I hear what you're saying and it's pretty relative. When I said I planned to use this 422 in a van/truck, it will either be a (SWB Tradesman or SWB D100, both being early 1970's models). The van weighs in at 3,500 lbs. and the truck maybe around 200 lbs. less. Weight aside, the comparison is about equal to an A or E Body.

When you speak of Torque, I understand what you're saying. Torque is our friend especially in street driven vehicles. Proportionately, as TQ goes up, so does HP. When I mentioned that I envisioned the engine lasting 120k-150k miles, it was just a prediction based on the hone-job and the driving style I have. The block is already bored to it's limit, so I know there will not be another rebuild when it expires. If the heads move air and the short block can handle the load, the choice of cam plays a major role in both HP and TQ depending on the type of grind.

Thanks to another poster here, I discovered that it is possible to use a roller cam in Pre-Magnum A engines. The roller will be miles ahead of the flat-tappet in performance. Ramp speed, duration, lift, and overlap will all improve making cam selection less prohibitive especially when deciding on a cam that covers a wide range of characteristics that are good both for low and top end,idle and even fuel consumption. But I ramble. I'm looking for images with 2.08/1.60
combo to see how close the valves are.

Thanks for your input.

7457462-P7292216.JPG (49 downloads)