Happy New Year everyone. To update you fellows, here is what I have done and the results.

I replaced the spark plugs with new.

Re-torqued every bolt I could find. Carb, intake, exhaust, everything.

Sprayed starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks - non found.

Set the ditributor rotor w/ #1 @ TDC.

Turned the key and she started right up.

I waited as the the motor warmed. Gauges were calm and steady. The Motor didn't breakdown as it did before at all.

Set the idle to 1000rpm and she idled well.

I took it out for a run around the block, stopping to adjust the distributor ever so slightly.

She ran as she did when I first fired it up. Oil pressure good, temperature good, charging system good. All was right with the world again.

BUT

I noticed when I would start the car (which I did many times over the course of the 5-6 miles) the key wouldn't "jump" back from the start position. I wanted to stay in the crank position.
This was a first.

When I got it home, I turned it off, let it cool down,jacked it up the rear, and set it on jackstands to tighten some leaky exhaust clamps, lowered the car, and when I tried to start it again.

Nothing. No cranking. dead as a doornail.

The dome light which moments ago shone bright when the car was off is now very dim.

I took a screwdriver and crossed the two terminals on the starter replay and it cranked to beat the band.

Fuses all good. Wiggled wires.

Opened the door...bright dome light...key in buzzer sounding off...put in the key...turned it...dome light when dim...key in buzzer stopped.

Question:
Could all of these problems with the poor performance be an electrical issue (Ignition switch?) and not (or never has been)a mechanical issue?
the steering colum was rebuilt my SMS years ago and recently installed as were the other components we have already discussed.

Still perplexed in Ashburn, Virginia.