Quote:

Did you make sure that the ECU is grounded to good clean metal and not screwed down to painted metal.
Check your oil pressure with a good mechanical gauge.
Yes a misfiring engine can run hot.
You said you fired it up again in one of your later posts - How did it run?
What are you running for rocker arms? If adjustable how did you adjust them? Just a thought but if adjustable they could be adjusted too tight and when the lifter pumps up they are holding the valves open. [/quote

When it bolted the ECU to the fender I DID NOT scrape the paint to expose bare metal. I bolted it directly to the fender, right on top of the paint.

In answer to the question about when I fired it up to warm the motor to check the compression, if I set the idle screw @ around 1500 - 2000 rpms, initially, when still cold, it runs without problems. Very fast but no stumbling.

As it warms up, the engine begins to stumble. If I turn the idle screw back to the 1200 rpms (idle recommended by the cam shaft people) it bounces from smooth to erratic back to smooth.
If I leave it @ 1200 rpms, after a few minutes, it rocks back and forth struggling to run, the light in the cabin flickers, the gauge needles (temp, tach, oil, and amp)shutter slightly in an erratic motion and the motor simply dies out.

If I turn the rpms back up to 2000 before it dies, it will run but stumble.
AT high rpms, the gauge needles return to a calm posture until it stumbles at which time they flinch.

If the ECU is improperly grounded, as I'm now sure it is since I bolted it on w/o prepping the mounting surface correctly, that poor grounding could interrupt the signal, thus resulting in the erractic idle.