Quote:

While attending local bracket races,I talked to a couple of different drivers that have cars that are quite capable of running mid to upper 9.xxs. They have slowed down to run 10.10s or so and couldn't be happier. I believe the reasoning is they no longer have to do all of the crap that is required by the NHRA 9.99 and faster rules. On the other hand,I see the same cars running Sportsman(12.0 and slower) year after year. And a lot of these cars are a lot faster than 12.0! Sandbaggers!!! This really discourages the people that are new to the sport watching the same cars win week after week...Discuss??

Slowing down from 9.90 to run 10's and not deal with the headache makes sense to me.
On the question of 'sandbagging' - to me, it depends how they are sandbagging. If they took timing out of the car, mechanically adjusted a mechanical secondary throttle stop prior to the race, or did it all with their foot, or via some other non electronic or pneumatic/hydraulic means, I might be more ok with it, than if it were done purely with say a pneumatic throttle stop under the carb, or they dialed it in via their ECU. Technically speaking most of the Super class cars do exactly what you are describing - they are built to run 1 - 2 seconds under the index and then slowed down/stopped to run the number.
I know it takes a certain amount of skill and know how to adjust throttle stops, electronic timers and such in Super class racing but I am more impressed if the guy can run the number without the electro-mechanical aids.
I also knew of a 12.0 bracket racer that if he had run a 4 barrel on the car it would have been in the low 11's, yet he chose to run a 4412 2 barrel. The car was very consistent with the 2 barrel. Was he sand bagging, or just building a savvy combo?
I'd also be interested in hearing from those who build an 8.0 motor and slow it down to go 10.0, rather than build a 10.0 motor and run it to the ragged edge of performance. Does the 8.0 motor live longer, require less maintenance, cost less in the long run?
And as far as those 12.0 sand baggers who could run a lot faster, and win a lot? I guess you see someone often enough in the winner circle ya get to not liking it...like John Force.. I know I feel that way.. No one said everyone eventually wins, and for those who get discouraged, well, that's just tough...pay your dues and learn ...