auto"; and
2. Caused by an accident.
The owner's or operator's liability for these
damages must arise out of the ownership,
maintenance or use of the "uninsured motor
vehicle".
Any judgment for damage arising out of a suit
brought without our written consent is not
binding on us.
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 6 of 13
person "occupying" "your covered auto".
C. "Uninsured motor vehicle" means a land
motor vehicle or trailer of any type:
1. To which no bodily injury liability bond or
policy applies at the time of the accident.
2. To which a bodily injury liability bond or
In this case its limit for bodily injury liability
must be less than the minimum limit for
bodily injury liability specified by the
financial responsibility law of the state in
which "your covered auto" is principally
garaged.
3. Which is a hit and run vehicle whose
operator or owner cannot be identified and
which hits:
a. You or any "family member" while
"occupying" "your covered auto"; or
b. "Your covered auto".
4. To which a bodily injury liability bond or
policy applies at the time of the accident
but the bonding or insuring company:
a. Denies coverage; or
b. Is or becomes insolvent.
However, "uninsured motor vehicle" does
not include any vehicle or equipment:
1. Owned by, or furnished or available
for the regular use of, you or any
"family member".
2. Owned or operated by a self-insurer
under any applicable motor vehicle
law, except a self-insurer which is or
becomes insolvent.
3. Owned by any governmental unit or
agency.
4. Operated on rails or crawler treads.
5. Designed mainly for use off public
roads while not on public roads.
6. While located for use as a residence
or premises.
EXCLUSIONS
A. We do not provide Uninsured Motorists
Coverage for "bodily injury" sustained:
1. By an “insured” while “occupying”, or when
struck by, any motor vehicle owned by
that “insured” which is not insured for this
coverage under this policy. This includes a
trailer of any type used with that vehicle.
2. By any “family member” while “occupying”,
or when struck by, any motor vehicle you
own which is insured for this coverage on
a primary basis under any other policy.
B. We do not provide Uninsured Motorists
Coverage for “bodily injury” sustained by any
“insured”:
1. If that “insured” or the legal representative
settles the "bodily injury" claim without our
consent.
2. While "occupying" "your covered auto"
when it is being used to carry persons or
property for a fee.
3. Using "your covered auto" without a
entitled to do so.
4. While "occupying" any vehicle other than
"your covered auto".
5. While “occupying” “your covered auto”
when it is being prepared for or is being
used in any prearranged, organized or
officiated race or speed contest, including
practicing or testing for such an event.
held in whole or in part on public roads
C. This coverage shall not apply directly or
indirectly to benefit any insurer or self-insurer
under any of the following or similar law:
1. Workers' compensation law; or
2. Disability benefits law.
D. We do not provide Uninsured Motorists
Coverage for punitive or exemplary damages.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
accident. This is the most we will pay
regardless of the number of:
1. "Insureds”;
2. Claims made;
Declarations; or
this coverage and:
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 7 of 13
1. Part A or Part B of this policy; or
provided by this policy.
C. We will not make a duplicate payment under
this coverage for any element of loss for which
payment has been made by or on behalf of
persons or organizations who may be legally
responsible.
D. We will not pay for any element of loss if a
person is entitled to receive payment for the
same element of loss under any of the
following or similar law:
1. Workers’ compensation law: or
OTHER INSURANCE
If there is other applicable insurance available
under one or more policies or provisions of
coverage:
1. Any recovery for damages under all such
policies or provisions of coverage may
equal but not exceed the highest
applicable limit for any one vehicle under
any insurance providing coverage on
either a primary or excess basis.
2. Any insurance we provide with respect to
a vehicle you do not own shall be excess
over any collectible insurance providing
coverage on a primary basis.
3. If the coverage under this policy is
provided:
a. On a primary basis, we will pay only
our share of the loss that must be
paid under insurance providing
coverage on a primary basis. Our
share is the proportion that our limit of
liability bears to the total of all
applicable limits of liability for
coverage provided on a primary basis.
b. On an excess basis, we will pay only
coverage on an excess basis. Our
coverage provided on an excess
basis.
ARBITRATION
A. If we and an "insured" do not agree:
1. Whether that “insured” is legally entitled to
recover damages; or
2. As to the amount of damages which are
recoverable by that “insured”;
from the owner or operator of an “uninsured
motor vehicle”, then the matter may be
arbitrated. However, disputes concerning
coverage under this Part may not be
arbitrated.
Both parties must agree to arbitration. If so
agreed, each party will select an arbitrator.
The two arbitrators will select a third. If they
cannot agree within 30 days, either may
request that selection be made by a judge of a
court having jurisdiction.
B. Each party will:
1. Pay the expenses it incurs; and
2. Bear the expenses of the third arbitrator
equally.
C. Unless both parties agree otherwise,
arbitration will take place in the county in
which the "named insured" lives. Local rules of
law as to procedure and evidence will apply. A
decision agreed to by two of the arbitrators will
be binding as to:
1. Whether the "insured" is legally entitled to
recover damages; and
2. The amount of damages. This applies
only if the amount does not exceed the
minimum limit for bodily injury liability
specified by the financial responsibility law
of the state in which "your covered auto" is
principally garaged. If the amount exceeds
that limit, either party may demand the
right to a trial. This demand must be made
in writing within 60 days of the arbitrators'
decision. If this demand is not made, the
amount of damages agreed to by the
arbitrators will be binding.
PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE
TO YOUR COVERED AUTO
DEFINITIONS
A. "Other than collision" includes loss to "your
covered auto" caused by missiles or falling
objects; fire; theft or larceny; explosion or
earthquake; windstorm; hail, water or flood;
malicious mischief or vandalism; riot or civil
commotion; contact with bird or animal; or
breakage of glass. If breakage of glass is
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 8 of 13
caused by a "collision", you may elect to have
it considered a loss caused by "collision".
B. "Collision" means the upset or impact of "your
covered auto" with another object.
C. "Equipment" means tools stored in "your
covered auto" and used for the emergency
maintenance of "your covered auto".
INSURING AGREEMENT
We will pay for direct and accidental loss to "your
covered auto", including its "equipment", minus
any applicable deductible shown in the
Declarations, when such loss is caused by:
1. "Other than collision" only if the
Declarations indicate that Other Than
Collision Coverage is provided for that
auto.
2. "Collision" only if the Declarations indicate
that Collision Coverage is provided for that
auto.
SPARE PARTS
We will pay up to $250 for direct and accidental
loss or damage to "spare parts" for "your covered
auto".
"Spare parts" means a replacement for an item
normally a part of "your covered auto" which is not
currently in place on "your covered auto".
This coverage does not:
1. Increase the limit of liability for "your
covered auto" as stated under Part D in
the Declarations.
2. Include parts held for sale by you or
property of others in your care, custody or
control.
EXCLUSIONS
A. We will not pay for:
1. Loss or damage caused by insects or
vermin; inherent defect; dampness,
mildew, mold, rot or rust; temperature
extremes; mechanical or electrical
breakdown or failure; wear and tear;
gradual deterioration; or loss of use.
2. Loss or damage caused by any repairing,
renovating or refinishing process unless
the process results in a fire or explosion.
We will pay only for damage caused by
the fire or explosion.
3. Road damage to tires unless caused by
"other than collision" covered by this
policy.
4. Loss due to or as a consequence of war
(declared or undeclared), civil war,
insurrection, rebellion, revolution,
terrorism, government confiscation or
repossession.
5. Loss due to nuclear reaction, nuclear
radiation or radioactive contamination. We
will pay for direct loss by fire resulting from
any of these.
6. Loss to any data or sound receiving or
transmitting equipment designed for use
as a citizens band radio; two-way mobile
radio; telephone; facsimile machine; or
scanning monitor receiver; including its
antennas or accessories.
This exclusion does not apply if the
equipment is permanently installed in the
dash or console opening normally used by
the auto manufacturer for the installation
of a radio.
7. Loss to equipment designed for the
reproduction of sound not permanently
installed in "your covered auto".
8. Loss to tapes, records, compact discs or
other sound reproducing devices
designed for use with sound reproducing
equipment.
9. Loss to "spare parts" caused by theft
unless the loss results from forcible entry
into the place where your "spare parts"
are normally kept; into "your covered auto"
itself; or into a securely locked
compartment. All losses caused by theft
must have visible marks of forcible entry.
10. Loss or damage intentionally caused or
directed by you or any "family member".
11. Loss to "your covered auto" as a result of
anyone causing you to voluntarily part with
it as a result of any trick or scheme.
12. Loss caused by or resulting from “your
covered auto” being prepared for or being
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 9 of 13
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
A. We will pay the limit shown under Coverage D
in the Declarations for each scheduled
vehicle, which is agreed to be the value of
"your covered auto", in case of a total loss or
"constructive total loss".
B. For all other loss or damage to "your covered
auto", we will pay the amount necessary to
repair or replace the property, whichever is
less, provided you actually repair or replace
the property, with similar kind and quality,
without regard to depreciation or betterment,
but we will not pay more than the agreed limit
per vehicle shown under Coverage D in the
Declarations.
LOSS TO A PAIR, SET OR PARTS
In case of a loss to a pair or set we will repair or
replace any part to restore the pair or set to its
value before the loss.
In case of loss or damage to any part of an
insured item consisting of several parts, we are
liable only for the value of the lost or damaged
part.
PAYMENT OF LOSS
Unless a claim has been paid by others, we will
pay any loss covered under this policy within 5
business days after we reach agreement with you,
entry of a final judgment, or the filing of an
appraisal award with us.
We may pay for loss in money or repair or replace
the damaged or stolen property. We may, at our
expense, return any stolen property to you or to
the address shown in this policy. If we return
stolen property we will pay for any damage
resulting from the theft. We may keep all or part of
the property at an agreed or appraised value.
The right of salvage belongs to us. You may, at
your option, purchase the salvage from us. You
must advise us of your intent prior to our making
payments under the terms of this policy.
NO BENEFIT TO BAILEE
No person or organization having custody of the
property who is paid or to be paid for services
shall benefit from this coverage.
OTHER INSURANCE
If there is other applicable similar insurance we will
pay only our share of the loss. Our share is the
APPRAISAL
A. If we and you do not agree on the amount of
loss, and:
1. The amount of loss is $10,000 or less, the
loss shall be submitted to appraisal.
2. The amount of loss is greater than
$10,000, either party may demand an
appraisal of the loss.
In the event of an appraisal, each party will
select a competent and impartial appraiser.
The two appraisers will select an umpire. The
appraisers will state separately the actual
cash value and the amount of loss. If they fail
to agree, they will submit their differences to
the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two
will be binding. Each party will:
1. Pay its chosen appraiser; and
2. Bear the expenses of the appraisal and
umpire equally.
