Another guy that doesn't get much credit is Paul Frost - Billy Stepp's crew chief. In 71 Stepp's cars started going fast. I seem to remember reading that Tom Hoover called Frost one of the top three Hemi engine builders in the country at the time. That's quite a compliment coming from Mr Hoover. I am pretty sure that Paul pioneered the P/S dry sump oiling system. I know that Jenkins was NOT the first although he is often credited with it, the Stepp cars also did some of the initial Lenco testing in a P/S. I love the story of Indy 71 - Stewart McDade driving for Stepp ran quicker that S&M in qualifying - so Buddy protested the car - while the car was in teardown all day S&M got their Cuda faster than Stepp. so as was the rule Step got the protest money - he promptly threw it back at Buddy saying something like " I don't need your money"! Well both cars ended up in the final - McDade outran Sox but Ronnie beat him at the tree. Stepp's cars often were low qualifiers or #2 but often went out with breakage. I don't think they ever won a major event but Paul was an innovator - unfortunately sometimes at the cost of consistancy.
Mark J