Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
The last time I base/cleared an engine compartment was at least 10 years ago and no wet sanding or polishing was needed. It's not necessary with todays materials is it? Can't you spray the whole shell at once and just polish the exterior?

Sheldon

Agreed,....I started painting in the mid to late later 70's, I've done it all; by trade or hobby/sideline, pinstriping, flames, air brush, lace, murals, sprayed flake, candies, pearls, metallic, lacquer, enamels, polyurethanes,etc, etc, along with countless restoration, collision repaints, panel blending, etc, etc...so after 4 decades I think I know a little about "painting"

The "trend" to paint the underhood/compartment, door jambs/trunk/etc in single stage, then finish the body in 2 stage started around the mid to late 80's when 2 stage started to make an appearance on the market, by the early 90's as 2 stage became more accepted, so did this practice, surprisingly even still accepted...This started out as a cheap alternative, "why waste 2 stage under the hood/jambs/trunk/etc, when single stage was cheaper, no ones going to see it", I never catered to this practice, whatever type of paint that was going on the body, was going on the jambs/engine room/trunk/etc (Brand X excluded)

This practice has carried over thru the decades, some have no clue as to why, it's just "what everyone else does"...It might look good when fresh (to an amateur)but as it ages, it just screams cheap amateur paint work...

As far as GYC, as I've said before their work borders on 2nd or 3rd rate bodyshop quality when seen in person, TV editing has too many smoke and mirrors obscuring the viewers eyes and minds with the steady flow of BS and drivel to be of any real world value, hence this tread