B. We do not waive any of our rights under this
policy by agreeing to an appraisal.
VEHICLE TRAILER
"Your vehicle trailer" is covered only for physical
loss or damage to the trailer itself.
We will cover "your vehicle trailer" for up to the
amount of insurance, and less any applicable
deductible, specified in the Declarations.
Coverage is subject to all of the applicable terms
and conditions of this policy.
"Your vehicle trailer" means the vehicle trailer(s)
PART E - DUTIES AFTER AN
ACCIDENT OR LOSS
A. We, or our authorized representative, must be
notified promptly of how, when and where the
accident or loss happened. Notice should also
include the names and addresses of any
injured persons and of any witnesses.
B. A person seeking any coverage must:
1. Cooperate with us in the investigation,
settlement or defense of any claim or suit.
2. Promptly send us copies of any notices or
legal papers received in connection with
the accident or loss.
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 10 of 13
3. Submit, as often as we reasonably
require:
a. To physical exams by physicians we
select. We will pay for these exams.
b. To examination under oath and
subscribe the same.
4. Authorize us to obtain:
a. Medical reports; and
b. Other pertinent records.
5. Submit a proof of loss when required by
us.
C. A person seeking Uninsured Motorists
Coverage must also:
1. Promptly notify the police if a hit-and-run
driver is involved.
2. Promptly send us copies of the legal
papers if a suit is brought.
D. A person seeking Coverage for Damage to
Your Auto must also:
1. Take reasonable steps after a loss to
protect “your covered auto” or any “nonowned
auto” and their equipment from
further loss. We will pay reasonable
expenses incurred to do this.
2. Promptly notify the policy if “your covered
auto” or any “non-owned auto” is stolen.
3. Permit us to inspect and appraise the
damaged property before its repair or
disposal.
PART F - GENERAL PROVISIONS
VEHICLE INSURANCE REQUIREMENT
Minnesota statutes 65B.41 to 65b.71 mandate
coverages of Bodily Injury and Property Damage
Liability, Personal Injury Protection and Uninsured
and Underinsured Motorists, according to state
“no-fault” laws. This policy complies with
Minnesota Statutes 65B.41 to 65B.71 for the
coverages specified.
BANKRUPTCY
Bankruptcy, insolvency or dissolution of the
"insured" shall not relieve us of any obligations
under this policy.
CHANGES
A. This policy contains all the agreements
between you and us. Its terms may not be
changed or waived except by written
endorsement issued by us.
B. If there is a change to the information used to
develop the policy premium, we may adjust
your premium. Changes during the policy term
that may result in a premium increase or
decrease include, but are not limited to:
1. The number, type or use classification of
insured vehicles;
2. Operators using insured vehicles;
3. The place of principal garaging of insured
vehicles;
4. Coverages, deductibles or limits;
5. Alterations or modifications to "your
covered auto".
If you alter or modify your vehicle in any
way you must notify us in writing within 30
days.
If a change resulting from paragraphs A. or B.
requires a premium adjustment, we will make the
premium adjustment in accordance with our
manual rules.
C. If we make a change which broadens
coverage under this edition of your policy
without additional premium charge, that
change will automatically apply to your policy
as of the date we implement the change in
your state. This paragraph (C.) does not apply
to changes implemented with a general
program revision that includes both
broadenings and restrictions in coverage,
whether that general program revision is
implemented through introduction of:
1. A subsequent edition of your policy; or
2. An Amendatory Endorsement.
CONCEALMENT OR FRAUD
We do not provide coverage for any “insured” who
has made fraudulent statements or engaged in
fraudulent conduct in connection with any accident
or loss for which coverage is sought under this
policy. This provision does not apply to Part A -
Liability Coverage.
LEGAL ACTION AGAINST US
A. No legal action may be brought against us
until there has been full compliance with all
the terms of this policy. In addition, under Part
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 11 of 13
A, no legal action may be brought against us
until:
1. We agree in writing that the "insured" has
an obligation to pay; or
2. The amount of that obligation has been
finally determined by judgment after trial.
B. No person(s) or organization(s) has any right
under this policy to bring us into any action to
determine the liability of an "insured".
C. Under Part D, suit or action must start within
24 months of the date of loss, but this time
period will be extended by the number of days
between the date you file your proof of loss
with us and the date we deny all or part of
your claim.
PAYMENT OF LOSS
Payment of loss, with all your indebtedness to us
being first deducted, will be made within five
business days after we either reach agreement
with you, a final judgment is entered in the court,
or an arbitration award is filed with us.
If we pay a total loss or a “constructive total loss”
for any of “your covered auto(s)” shown in the
Declarations, all coverage under this policy for
such covered auto(s) will terminate simultaneously
upon payment of the loss. The amount we will pay
for a total loss or “constructive total loss” of “your
covered auto” shall be reduced by any amount
previously paid for repairs not completed at the
time of the total loss.
“Constructive total loss” means a loss where the
cost to repair damage to “your covered auto” will
exceed the agreed value of the vehicle when fully
repaired.
OUR RIGHT TO RECOVER PAYMENT
A. If we make payment under this policy and the
person to or for whom payment was made has
a right to recover damages from another we
shall be subrogated to that right. That person
shall do:
1. Whatever is necessary to enable us to
exercise our rights; and
2. Nothing after loss to prejudice our rights.
However, our rights in this paragraph (A.) do
not apply under Part D, against any person
using "your covered auto" with a reasonable
belief that that person is entitled to do so.
B. If we make a payment under this policy and
the person to or for whom payment is made
recovers damages from another, that person
shall:
1. Hold in trust for us the proceeds of the
recovery; and
2. Reimburse us to the extent of our
payment.
C. Our rights under Paragraph A. with respect to
all coverages do not apply against:
1. The person or organization legally
responsible for damages, if we also insure
that person or organization for the same
loss or damages; or
2. Any “insured”.
D. Our rights under Paragraph A. with respect to
A person 21 years of age or older who:
1. sold, bartered, furnished or gave to, or
purchased for a person under the age of
21years alcoholic beverages that caused
the intoxication of that person; and
2. permitted the consumption of alcoholic
beverages that caused the intoxication of
the person under the age of 21.
This paragraph applies when the under age,
intoxicated person causes an injury, loss or
damage for which payment is made under this
policy.
E. With respect to Part D., we shall be entitled to
a recovery from the amount we receive under
Paragraph A. or B. only after the person has
been fully compensated for any applicable
deductible.
F. Our rights in Paragraphs A. and B. are subject
to any applicable limitations contained in the
Minnesota statutes.
ABANDONMENT
There can be no abandonment of "your insured
property" to us.
"Your insured property" means "your covered
auto", "spare parts" and/or personal effects.
POLICY PERIOD AND TERRITORY
A. This policy applies only to accidents and
losses which occur:
1. During the policy period as shown in the
Declarations; and
2. Within the policy territory.
B. The policy territory is:
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 12 of 13
1. The United States of America, its
territories or possessions; or
2. Canada.
This policy also applies to loss to, or accidents
involving, "your covered auto" while being
transported between their ports.
TERMINATION
Cancellation. This policy may be canceled during
the policy period as follows:
1. The named insured shown in the
Declarations may cancel by:
a. Returning this policy to us; or
b. Giving us advance written notice of
the date cancellation is to take effect.
2. We may cancel by:
a. Giving to the named insured shown in
the Declarations at the address shown
in this policy at least 10 days notice.
(1) If cancellation is for nonpayment
of premium; or
(2) If this policy has been in effect
less than 60 days at the time
notice is given and this is not a
renewal or continuation policy; or
b. Giving to the named insured shown in
in this policy at least 30 days notice in
all other cases.
3. After this policy is in effect for 60 days, or
if this is a renewal or continuation policy,
we will cancel only:
a. For nonpayment of premium; or
b. If your driver’s license or that of any
driver who is not a named insured
under any other policy; and who:
(1) Lives with you; or
(2) Customarily uses “your covered
auto”;
has been suspended or revoked as
the result of a moving traffic violation
or because the driver refused to be
tested under the implied consent law,
Section 169.121, subdivision 1,
paragraph (a). This must have
occurred:
(1) During the policy period; or
(2) Since the last anniversary of the
original effective date if the policy
period is other than 1 year; or
c. If the policy was obtained through
material misrepresentation.
Nonrenewal. If we decide not to renew or
continue this policy, we will (subject to the
provisions of the laws of the State of
Minnesota) mail notice to the named
insured shown in the Declarations at the
address shown in this policy. The named
insured will be provided with a minimum
of60 days advanced notice of our intention
not to renew or continue this policy . If the
policy period is:
1. Less than 6 months, we will have the
right not to renew or continue this
policy every 6 months, beginning
6 months after its original effective
date.
2. 1 year or longer, we will have the right
not to renew or continue this policy at
each anniversary of its original
effective date.
However, even if we fail to comply with the
above paragraph, this policy will
terminate:
1. At the end of the current policy period,
if:
a. You fail to pay the required
renewal/continuation premium
when due; or
b. We offer to renew or continue and
you or your representative do not
accept.
2. On the effective date of any other auto
insurance policy you obtain for “your covered
auto” designated in both policies.
D. Other Termination Provisions.
1. We may deliver any notice instead of
mailing it. Proof of mailing of any notice
shall be sufficient proof of notice.
2. If this policy is canceled, you may be
entitled to a premium refund. The
premium refund, if any, will be computed
according to our manual.
3. The effective date of cancellation stated in
the notice shall become the end of the
policy period.
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 13 of 13
OTHER INSURANCE POLICIES
This policy provides coverage for your "antique
vehicle" and/or "classic vehicle" and applies only
to the vehicle(s) shown in the Declarations. Any
other vehicles you own should be insured by a
separate policy. In no event will this policy provide
coverage for any vehicles other than those shown
in the Declarations, or which are added to this
policy by endorsement. However, any insurance
we provide with respect to a “temporary loaned
vehicle” shall be excess over any other collectible
insurance.
TRANSFER OF YOUR INTEREST IN THIS
POLICY
A. Your rights and duties under this policy may
not be assigned without our written consent.
However, if a “named insured" shown in the
Declarations dies, coverage will be provided
for:
1. The surviving spouse if a resident in the
same household at the time of death.
Coverage applies to the spouse as though
a "named insured" shown in the
Declarations; and
2. The legal representative of the deceased
person as though a "named insured"
shown in the Declarations. This applies
only with respect to the representative's
legal responsibility to maintain or use
"your covered auto".
B. Coverage will only be provided until the end of
the policy period.
TWO OR MORE AUTO POLICIES
If this policy and any other auto insurance policy
issued to you by us apply to the same accident,
the maximum limit of our liability under all the
policies shall not exceed the highest applicable
limit of liability under any one policy.
STATE LAW
Any part of this policy that conflicts with state law
is automatically changed to conform to the law.

