Originally Posted By RAMM
Originally Posted By 1mean340
Hey guys, still trying to knock out some of the issues with my procharged 340 before spring.

This a new motor (maybe 1500 miles) with total seal gapless rings. [b][/b]I really don't think I have been burning a significant amount of oil either, but it has been hard to say Also what are your guesses on what may be causing the wet piston tops?

Look I'm only going to say this once because most people using these rings and there are many,will not want to hear this.

It's your rings. They are probably not washed out or glazed or whatever. It is the gapless design that causes the abnormal oil consumption under high vacuum conditions. Most people in general do not like feeling embarrassed and this applies to car guys that shell out big $$$$ on the trick of the week. When the trick of the week is a dud, NOBODY wants to admit they have been had. I have been down this road with those stupid , expensive rings three times personally and several more as a third party.

OP please dingle ball hone your cylinders if they are straight and round and install a conventional gap ring. All of your oil consumption problems will go away and your tune up will more than likely come around (coincidence? not likely) My favourites are Hastings, Sealed Power, Mahle (PC), Grant etc...

I could write a chapter on my experience with rings with documentation (proof) , compression tests, leak down tests, dyno tests and REAL world driving and use.

Before certain ostriches jump on me--Yes I know how to hone a cylinder and file rings to the correct gap. I've never and I mean NEVER built or machined an engine that consumed abnormal (copius) amounts of oil UNTIL I tried THOSE rings. I was dumb enough to try them three times (see afore mentioned ostrich syndrome) which in my books is a fair shot. Never again.

Oh you can call them and tell them and they will tell you its the oil youre using, its your honing, its the pistons, its the crank causing to much piston rock ('cuz no ones ever built a stroker that didn't burn too much oil-lol), its too much windage, its Trump's fault < OK that last one I made up. I even had a certain SALESMAN there tell me his new GM truck used a quart a week and when he complained the service rep told him it was completely normal and to piss off. Sorry I cannot and will not tell my customer that. Sorry for the long post but it is your rings--I'd put a large sum of $$$ on it. Pile on. J.Rob

Thanks RAMM and to all others who replied. It definitely sounds like you are right. I'm going to check a few more things first, I want to do the leak down test hot just to check (cold everything looked good, but I know that's no way to do a leak down test).

The only thing I am wondering though if maybe it isn't oil and it's just wet carbon. I'll figure that out quickly with a q tip sent down there though, it was hard to tell on my somewhat crappy borescope, I just assumed it wasn't carbon because the motor only has 800 miles on it, I didn't think it could build up so much so fast.

I just thought it was weird because the the plugs never showed any signs of serious oil issues. One or two had a slight black glaze to them (but no ash), mostly they were just a sooted with fuel. Not terribly sooty, just definitely on the rich side. Under most driving conditions the car never ran rich, it's not like the car was dumping fuel all the time. It only had a weird load up problem after coming to a stop which would cause it to buck and stumble bad when trying to get moving again. If I let it idle for a few seconds before getting going again the AFR would normalize and then it would accelerate great. It would also get lean tip ins going into WOT causing it to overcorrect rich and then correct out of it again. This would happen briefly at the gear changes too. It wasn't as if it was dumping fuel all the time, but there were definitely times where it would stumble from dumping fuel.

I know it is probably the rings, but I figure it can't hurt just trying to smooth out the tune on gas, do a leak down test and maybe drive it a bit out of boost to see if the pistons clean up? I'm not going to get into boost if they don't, but as a last resort I figure I could try this.

I'll be honest, if I pull this motor out I'm probably not going to want to put it back in LOL Been wanting to go late hemi ever since I started this and realized I boogered my old, simple, reliable setup all up with FITECH and the procharger lol

Last edited by 1mean340; 12/15/18 03:10 PM.