Quote:

Quote:

Front segment stiffer = better......period. The stiffer the better. There is no instance where some spring wrap is good.

Monte

I agree that stiffer is better, but disagree that there are No instances where some spring wrap/flex is good.

The Caltrac design/science has this flex and minimized spring wrap feature. When they could of easily come up with a Solid front segment design IMO.

SSM bars for the Mopars make the front segment 99% solid IMO I know Ive had them and tried them.

When I tried them on my A body 20" front segment, with 500# of torque, it made the front segment rotation to violent, with no real amount of spring wrap.

Granted, I didn't go to the extra effort of trying to control this with a stiffer shock.

I just want to point out that the Caltrac Science, does have some flex/spring wrap built in, When they, like I said, could of removed that flex/wrap up and made them solid with a design more like SSM bars.

I don't even think SSM makes their bars for mopars anymore. They still do for Fords and chevys though. Not arguing here, just talking

Is a ladder bar too stiff........is a 4-link too stiff........answer NO. All these traction devices are basically an attempt to make the leaf spring act like a short ladder bar........BUT, the stiffer you make it AND the more power you hit it with, the BETTER shock you need to control the housing. ANY and I repeat ANY force that is not directly applying power to your tires to move the car forward is wasted motion. Just because your car became too violent when making the segment really stiff, does NOT mean it was wrong. It just means you didn't control it.

As far as EASY to make a front segment 100% solid..........sorry but that is NOT easy to do, aside from completely removing the front spring segment itself and replacing it with tubing or something similar, which is NOT legal in any class of racing that requires the car to have it's stock type suspension.......

....We tried something years ago that involved replacing the front segment with a piece of .250 wall 2x3 rectangular tubing lying flat and a mono rear segment to hold the car up and still "CALL" it a leaf spring. It quickly buckled even the .250 wall tubing. The next plan was to "stand" the tubing up, but the rules makers nixed the idea quickly anyway. Said we were in a "grey area" of the rules, but they quickly rewrote them to make it crystal clear.....LOL.

Next idea, build a super stiff front spring pack, run "Assassin" bars with NO rear leaf and install coilovers. Worked well......then they nixed that idea as well and the rules got even MORE clear on what was and was NOT legal.........LOL!!!

The point here..... not new to trying to make leafs work, but one thing I do know, is that in my own experience, we NEVER got anything TOO stiff.

Monte