AC 200 MN 05 18
AC 200 MN 05 18 Page 1 of 5
PLEASE READ THIS ENDORSEMENT CAREFULLY AS IT CHANGES YOUR POLICY

COMPETITION EXCLUSION – MINNESOTA
The following amendments change the policy. Please read your entire policy for full details about your
coverages.
DEFINITIONS
Under the Definitions provision, the following definitions are added:
“Minimum limits” means the following limits of liability, as required by Minnesota law, to be provided
under a policy of automobile liability insurance:
a. $30,000 for each person, subject to $60,000 for each accident, with respect to “bodily injury”;
and
b. $10,000 for each accident with respect to “property damage”.
“Paddock” means the area at the race course where racing vehicles are parked. It does not include any
pit area, or the track/course or its entrance or exit lanes.
PART A- LIABILITY COVERAGE
Under the Exclusions provision, the following exclusion is added:
We do not provide Liability Coverage for any “insured”:
a. Who is involved in any prearranged, organized, or spontaneous race or who is involved in:
1. Preparation for a race of this type, but only while in any pit area, on the track or racecourse or its
entrance or exit lanes; or
2. Practicing or qualifying for a race of this type.
A race includes any contest for speed or endurance, whether against another competitor or against a
time measuring device.
b. Using “your covered auto” at a:
1. Racing facility; or
2. Facility or roadway temporarily designated for speed, time, racing, or performance driving
events. This includes, but is not limited to, the use of “your covered auto” at a performance or
racing driving school, a rally in excess of the legal speed limit, or a closed road rally.
However, paragraphs a.1. and b. of this exclusion do not apply while “your covered auto” is:
1. In a race facility’s “paddock” area or a specified show display area;
2. Being trailered from one location to another;
3. Used by you to attend a racing event as a spectator;
4. Being operated for purposes of display in any pre-or post-race parade laps; or
5. Involved in an organized event on open, public roads while operated within legal speed.
c. Using “your covered auto” to prepare, practice or qualify for, or participate in, any of the following
activities, regardless of where they take place:
1. Forced hydraulic bouncing competitions or exhibitions;
2. Pulling against another vehicle, or pulling of a weighted object competitions or exhibitions, but
not including trailer pulling;
3. Stereo thumping competitions or exhibitions; or
AC 200 MN 05 18
AC 200 MN 05 18 Page 2 of 5
4. Any other similar competitive or exhibition activity that a reasonable person could foresee may
cause injury or damage.
However, paragraph c. of this exclusion does not apply while “your covered auto” is:
1. In a facility or a specified show display area and is not involved in any competitive or exhibition
activity described in this paragraph;
2. Being trailered from one location to another; or
3. Used by you to attend an event as a spectator.
This exclusion does not apply to rallies held in whole or in part on public roads to the extent that the
limits of liability for this coverage do not exceed the “minimum limits” of liability.
PART B- MEDICAL PAYMENTS COVERAGE
Under the Exclusions provision, Exclusion 9. is replaced by the following:
We do not provide Medical Payments Coverage for any “insured” for “bodily injury”:
Sustained while “occupying” “your covered auto” when it is:
a. Involved in any prearranged, organized, or spontaneous race or involved in:
1. Preparation for a race of this type, but only while in any pit area, on the track or racecourse or its
A race includes any contest for speed or endurance, whether against another competitor or against a
time measuring device.
b. Being used at a:
1. Racing facility; or
2. Facility or roadway temporarily designated for speed, time, racing, or performance driving
events. This includes, but is not limited to, the use of “your covered auto” at a performance or
racing driving school, a rally in excess of the legal speed limit, or a closed road rally.
However, paragraphs a.1. and b. of this exclusion do not apply while “your covered auto” is:
4. Being operated for purposes of display in any pre-or post-race parade laps; or
5. Involved in an organized event on open, public roads while operated within legal speed.
c. Being used to prepare, practice or qualify for, or participate in, any of the following activities,
regardless of where they take place:
2. Pulling against another vehicle, or pulling of a weighted object competitions or exhibitions, but
4. Any other similar competitive or exhibition activity that a reasonable person could foresee may
cause injury or damage.
However, paragraph c. of this exclusion does not apply while “your covered auto” is:
1. In a facility or a specified show display area and is not involved in any competitive or exhibition
AC 200 MN 05 18
AC 200 MN 05 18 Page 3 of 5
PART C - UNINSURED AND UNDERINSURED MOTORISTS COVERAGE
Under the Exclusions provision, Exclusion B.5. is replaced by the following:
We do not provide Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists Coverage for “bodily injury” sustained by any
“insured” while “occupying” “your covered auto” when it is:
1. Preparation for a race of this type, but only while any pit area on the track or racecourse or its
time measuring device.
b. Being used at a:
1. Racing facility; or
c. Being used to prepare, practice or qualify for, or participate in, any of the following activities,
cause injury or damage.
This exclusion does not apply to rallies held in whole or in part on public roads to the extent that
the limits of liability for this coverage do not exceed the “minimum limits” of liability.
AC 200 MN 05 18
AC 200 MN 05 18 Page 4 of 5
PART D-COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR COVERED AUTO
Under the Exclusions provision, Exclusion 12. is replaced by the following:
We will not pay for:
Loss caused by or resulting from “your covered auto” being:
1. Preparation for a race of this type, but only while in any pit area or on the track or racecourse or
its entrance or exit lanes; or
time measuring device.
b. Being used at a:
1. Racing facility; or
cause injury or damage.
PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION COVERAGE
We do not provide Personal Injury Protection Coverage for “bodily injury” sustained by any “insured”:
a. Who is involved in any prearranged, organized, or spontaneous race or who is involved in:
1. Preparation for a race of this type, but only while in any pit area or on the track or racecourse or
AC 200 MN 05 18
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/21/21 02:37 AM

Here’s my take on this. I’ve used Hagerty for the past 30 years. Pretty solid company. I’ve also done auctions for the past 25 years and never a problem. When I sold my71 Charger at the 2010 auction, the year of the big storm my Charger was under consignment with Russo. In the papers I signed it states that you must have insurance on the car. I posed that question to Hagerty. They told me I was covered for the weekend of the show. They also told me to notify them when the car sells. If the car doesn’t sell you retain possession of the car however the tittle is retain for 30 days in case the car sell. Once the 30 days have passed Russo sends your title back. In the case of the 2010 auction my car was under the canopy that collapsed. Fortunately, the only damage was to the paint but it would of required a repaint.

The site had been restricted as a hazard and no one was allowed in for two days.

Once we were allowed back in the site there was a meeting with the auction personnel and the car owners. At that meeting it was explained how the event was to proceed. We were told that we would receive a call from an adjuster at which time an appointment was made for the adjuster to inspect the car. A rep from Hagerty spoke on how claim would be handled with Haggerty customers.

Prior to the meeting the auction decided to proceed with selling starting on Sunday and ending on Monday. Owners were given the option of folding, picking their car up and ending their relationship with the auction. They were also given the option of being refunded our entry fees. Owners wishing to stay with the auction would be given a block schedule later that afternoon one the adjusters were through. Russo footed the bill for the adjusters.

At noon I had an appointment and met the adjuster. The adjuster went over the car and handed me an inspection sheet. I then went to the Hagerty rep to find out how the damages would be paid. I was told that if I sold the car at auction I would retain any monies I made on the car. Also Hagert would reimburse me for the damages to the car. If I had chosen to leave the auction Hagerty would handle the claim just as if it were damaged and adjust the amount accordingly based on what it would have taken to repair the car. My decision was to stay with the auction.

