Quote:

There must be a little more to it than simply stopping the housing from rotating.....

I made new rear mounts for my Caltracs that added 2.5" more "arm" to them - and dropped my 60' numbers by 2 tenths without changing anything else. I'll let some experts tell us why it worked - because I'm one of those "try it and see" kind of guys. I don't necessarily HAVE TO understand all of the science behind it. I try it anyway.

It's not exactly about stopping the housing from rotating, it timing the energy from the housing rotation, to apply it to the tire when you need it.

When you added length, you did two things. You lowered the pressure on the caltrac bar because you changed the ratio's between the axle arm and the front caltrac pivot arm. But you also accelerated how long it took for the front spring segment to go solid. 1 degree of axle movement resulted in more horizontal cal track bar movement, which made the front bracket rotate quicker. This is the same principal as putting the caltrac in the top hole (changes the pressure on the spring), or adding preload (changes the time before the front spring segment goes solid).

My guess is the reason that this worked on your truck is because you needed to keep the front spring segment a little softer because the shocks you have couldn't control the "hit" on the tire. I have no idea where the IC is on your truck either, so that may have something to do with it since it's a little "out of the norm" compared to other stuff.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with a "Try and See" approach. It's how most drag racers have been going faster and faster every weekend for years. I am fortunate enough to understand a little more science behind it, so I just try and share it in an easy to understand explanation.