I'll get flak for this, but in my opinion, maybe a handful or less ov the above cars could be called true sleepers. Maybe i'm just a good spotter, but i can spot most 'sleepers' a mile away. The unmistakable sound ov a 450HP engine trying to blow the baffles out ov a 300HP exhaust system are usually the first clue.

True sleepers just cant be NHRA legal, its as simple as that. Unless we are talking about 13 second cars that look like 20 second cars. Kinda hard to hide that rollbar, or worse, the roll cage. The F.A.S.T. cars are the exception. There are some true works ov art in that class. I've never heard one in person, but if they sound anything like stock, i'd race one.

I had a 73 4DR beige Dart that qualified as a sleeper; solid (but bone stock) 440, tight 727, 8 1/4" with 3.9 SG, 14's (ugh...), 2" duals, quiet as a stock 318, plaid interior, white vinyl roof, no gauges... no matter how you looked at it, with the hood closed, it looked and sounded like grampa's car. I dont know how it did it, but that car would hook, all the power ov that 440 threw that car off the line like no car i've had before. I didn't build the car and unfortunately i broke it before i could put the real sleeper tune into it... but that car was fast. I wish i had pictures ov it aside from a few polaroids. The potential it had...

A friend ov mine is always arguing with me about sleepers. He likes Fairmonts, pick-up trucks, 4drs, etc. He always said you absolutely cannot build a sleeper out ov a musclecar. I disagreed. He was adamant until one day at the track we saw this hot looking little red Mustang, a 67-8 fastback. All stock with street bigs and littles, two gauges, 2 1/2" tails, no bar/racing belts/cutoff switch, etc. very simple, tight looking little cruiser. At best a 12 second car, but looked like most 14-16 second enthusiast Mustangs with the 'weekend slicks' installed...

Then it ripped off a perfect mid nine-second pass. Wasn't even loud... through the mufflers. Everyone watching just 'mouthed what the fu-----'

THAT... was a sleeper. And yes, he got tossed off the track right then and there. First and only pass. Dont come back!

Hahahahah I love sleepers. But they belong on the street!