The car crossed the block on Monday with the height bid of $17,500.00. I then loaded up and headed home. 3 weeks later I got a check from Russo for the bid amount minus their 8%. The next day I got a email from Hagerty telling me a check for $9500.00 was being sent based on the the damage to the vehicle. A week after I got the Hagerty check I received another check from Russo to cover the entry fees. So, as far as I was concerned both Russo and Hagerty stepped to the plate on that deal.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/21/21 05:49 AM

OK, here is my Hagerty policy. I left off the declarations page with my personal information, but there is no exclusions or definitions on it. Just my name and address, the insurance company name, and a list of my cars and the values and the policy limits. This is for Minnesota. It probably varies by state. It contains a very clear list of exclusions. Nowhere does it exclude coverage for a vehicle for sale, at repair shops, at an auction, or driving to work. Please search it for me, in case I'm missing something.

The important thing is this: No matter what anybody, including the agent or an adjuster or me, tells you, the written terms of the policy prevail. And whatever my policy says means nothing to you. Only your written policy determines coverage and exclusions. That is why it is vital to receive, read, and understand your policy. When taking quotes, ask for a written copy of the policy that you will receive. It is usually considerably different that what you will be told verbally. Why all the mis-information from agents? I don't know. I doubt many of them read the policy from cover to cover like I have. I have been the vice chairman on the board of directors of an insurance organization for over 20 years. Only the big problem cases that would go to litigation come before the board, so I see a lot of the stuff that can go wrong. That makes me very cautious.

MINNESOTA
DECLARATIONS PAGE
Your Name and Address
Your Auto and Vehicle
Policy Period
Coverages and Amounts of Insurance
Beginning
on Page
AGREEMENT; DEFINITIONS ................................................................................ 1
PART A
LIABILITY
COVERAGE
Insuring Agreement; Supplementary Payments; Exclusions..................................
Limit of Liability ......................................................................................................
Out of State Coverage; Financial Responsibility; Other Insurance .......................
PART B
MEDICAL
PAYMENTS
COVERAGE
Auto Show Medical Reimbursement; Exclusions; Limit of Liability; Other
Insurance ...............................................................................................................
PART C
UNINSURED
MOTORISTS
COVERAGE
Exclusions; Limit of Liability ...................................................................................
Other Insurance; Arbitration ...................................................................................
PART D
COVERAGE FOR
DAMAGE TO
YOUR COVERED
AUTO
Definitions ...............................................................................................................
Insuring Agreement; Spare Parts; Exclusions; Limit of Liability .............................
Loss to a Pair, Set or Parts; Payment of Loss; No Benefit to Bailee; Other
Insurance; Appraisal; Vehicle Trailer .....................................................................
PART E DUTIES
AFTER AN
ACCIDENT OR
LOSS
............................................................................................................................... 9
PART F
GENERAL
PROVISIONS
Vehicle Insurance Requirement; Bankruptcy; Changes; Concealment or Fraud;
Legal Action Against Us .........................................................................................
Payment of Loss; Our Right to Recover Payment .................................................
Abandonment; Policy Period and Territory; Termination ........................................
Other Insurance Policies; Transfer of Your Interest in This Policy; Two or More
Auto Policies; State Law .........................................................................................
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 1 of 13
AGREEMENT
In return for payment of the premium and subject
to all the terms of this policy, we will provide the
coverages you have selected. All of this
information is shown in the Declarations which is
part of this policy. Your Classic Automobile Policy
is a legal contract between you and Essentia
Insurance Company.
DEFINITIONS
A. Throughout this policy, "you" and "your" refer
to:
1. The "named insured" shown in the
Declarations; and
2. Your spouse, if a resident of the same
household.
B. "We", "us" and "our" refer to the Company
providing insurance.
Other words and phrases are defined. They are in
quotation marks when used.
C. "Bodily injury" means bodily harm to a person
and any sickness, disease, or death, to that
person resulting therefrom.
D. "Business" includes trade, profession or
occupation.
E. "Family member" means a person related to
you by blood, marriage or adoption, including
a minor in the custody of:
1. You; or
2. Any related person;
who is a resident of your household or who is
temporarily residing elsewhere.
F. "Occupying" means in, upon, getting in, on,
out or off.
G. "Property damage" means physical injury to,
destruction of, or loss of use of, tangible
property.
H. "Vehicle trailer" means a vehicle designed to
be pulled by a:
1. Private passenger auto; or
2. Pickup, panel truck or van;
that is used only for the transportation of "your
covered auto”.
I. "Your covered auto" means:
1. Any "antique vehicle" or "classic vehicle"
2. Any "antique vehicle" or "classic vehicle"
on the date you became owner during the
policy period, whether as a new vehicle or
replacement of a vehicle shown in the
Declarations, provided that:
a. It is in stock condition and has not
been modified from the original
manufactured design;
b. You ask us to insure it within thirty days
after you become the owner; and
c. We insure all of your collector vehicles.
Under Part D – Coverage For Damage to
Your Covered Auto, the limit provided on
this vehicle, will be the lesser of the
following:
a. The purchase price;
b. The verifiable value; or
c. $50,000.
3. Any “trailer” pulled by your “antique
vehicle”, “classic vehicle”, or “exotic and
special interest vehicle”.
J. "Antique vehicle" means a motor vehicle 25
years or more of age that:
collection; and
purposes.
K. "Classic vehicle" means a motor vehicle of
unique or rare design and of limited production
that is an object of curiosity and:
collection; and
purposes.
L. "Regular use vehicle" means a motor vehicle
which is used for regular driving to work,
school, shopping, errands or for general
transportation and is not an "antique vehicle"
or "classic vehicle."
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 2 of 13
M. "Rental vehicle" means a rented:
home;
2. Pickup or van; or
if the rate for their use is determined on a
daily, weekly or monthly basis. However,
“rental vehicle” does not include any such
vehicle if:
1. The rental rate is determined based on a
period longer than one month;
2. The term of the rental agreement is longer
than one month;
3. The rental agreement has a purchase or
buyout option or otherwise functions as a
substitute for purchase of the vehicle; or
4. It is a “temporary loaned vehicle”.
N. “Temporary loaned vehicle” means a:
home;
2. Pickup or van; or
if such vehicle is loaned as a replacement for
“your covered auto” being serviced or repaired
regardless of whether the customer, who is
provided the replacement vehicle, is charged
a fee for the use of such vehicle. However,
“temporary loaned vehicle” does not include
any such vehicle if it is a “rental vehicle.”
PART A - LIABILITY COVERAGE
INSURING AGREEMENT
A. We will pay damages for “bodily injury” or
“property damage” for which any “insured”
becomes legally responsible because of an
auto accident. We will settle or defend, as we
consider appropriate, any claim or suit asking
for damages which are payable under the
terms of this policy. In addition to our limit of
liability, we will pay all defense costs we incur.
B. "Insured" as used in this Part means:
1. You or any "family member" for the
ownership, maintenance or use of "your
covered auto”.
2. Any person using "your covered auto”.
3. For "your covered auto”, any person or
organization but only with respect to legal
responsibility for acts or omissions of a
person for whom coverage is afforded
under this Part.
SUPPLEMENTARY PAYMENTS
We will pay on behalf of an "insured”:
A. Up to $250 for the cost of bail bonds required
because of an accident, including related
traffic law violations. The accident must result
in "bodily injury" or "property damage" covered
under this policy. But we are under no
obligation to furnish these bonds.
B. Premiums on appeal bonds and bonds to
release attachments in any suit we defend.
But we are under no obligation to furnish
these bonds.
C. Interest accruing after a judgment is entered
in any suit we defend. Our duty to pay interest
ends when we offer to pay that part of the
judgment which does not exceed our limit of
liability for this coverage.
D. Up to $50 a day for loss of earnings, but not
other income, because of attendance at
hearings or trials at our request.
E. Other reasonable expense(s) incurred at our
request.
F. Prejudgment interest awarded against the
“insured” on that part of the judgment we pay.
These payments will not reduce the limit of liability,
EXCLUSIONS
A. We do not provide Liability Coverage for any
“insured”:
1. Who intentionally causes "bodily injury" or
"property damage”.
2. For "property damage" to property owned
or being transported by that “insured”.
3. For "property damage" to property:
a. Rented to;
b. Used by; or
c. In the care of;
that “insured”.
This exclusion (3.) does not apply to:
a. "Property damage" to a residence or
private garage,
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 3 of 13
b. “Property damage” to a:
(1) “Rental vehicle”; or
(2) “Temporary loaned vehicle”.
4. For "bodily injury" to an employee of that
“insured” during the course of
employment. This exclusion (4.) does not
apply to "bodily injury" to a domestic
employee unless workers' compensation
benefits are required or available for that
domestic employee.
5. For that “insured’s” liability arising out of
the ownership or operation of "your
covered auto" while it is being used to
carry persons or property for a fee.
6. While employed or otherwise engaged in
the "business" of:
a. Selling;
b. Repairing;
c. Servicing;
d. Storing; or
e. Parking;
vehicles designed for use mainly on public
highways. This includes road testing and
delivery.
This exclusion 6. does not apply to:
a. The ownership, maintenance or use
of “your covered auto” by:
(1) You;
(2) Any “family member” or
(3) Any partner, agent or employee of
you or any “family member”;
b. The ownership maintenance or use of
a “temporary loaned vehicle”, or
c. “Property damage” to a “rental
vehicle”.
7. Maintaining or using "your covered auto"
while that “insured” is employed or
otherwise engaged in any "business"
(other than farming or ranching) not
described in Exclusion 6.
This Exclusion 7. does not apply to:
a. The maintenance or use of a:
(1) Private passenger auto;
(2) Pickup or van
(3) “Trailer used with a vehicle
described in (1) or (2) above; or
b. The ownership, maintenance or use
of a “temporary loaned vehicle”; or
c. Property damage to a “rental vehicle”.
8. Using "your covered auto" without a
entitled to do so. However, this exclusion
does not apply to a “family member” using
“your covered auto” which is owned by
you.
9. For "bodily injury" or "property damage"
for which that “insured”:
a. Is an insured under a nuclear energy
liability policy; or
b. Would be an insured under a nuclear
energy liability policy but for its
termination upon exhaustion of its
limit of liability.
A nuclear energy liability policy is a policy
issued by any of the following or their
successors:
a. Nuclear Energy Liability Insurance
Association;
b. Mutual Atomic Energy Liability
Underwriters; or
c. Nuclear Insurance Association of
Canada.
10. Arising out of the ownership,
maintenance, or use of any vehicle other
than “your covered auto”. This exclusion
does not apply to:
a. A “temporary loaned vehicle”; or
b. “Property damage” to a “rental vehicle”.
B. We do not provide Liability Coverage for “your
covered auto” while “your covered auto” is
being prepared for or is being used in any
prearranged, organized or officiated race or
speed contest, including practicing or testing
for such an event.
This exclusion does not apply to rallies held in
whole or in part on public roads.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
auto accident.
B. In addition to this limit, we will make an
additional amount available for “property
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 4 of 13
damage” to a “rental vehicle” or “temporary
loaned vehicle” for which coverage is provided
under this policy if the limit of liability shown in
the Declarations for this coverage has been
reduced to less than $35,000 by payments for:
1. “Bodily injury”; or
2. “Property damage” to property other than
a “rental vehicle” or “temporary loaned
vehicle” for which coverage is provided
under this policy.
This additional amount is equal to the
difference between $35,000 and that part of
the limit of liability available after all payments
have been made under this coverage for
“bodily injury” and “property damage” to
property other than a “rental vehicle” or
“temporary loaned vehicle” for which coverage
is provided under this policy.
This is the most we will pay regardless of the
number of:
1. “Insureds”;
2. Claims made;
Declarations; or
4. Vehicles involved in the auto accident.
We will apply the limit of liability to provide
separate limits required by law for bodily injury
and property damage liability. However, this
provision will not change our total limit of
liability.
C. No one will be entitled to receive duplicate
this coverage and;
1. Part B or Part C of this policy; or
provided by this policy.
OUT OF STATE COVERAGE
If an auto accident to which this policy applies
occurs in any state or province other than the one
in which "your covered auto" is principally
garaged, we will interpret your policy for that
accident as follows:
A. If the state or province has:
1. A financial responsibility or similar law
specifying limits of liability for "bodily
injury" or "property damage" higher than
the limit shown in the Declarations, your
policy will provide the higher specified
limit.
2. A compulsory insurance or similar law
requiring a nonresident to maintain
insurance whenever the nonresident uses
a vehicle in that state or province, your
policy will provide the required minimum
amounts and types of coverage in that
state or province.
B. No one will be entitled to duplicate payments
for the same elements of loss.
FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
When this policy is certified as future proof of
financial responsibility, this policy shall comply with
the law to the extent required.
OTHER INSURANCE
If there is other applicable insurance we will pay
only our share of the loss. Our share is the
However, any insurance we provide for a vehicle
you do not own, other than:
1. a “temporary loaned vehicle”, including
“property damage” thereto or
2. ”property damage” to a “rental vehicle”;
shall be excess over any other collectible
insurance.
PART B - MEDICAL PAYMENTS
COVERAGE
INSURING AGREEMENT
A. We will pay reasonable expenses incurred for
necessary medical and funeral services
because of "bodily injury":
1. Caused by an accident involving "your
covered auto"; and
2. Sustained by an "insured".
