keyed on 12 v source (switched 12V) would be the blue wire coming from the bulkhead. You would also tie the brown ign 2 "crank" wire to the blue wire so the HEI and the coil get fed full 12v in start and in run. In '83 I ran an OE electronic dist with an HEI module from a '75 chebby and an accell super coil the big yellow beast with no ballast. it started instantly & ran Ok afaik. Accell later told me to run a .8 or .7 (dont remember which) ballast with it but it did not burn out & you always have alot of leeway on how much ballast you can get by with. Dont forget the heat sink paste between module/alum block. Holler how it runs out. You know I'm wondering if one of your hard components is borderline & the slight voltage drop is just enough to make it non functioning (wont start). I would never suggest shotgunning parts at a problem but if you have parts (I have tons & tons) you might sub in another coil then another ECU then the pickup cuz it's the hardest to change & your gap is good correct? (.008")

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth