Quote:

This reeks of something electrical to me. When I first read it I was thinking valvetrain but now I don't think so. If you can find another ignition switch and plug it in under the dash I would try it. Something about the voltage drop and dome light dimming has me thinking its either ignition or dash wiring related. Was there any dash cluster-switch wiring that looked a little hinky when you put it together? Someone here will know something. There is a ton of experience around.

I'm curious if the popping is caused by the voltage drop, or if the voltage drop is caused by the popping. I'm thinking maybe something is causing an intermittent voltage drop as i bring the rpms up, which is causing some ignition demons...

All the dash wiring looked fine when I was in there last year. I did replace the ammeter with a volt gauge. I've also done the ammeter bypass the have installed relays in the front headlights. I have a couple lose pins in the dash circuit board that I need to repair. But I was waiting until I fix this popping issue before I do that.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the ideas. Keep em coming.