We will pay only those expenses incurred for
services rendered within 3 years from the date
of the accident.
person while "occupying" "your covered auto".
AUTO SHOW MEDICAL REIMBURSEMENT
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 5 of 13
In addition to the limit shown in the declarations for
Medical Payments, we will pay up to $5,000 for
each person injured in any one accident subject to
a maximum occurrence limit of $10,000, for
reasonable expenses incurred for necessary
medical and funeral services because of “bodily
injury” sustained by you and/or any “family
member” caused by an accident while in
attendance at an automobile show, vehicle
auction, or similar automobile related event.
EXCLUSIONS
We do not provide Medical Payments Coverage
for any “insured” for "bodily injury":
1. Sustained while "occupying" "your covered
auto" when it is being used to carry
persons or property for a fee.
2. Sustained while "occupying" "your covered
auto" located for use as a residence or
premises.
3. Occurring during the course of
employment if workers' compensation
benefits are required or available for the
"bodily injury".
4. Sustained while "occupying," or when
struck by, any vehicle other than "your
covered auto".
5. Sustained while "occupying" "your covered
auto" without a reasonable belief that that
“insured” is entitled to do so.
6. Sustained while "occupying" "your covered
auto" when it is being used in the
"business" of an "insured".
7. Caused by or as a consequence of:
a. Discharge of a nuclear weapon (even
if accidental);
b. War (declared or undeclared);
c. Civil war
d. Insurrection; or
e. Rebellion, revolution or terrorism.
8. From or as a consequence of the
following, whether controlled or
uncontrolled or however caused:
a. Nuclear reaction;
b. Radiation; or
c. Radioactive contamination.
9. Sustained while occupying “your covered
auto” when it is being prepared for or is
being used in any prearranged, organized
or officiated race or speed contest,
including practicing or testing for such an
event.
held in whole or in part on public roads.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
liability for each person injured in any one
accident to which this policy applies. This is
the most we will pay regardless of the number
of:
1. "Insureds";
2. Claims made;
Declarations; or
this coverage and:
1. Part A or Part C of this policy: or
provided by this policy.
OTHER INSURANCE
If other insurance also covers a loss, we will pay
only our share. Our share is the proportion that our
limit of liability bears to the total of all applicable
limits.
PART C - UNINSURED MOTORISTS
COVERAGE
INSURING AGREEMENT
A. We will pay compensatory damages which an
"insured" is legally entitled to recover from the
owner or operator of an "uninsured motor
vehicle" because of "bodily injury":
1. Sustained by an "insured" while
"occupying" "your covered auto"; and
2. Caused by an accident.
The owner's or operator's liability for these
damages must arise out of the ownership,
maintenance or use of the "uninsured motor
vehicle".
Any judgment for damage arising out of a suit
brought without our written consent is not
binding on us.
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 6 of 13
person "occupying" "your covered auto".
C. "Uninsured motor vehicle" means a land
motor vehicle or trailer of any type:
1. To which no bodily injury liability bond or
2. To which a bodily injury liability bond or
In this case its limit for bodily injury liability
must be less than the minimum limit for
bodily injury liability specified by the
financial responsibility law of the state in
which "your covered auto" is principally
garaged.
3. Which is a hit and run vehicle whose
operator or owner cannot be identified and
which hits:
a. You or any "family member" while
"occupying" "your covered auto"; or
b. "Your covered auto".
4. To which a bodily injury liability bond or
policy applies at the time of the accident
but the bonding or insuring company:
a. Denies coverage; or
b. Is or becomes insolvent.
However, "uninsured motor vehicle" does
not include any vehicle or equipment:
1. Owned by, or furnished or available
for the regular use of, you or any
"family member".
2. Owned or operated by a self-insurer
under any applicable motor vehicle
law, except a self-insurer which is or
becomes insolvent.
3. Owned by any governmental unit or
agency.
4. Operated on rails or crawler treads.
5. Designed mainly for use off public
roads while not on public roads.
6. While located for use as a residence
or premises.
EXCLUSIONS
A. We do not provide Uninsured Motorists
Coverage for "bodily injury" sustained:
1. By an “insured” while “occupying”, or when
struck by, any motor vehicle owned by
that “insured” which is not insured for this
coverage under this policy. This includes a
trailer of any type used with that vehicle.
2. By any “family member” while “occupying”,
or when struck by, any motor vehicle you
own which is insured for this coverage on
a primary basis under any other policy.
B. We do not provide Uninsured Motorists
Coverage for “bodily injury” sustained by any
“insured”:
1. If that “insured” or the legal representative
settles the "bodily injury" claim without our
consent.
2. While "occupying" "your covered auto"
when it is being used to carry persons or
property for a fee.
3. Using "your covered auto" without a
entitled to do so.
4. While "occupying" any vehicle other than
"your covered auto".
5. While “occupying” “your covered auto”
when it is being prepared for or is being
C. This coverage shall not apply directly or
indirectly to benefit any insurer or self-insurer
under any of the following or similar law:
1. Workers' compensation law; or
D. We do not provide Uninsured Motorists
Coverage for punitive or exemplary damages.
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
accident. This is the most we will pay
regardless of the number of:
1. "Insureds”;
2. Claims made;
Declarations; or
this coverage and:
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 7 of 13
1. Part A or Part B of this policy; or
provided by this policy.
C. We will not make a duplicate payment under
this coverage for any element of loss for which
payment has been made by or on behalf of
persons or organizations who may be legally
responsible.
D. We will not pay for any element of loss if a
person is entitled to receive payment for the
same element of loss under any of the
following or similar law:
1. Workers’ compensation law: or
OTHER INSURANCE
If there is other applicable insurance available
under one or more policies or provisions of
coverage:
1. Any recovery for damages under all such
policies or provisions of coverage may
equal but not exceed the highest
applicable limit for any one vehicle under
any insurance providing coverage on
either a primary or excess basis.
2. Any insurance we provide with respect to
a vehicle you do not own shall be excess
over any collectible insurance providing
coverage on a primary basis.
3. If the coverage under this policy is
provided:
a. On a primary basis, we will pay only
coverage on a primary basis. Our
coverage provided on a primary basis.
b. On an excess basis, we will pay only
coverage on an excess basis. Our
coverage provided on an excess
basis.
ARBITRATION
A. If we and an "insured" do not agree:
1. Whether that “insured” is legally entitled to
recover damages; or
2. As to the amount of damages which are
recoverable by that “insured”;
from the owner or operator of an “uninsured
motor vehicle”, then the matter may be
arbitrated. However, disputes concerning
coverage under this Part may not be
arbitrated.
Both parties must agree to arbitration. If so
agreed, each party will select an arbitrator.
The two arbitrators will select a third. If they
cannot agree within 30 days, either may
request that selection be made by a judge of a
court having jurisdiction.
B. Each party will:
1. Pay the expenses it incurs; and
2. Bear the expenses of the third arbitrator
equally.
C. Unless both parties agree otherwise,
arbitration will take place in the county in
which the "named insured" lives. Local rules of
law as to procedure and evidence will apply. A
decision agreed to by two of the arbitrators will
be binding as to:
1. Whether the "insured" is legally entitled to
recover damages; and
2. The amount of damages. This applies
only if the amount does not exceed the
minimum limit for bodily injury liability
specified by the financial responsibility law
of the state in which "your covered auto" is
principally garaged. If the amount exceeds
that limit, either party may demand the
right to a trial. This demand must be made
in writing within 60 days of the arbitrators'
decision. If this demand is not made, the
amount of damages agreed to by the
arbitrators will be binding.
PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE
TO YOUR COVERED AUTO
DEFINITIONS
A. "Other than collision" includes loss to "your
covered auto" caused by missiles or falling
objects; fire; theft or larceny; explosion or
earthquake; windstorm; hail, water or flood;
malicious mischief or vandalism; riot or civil
commotion; contact with bird or animal; or
breakage of glass. If breakage of glass is
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 8 of 13
caused by a "collision", you may elect to have
it considered a loss caused by "collision".
B. "Collision" means the upset or impact of "your
covered auto" with another object.
C. "Equipment" means tools stored in "your
covered auto" and used for the emergency
maintenance of "your covered auto".
INSURING AGREEMENT
We will pay for direct and accidental loss to "your
covered auto", including its "equipment", minus
any applicable deductible shown in the
Declarations, when such loss is caused by:
1. "Other than collision" only if the
Declarations indicate that Other Than
Collision Coverage is provided for that
auto.
2. "Collision" only if the Declarations indicate
that Collision Coverage is provided for that
auto.
SPARE PARTS
We will pay up to $250 for direct and accidental
loss or damage to "spare parts" for "your covered
auto".
"Spare parts" means a replacement for an item
normally a part of "your covered auto" which is not
currently in place on "your covered auto".
This coverage does not:
1. Increase the limit of liability for "your
covered auto" as stated under Part D in
the Declarations.
2. Include parts held for sale by you or
property of others in your care, custody or
control.
EXCLUSIONS
A. We will not pay for:
1. Loss or damage caused by insects or
vermin; inherent defect; dampness,
mildew, mold, rot or rust; temperature
extremes; mechanical or electrical
breakdown or failure; wear and tear;
gradual deterioration; or loss of use.
2. Loss or damage caused by any repairing,
renovating or refinishing process unless
the process results in a fire or explosion.
We will pay only for damage caused by
the fire or explosion.
3. Road damage to tires unless caused by
"other than collision" covered by this
policy.
4. Loss due to or as a consequence of war
(declared or undeclared), civil war,
insurrection, rebellion, revolution,
terrorism, government confiscation or
repossession.
5. Loss due to nuclear reaction, nuclear
radiation or radioactive contamination. We
will pay for direct loss by fire resulting from
any of these.
6. Loss to any data or sound receiving or
transmitting equipment designed for use
as a citizens band radio; two-way mobile
radio; telephone; facsimile machine; or
scanning monitor receiver; including its
antennas or accessories.
This exclusion does not apply if the
equipment is permanently installed in the
dash or console opening normally used by
the auto manufacturer for the installation
of a radio.
7. Loss to equipment designed for the
reproduction of sound not permanently
installed in "your covered auto".
8. Loss to tapes, records, compact discs or
other sound reproducing devices
designed for use with sound reproducing
equipment.
9. Loss to "spare parts" caused by theft
unless the loss results from forcible entry
into the place where your "spare parts"
are normally kept; into "your covered auto"
itself; or into a securely locked
compartment. All losses caused by theft
must have visible marks of forcible entry.
10. Loss or damage intentionally caused or
directed by you or any "family member".
11. Loss to "your covered auto" as a result of
anyone causing you to voluntarily part with
it as a result of any trick or scheme.
12. Loss caused by or resulting from “your
covered auto” being prepared for or being
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 9 of 13
LIMIT OF LIABILITY
A. We will pay the limit shown under Coverage D
in the Declarations for each scheduled
vehicle, which is agreed to be the value of
"your covered auto", in case of a total loss or
"constructive total loss".
B. For all other loss or damage to "your covered
auto", we will pay the amount necessary to
repair or replace the property, whichever is
less, provided you actually repair or replace
the property, with similar kind and quality,
without regard to depreciation or betterment,
but we will not pay more than the agreed limit
per vehicle shown under Coverage D in the
Declarations.
LOSS TO A PAIR, SET OR PARTS
In case of a loss to a pair or set we will repair or
replace any part to restore the pair or set to its
value before the loss.
In case of loss or damage to any part of an
insured item consisting of several parts, we are
liable only for the value of the lost or damaged
part.
PAYMENT OF LOSS
Unless a claim has been paid by others, we will
pay any loss covered under this policy within 5
business days after we reach agreement with you,
entry of a final judgment, or the filing of an
appraisal award with us.
We may pay for loss in money or repair or replace
the damaged or stolen property. We may, at our
expense, return any stolen property to you or to
the address shown in this policy. If we return
stolen property we will pay for any damage
resulting from the theft. We may keep all or part of
the property at an agreed or appraised value.
The right of salvage belongs to us. You may, at
your option, purchase the salvage from us. You
must advise us of your intent prior to our making
payments under the terms of this policy.
NO BENEFIT TO BAILEE
No person or organization having custody of the
property who is paid or to be paid for services
shall benefit from this coverage.
OTHER INSURANCE
If there is other applicable similar insurance we will
pay only our share of the loss. Our share is the
APPRAISAL
A. If we and you do not agree on the amount of
loss, and:
1. The amount of loss is $10,000 or less, the
loss shall be submitted to appraisal.
2. The amount of loss is greater than
$10,000, either party may demand an
appraisal of the loss.
In the event of an appraisal, each party will
select a competent and impartial appraiser.
The two appraisers will select an umpire. The
appraisers will state separately the actual
cash value and the amount of loss. If they fail
to agree, they will submit their differences to
the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two
will be binding. Each party will:
1. Pay its chosen appraiser; and
2. Bear the expenses of the appraisal and
umpire equally.
B. We do not waive any of our rights under this
policy by agreeing to an appraisal.
VEHICLE TRAILER
"Your vehicle trailer" is covered only for physical
loss or damage to the trailer itself.
We will cover "your vehicle trailer" for up to the
amount of insurance, and less any applicable
deductible, specified in the Declarations.
Coverage is subject to all of the applicable terms
and conditions of this policy.
"Your vehicle trailer" means the vehicle trailer(s)
PART E - DUTIES AFTER AN
ACCIDENT OR LOSS
A. We, or our authorized representative, must be
notified promptly of how, when and where the
accident or loss happened. Notice should also
include the names and addresses of any
injured persons and of any witnesses.
B. A person seeking any coverage must:
1. Cooperate with us in the investigation,
settlement or defense of any claim or suit.
2. Promptly send us copies of any notices or
legal papers received in connection with
the accident or loss.
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 10 of 13
3. Submit, as often as we reasonably
require:
a. To physical exams by physicians we
select. We will pay for these exams.
b. To examination under oath and
subscribe the same.
4. Authorize us to obtain:
a. Medical reports; and
b. Other pertinent records.
5. Submit a proof of loss when required by
us.
C. A person seeking Uninsured Motorists
Coverage must also:
1. Promptly notify the police if a hit-and-run
driver is involved.
2. Promptly send us copies of the legal
papers if a suit is brought.
D. A person seeking Coverage for Damage to
Your Auto must also:
1. Take reasonable steps after a loss to
protect “your covered auto” or any “nonowned
auto” and their equipment from
further loss. We will pay reasonable
expenses incurred to do this.
2. Promptly notify the policy if “your covered
auto” or any “non-owned auto” is stolen.
3. Permit us to inspect and appraise the
damaged property before its repair or
disposal.
PART F - GENERAL PROVISIONS
VEHICLE INSURANCE REQUIREMENT
Minnesota statutes 65B.41 to 65b.71 mandate
coverages of Bodily Injury and Property Damage
Liability, Personal Injury Protection and Uninsured
and Underinsured Motorists, according to state
“no-fault” laws. This policy complies with
Minnesota Statutes 65B.41 to 65B.71 for the
coverages specified.
BANKRUPTCY
Bankruptcy, insolvency or dissolution of the
"insured" shall not relieve us of any obligations
under this policy.
CHANGES
A. This policy contains all the agreements
between you and us. Its terms may not be
changed or waived except by written
endorsement issued by us.
B. If there is a change to the information used to
develop the policy premium, we may adjust
your premium. Changes during the policy term
that may result in a premium increase or
decrease include, but are not limited to:
1. The number, type or use classification of
insured vehicles;
2. Operators using insured vehicles;
3. The place of principal garaging of insured
vehicles;
4. Coverages, deductibles or limits;
5. Alterations or modifications to "your
covered auto".
If you alter or modify your vehicle in any
way you must notify us in writing within 30
days.
If a change resulting from paragraphs A. or B.
requires a premium adjustment, we will make the
premium adjustment in accordance with our
manual rules.
C. If we make a change which broadens
coverage under this edition of your policy
without additional premium charge, that
change will automatically apply to your policy
as of the date we implement the change in
your state. This paragraph (C.) does not apply
to changes implemented with a general
program revision that includes both
broadenings and restrictions in coverage,
whether that general program revision is
implemented through introduction of:
1. A subsequent edition of your policy; or
2. An Amendatory Endorsement.
CONCEALMENT OR FRAUD
We do not provide coverage for any “insured” who
has made fraudulent statements or engaged in
fraudulent conduct in connection with any accident
or loss for which coverage is sought under this
policy. This provision does not apply to Part A -
Liability Coverage.
LEGAL ACTION AGAINST US
A. No legal action may be brought against us
until there has been full compliance with all
the terms of this policy. In addition, under Part
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 11 of 13
A, no legal action may be brought against us
until:
1. We agree in writing that the "insured" has
an obligation to pay; or
2. The amount of that obligation has been
finally determined by judgment after trial.
B. No person(s) or organization(s) has any right
under this policy to bring us into any action to
determine the liability of an "insured".
C. Under Part D, suit or action must start within
24 months of the date of loss, but this time
period will be extended by the number of days
between the date you file your proof of loss
with us and the date we deny all or part of
your claim.
PAYMENT OF LOSS
Payment of loss, with all your indebtedness to us
being first deducted, will be made within five
business days after we either reach agreement
with you, a final judgment is entered in the court,
or an arbitration award is filed with us.
If we pay a total loss or a “constructive total loss”
for any of “your covered auto(s)” shown in the
Declarations, all coverage under this policy for
such covered auto(s) will terminate simultaneously
upon payment of the loss. The amount we will pay
for a total loss or “constructive total loss” of “your
covered auto” shall be reduced by any amount
previously paid for repairs not completed at the
time of the total loss.
“Constructive total loss” means a loss where the
cost to repair damage to “your covered auto” will
exceed the agreed value of the vehicle when fully
repaired.
OUR RIGHT TO RECOVER PAYMENT
A. If we make payment under this policy and the
person to or for whom payment was made has
a right to recover damages from another we
shall be subrogated to that right. That person
shall do:
1. Whatever is necessary to enable us to
exercise our rights; and
2. Nothing after loss to prejudice our rights.
However, our rights in this paragraph (A.) do
not apply under Part D, against any person
using "your covered auto" with a reasonable
belief that that person is entitled to do so.
B. If we make a payment under this policy and
the person to or for whom payment is made
recovers damages from another, that person
shall:
1. Hold in trust for us the proceeds of the
recovery; and
2. Reimburse us to the extent of our
payment.
C. Our rights under Paragraph A. with respect to
1. The person or organization legally
responsible for damages, if we also insure
that person or organization for the same
loss or damages; or
2. Any “insured”.
D. Our rights under Paragraph A. with respect to
A person 21 years of age or older who:
1. sold, bartered, furnished or gave to, or
purchased for a person under the age of
21years alcoholic beverages that caused
the intoxication of that person; and
2. permitted the consumption of alcoholic
beverages that caused the intoxication of
the person under the age of 21.
This paragraph applies when the under age,
intoxicated person causes an injury, loss or
damage for which payment is made under this
policy.
E. With respect to Part D., we shall be entitled to
a recovery from the amount we receive under
Paragraph A. or B. only after the person has
been fully compensated for any applicable
deductible.
F. Our rights in Paragraphs A. and B. are subject
to any applicable limitations contained in the
Minnesota statutes.
ABANDONMENT
There can be no abandonment of "your insured
property" to us.
"Your insured property" means "your covered
auto", "spare parts" and/or personal effects.
POLICY PERIOD AND TERRITORY
A. This policy applies only to accidents and
losses which occur:
1. During the policy period as shown in the
Declarations; and
2. Within the policy territory.
B. The policy territory is:
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 12 of 13
1. The United States of America, its
territories or possessions; or
2. Canada.
This policy also applies to loss to, or accidents
involving, "your covered auto" while being
transported between their ports.
TERMINATION
Cancellation. This policy may be canceled during
the policy period as follows:
1. The named insured shown in the
Declarations may cancel by:
a. Returning this policy to us; or
b. Giving us advance written notice of
the date cancellation is to take effect.
2. We may cancel by:
a. Giving to the named insured shown in
in this policy at least 10 days notice.
(1) If cancellation is for nonpayment
of premium; or
(2) If this policy has been in effect
less than 60 days at the time
notice is given and this is not a
renewal or continuation policy; or
b. Giving to the named insured shown in
in this policy at least 30 days notice in
all other cases.
3. After this policy is in effect for 60 days, or
if this is a renewal or continuation policy,
we will cancel only:
a. For nonpayment of premium; or
b. If your driver’s license or that of any
driver who is not a named insured
under any other policy; and who:
(1) Lives with you; or
(2) Customarily uses “your covered
auto”;
has been suspended or revoked as
the result of a moving traffic violation
or because the driver refused to be
tested under the implied consent law,
Section 169.121, subdivision 1,
paragraph (a). This must have
occurred:
(1) During the policy period; or
(2) Since the last anniversary of the
original effective date if the policy
period is other than 1 year; or
c. If the policy was obtained through
material misrepresentation.
Nonrenewal. If we decide not to renew or
continue this policy, we will (subject to the
provisions of the laws of the State of
Minnesota) mail notice to the named
insured shown in the Declarations at the
address shown in this policy. The named
insured will be provided with a minimum
of60 days advanced notice of our intention
not to renew or continue this policy . If the
policy period is:
1. Less than 6 months, we will have the
right not to renew or continue this
policy every 6 months, beginning
6 months after its original effective
date.
2. 1 year or longer, we will have the right
not to renew or continue this policy at
each anniversary of its original
effective date.
However, even if we fail to comply with the
above paragraph, this policy will
terminate:
1. At the end of the current policy period,
if:
a. You fail to pay the required
renewal/continuation premium
when due; or
b. We offer to renew or continue and
you or your representative do not
accept.
2. On the effective date of any other auto
insurance policy you obtain for “your covered
auto” designated in both policies.
D. Other Termination Provisions.
1. We may deliver any notice instead of
mailing it. Proof of mailing of any notice
shall be sufficient proof of notice.
2. If this policy is canceled, you may be
entitled to a premium refund. The
premium refund, if any, will be computed
according to our manual.
3. The effective date of cancellation stated in
the notice shall become the end of the
policy period.
AC 00 03 09 14
with its permission
AC 00 03 09 14 Page 13 of 13
OTHER INSURANCE POLICIES
This policy provides coverage for your "antique
vehicle" and/or "classic vehicle" and applies only
to the vehicle(s) shown in the Declarations. Any
other vehicles you own should be insured by a
separate policy. In no event will this policy provide
coverage for any vehicles other than those shown
in the Declarations, or which are added to this
policy by endorsement. However, any insurance
we provide with respect to a “temporary loaned
vehicle” shall be excess over any other collectible
insurance.
TRANSFER OF YOUR INTEREST IN THIS
POLICY
A. Your rights and duties under this policy may
not be assigned without our written consent.
However, if a “named insured" shown in the
Declarations dies, coverage will be provided
for:
1. The surviving spouse if a resident in the
same household at the time of death.
Coverage applies to the spouse as though
a "named insured" shown in the
Declarations; and
2. The legal representative of the deceased
person as though a "named insured"
shown in the Declarations. This applies
only with respect to the representative's
legal responsibility to maintain or use
"your covered auto".
B. Coverage will only be provided until the end of
the policy period.
TWO OR MORE AUTO POLICIES
If this policy and any other auto insurance policy
issued to you by us apply to the same accident,
the maximum limit of our liability under all the
policies shall not exceed the highest applicable
limit of liability under any one policy.
STATE LAW
Any part of this policy that conflicts with state law
is automatically changed to conform to the law.

AC 200 MN 05 18
AC 200 MN 05 18 Page 1 of 5
PLEASE READ THIS ENDORSEMENT CAREFULLY AS IT CHANGES YOUR POLICY

COMPETITION EXCLUSION – MINNESOTA
The following amendments change the policy. Please read your entire policy for full details about your
coverages.
DEFINITIONS
Under the Definitions provision, the following definitions are added:
“Minimum limits” means the following limits of liability, as required by Minnesota law, to be provided
under a policy of automobile liability insurance:
a. $30,000 for each person, subject to $60,000 for each accident, with respect to “bodily injury”;
and
b. $10,000 for each accident with respect to “property damage”.
“Paddock” means the area at the race course where racing vehicles are parked. It does not include any
pit area, or the track/course or its entrance or exit lanes.
PART A- LIABILITY COVERAGE
We do not provide Liability Coverage for any “insured”:
time measuring device.
b. Using “your covered auto” at a:
1. Racing facility; or
c. Using “your covered auto” to prepare, practice or qualify for, or participate in, any of the following
activities, regardless of where they take place:
AC 200 MN 05 18
AC 200 MN 05 18 Page 2 of 5
cause injury or damage.
This exclusion does not apply to rallies held in whole or in part on public roads to the extent that the
limits of liability for this coverage do not exceed the “minimum limits” of liability.
PART B- MEDICAL PAYMENTS COVERAGE
Under the Exclusions provision, Exclusion 9. is replaced by the following:
We do not provide Medical Payments Coverage for any “insured” for “bodily injury”:
Sustained while “occupying” “your covered auto” when it is:
time measuring device.
b. Being used at a:
1. Racing facility; or
cause injury or damage.
AC 200 MN 05 18
AC 200 MN 05 18 Page 3 of 5
PART C - UNINSURED AND UNDERINSURED MOTORISTS COVERAGE
Under the Exclusions provision, Exclusion B.5. is replaced by the following:
We do not provide Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists Coverage for “bodily injury” sustained by any
“insured” while “occupying” “your covered auto” when it is:
1. Preparation for a race of this type, but only while any pit area on the track or racecourse or its
time measuring device.
b. Being used at a:
1. Racing facility; or
cause injury or damage.
This exclusion does not apply to rallies held in whole or in part on public roads to the extent that
the limits of liability for this coverage do not exceed the “minimum limits” of liability.
AC 200 MN 05 18
AC 200 MN 05 18 Page 4 of 5
PART D-COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR COVERED AUTO
Under the Exclusions provision, Exclusion 12. is replaced by the following:
We will not pay for:
Loss caused by or resulting from “your covered auto” being:
time measuring device.
b. Being used at a:
1. Racing facility; or
cause injury or damage.
PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION COVERAGE
We do not provide Personal Injury Protection Coverage for “bodily injury” sustained by any “insured”:
1. Preparation for a race of this type, but

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/21/21 09:57 AM

No matter what anybody, including the agent or an adjuster or me, tells you, the written terms of the policy prevail.

That's not entirely correct. After a loss occurs, what anyone from the insurer tells you likely will not override what the policy says. However, if you call/email to ask for clarification of coverage, and you are given incorrect information regarding something being covered when it is actually not covered per the policy, the insurer will almost certainly be bound to provide coverage if that circumstance occurs later. You need to be able to prove it, which is why the insurer recording the call (most do) and/or getting it in writing via paper document or email is crucial. The insurer is the expert, not the consumer. If they make an error regarding coverage, coverage MUST be determined in favor of the insured. It's that way in all 50 states.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/21/21 10:33 PM

TL;DR whistling
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/22/21 12:09 AM

I had no issues with State Farm anytime my vehicles have had insurance claims, they have collector car insurance also. I guess I should read my policy though after reading this thread. My garage fire had only one issue, what they would pay me for my car as I had it on Comp which cost $16/year. They sent me an offer which I rejected outright, then sent them a list of comps and they gave me a decent offer. On my wife's car, which she had an agreed policy of $12,500 is what they gave her. I had asked her a couple years before if she had reviewed it and upped her policy but she never did, her car was worth around $20-25K at the time. I will NEVER have any insurance company other than State Farm no matter how much it costs... twocents

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/22/21 12:18 AM

My experience with State Farm wasn't so good. I was injured in a crash and needed ongoing medical care. They paid at first, but then sent me to a quack to evaluate me. The guy never touched me, never Xrayed, never did anything, except check my reflexes by hitting my knee with a hammer. Seriously, that was the entire medical exam. Then he wrote a letter saying that I was all healed and needed no further care, so they cut me off. They were wrong, but since I had good medical coverage at the time, and they my only recourse was to sue them, I let it drop. But it was a scam. Those chose that quack, because he knew who was paying him. I dropped SF, and won't go back, ever.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/22/21 01:00 AM

Dealing with car insurance claims are a challenge...
My experience with SF was a total disaster..
For my case,1 of their policy holders crashed into the back of me doing 50MPH pushing me into a brand new $150K Mercedes. The SF policy holder was cited for Reckless Driving, then the drama started I expected SF to cover my physical therapy and pay me promptly a fair price for my totaled truck. After receiving little response by SF I hired an attorney and it went downhill after that. To summarize it took 12 months to settle the property damage to my totaled truck and another 18 months to receive payment for my medical bills. Each step and communicating with SF for payment was a pain, they were very difficult to deal with. I was very fair and patient with SF and originally only asked for fair market value for my truck and for SF to cover 100% my medical bills. But after their continual stalling and dickering, we finally settled that cost them $75K more than what I had originally expected to receive. In my opinion a lot of the relationship and communications are based upon the attitude for the assigned claim manager, and in my case they were very stubborn....

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/22/21 02:05 AM

I had all my cars with state farm and am slowly moving away from them. Service has gone down hill after the Canadian side was taken over by others.
I had an accident a few years ago in a flash ice storm and the claims adjuster essentially screwed up and sent a check for thousands less then the agreed upon price then tried to cover her tracks She dragged it on for weeks before I was finally able to get in touch with a manager and it was resolved pretty quickly.
Then another policy skyrocketed. You could even see checking thru the policies when the screw up took place. They took the reimbursement for not having full coverage on a vehicle for 6 months and added it on top of the annual policy price the following year. They admitted there was a problem and the price was too high yet at the same time used every excuse they could think of to explain it. That was the first policy I cancelled and moved on to another company.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/22/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by 5thAve

I had an accident a few years ago in a flash ice storm and the claims adjuster essentially screwed up and sent a check for thousands less then the agreed upon price then tried to cover her tracks She dragged it on for weeks

As a contractor who deals with insurance claims as part of my livelihood, I can tell you it wasn't a screw up. They do that on purpose. Non-stop games to wear you down. If 50% of clients roll over and take the low amount, the insurance company saves millions per year.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/22/21 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by 5thAve

I had an accident a few years ago in a flash ice storm and the claims adjuster essentially screwed up and sent a check for thousands less then the agreed upon price then tried to cover her tracks She dragged it on for weeks

As a contractor who deals with insurance claims as part of my livelihood, I can tell you it wasn't a screw up. They do that on purpose. Non-stop games to wear you down. If 50% of clients roll over and take the low amount, the insurance company saves millions per year.

Grisham's "The Rainmaker" (book and movie) wasn't just fiction...
Posted By: TJP

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/23/21 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I had no issues with State Farm anytime my vehicles have had insurance claims, they have collector car insurance also. I guess I should read my policy though after reading this thread. My garage fire had only one issue, what they would pay me for my car as I had it on Comp which cost $16/year. They sent me an offer which I rejected outright, then sent them a list of comps and they gave me a decent offer. On my wife's car, which she had an agreed policy of $12,500 is what they gave her. I had asked her a couple years before if she had reviewed it and upped her policy but she never did, her car was worth around $20-25K at the time. I will NEVER have any insurance company other than State Farm no matter how much it costs... twocents

You sir are the first i have heard that had positive dealings with them. Every experience I and friends have had with SF have been :a nightmare twocents beer
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/23/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by TJP

You sir are the first i have heard that had positive dealings with them. Every experience I and friends have had with SF have been :a nightmare twocents beer

I am dropping State Farm. I recently had some damage done to my car due an idiot (long story) and State Farm would not pay for all of it. I had to pay out of pocket for half of it. Full collectors car insurance. They said it falls under comprehension and still would not pay for all of it. As soon as my claim is done, I'm going with Hagerty. Even the body shop said State Farm sucks.

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/23/21 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by TJP

They’ve treated me well over the years, maybe they only are good to Illinois folks since this is their home state?
From a nightmare sewer failure in the 90s at my house, where the plumber told me I was lucky to have State Farm as they where the last insurance company honoring that type of claim (they too stopped not long after, in under the wire!) to calling damage to my car when I drove through a debris cloud when a truck blew up in front of me on the highway a few years ago comprehensive, where my deductible is $100 instead of collision, where it’s $1000, or another comp claim in 2019 where some dingleberry’s wayward golf ball hit the top of my Challengers fender and made a hard to fix dent (a year after another jerks golf ball hit its door and I paid a PDR place out of pocket to fix, and yet another golf ball that damaged a windshield a few years before that State Farm paid to replace). Yes I’ve come to hate golfers!
Maybe I’m just unlucky with golf balls but lucky with insurance.
Posted By: procharged 484

Re: Classic car insurance - 02/28/21 06:05 AM

State farm has treated me veerry well . Had a water heater explode while I was gone for week end and steamed my whole garage with my newly dynoed hemi , they paid for new rebuild and all my electronics and tools . Happy happy
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Classic car insurance - 03/01/21 12:53 PM

I put my barracuda on the road 2 years ago. Cheapest insurance I could find was Hagerty going thru Nationwide. Was $160ish a year for $15K coverage. Last year it changed and wasn't thru Nationwide anymore but was still with Hagerty, but increased to $183. This year it jumped to $211. I had State Farm (This is who I have all my other vehicles thru) give me a quote when I wanted to put the car on the road and they wanted it appraised and a whole bunch of other bs and gave me a quote of like $400 a year. I drive the car MAYBE 500 miles a year. I contacted State Farm again this year and only need to submit photos of the car since I already have it insured thru another company, don't have to have it appraised, etc. They quoted me $160 a year with a little more coverage than I currently have. Since I really don't drive the car much I really just need to be covered encase something happens when I'm out and about so I shop for the cheapest I can get pretty much. I'll be switching to State Farm for this year.

Re: Classic car insurance - 03/01/21 06:31 PM

Are you sure SF is giving you Agreed Value coverage, and not Stated Value/Stated Amount?
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Classic car insurance - 03/01/21 11:21 PM

I'm not sure State Farm subscribes to the theory of "Agreed Value Coverage" but rather "Stated value" as mentioned by not_a_charger.....
at least they didn't when I dropped them about 6 years ago and went with Hagerty who do.

Re: Classic car insurance - 03/01/21 11:55 PM

They do write Agreed Value, but not in all states.
© 2024 Moparts Forums