Quote:

The short block is currently being amassed, but it will have all new 4340 internals with Diamond forged flat tops and Total Seal Gapless Rings.

I'm pausing with cam selection because people have said they have used Roller Cams in A (Pre-Magnum)engines. To my knowledge, a roller lifter link-bar will not clear the block due to the A engine's 59* lifter angle. Although the magazines have published stories claiming the marriage of this combination, I have yet to see close-up pictures and hear explanations regarding the modifications involved to create this. Assuming that much effort is required to fit the link-bars, and not knowing that other people have successfully acconplished this themselves without tapping into water-jackets, I'm inclined at the present to investigate a Hughes Solid Flat-Tappet, slightly longer in duration and under .550 lift using the Chrysler 1.5 RR, suitable with Power Brakes.

The '73 340 block has been sonic-checked and magnafluxed,line-honed,torque-plate honed using 520 finishing stones and the bolts are new MP factory replacements. Surfacing the deck will most likely have no more than .010" taken off. CR is aimed around 10:1 to run pump gas and I'm planning to have a few thousandths Compression Distance to accomodate a closed-chamber cylinder head measuring anywhere between 63cc and 70 cc.

Elsewhere, the oiling system will be modified to flow through the lifters/pushrods. A bigger pan, HV pump, 360* fully-grooved main bearings, Big bottom-feed style pickup and other related mods to safeguard better than OEM oil distribution.

So far, I'd say this will be a solid short-block. I don't know how this engine by design will stand up to the occasional rigors of abuse, but I'm hoping my machining and choice of parts will allow the engine to run a solid 120,000 - 150,000 mainly street-driven miles before it expires.

Depending on choice of Head and Cam, 520-550 Gross HP
would be a hopefull estimate for such a build.

My build has the roller lifters that drop in - and several head tests.

the biggest thing I would change with your motor would be to tube the lifters for solid and to stud the mains.

430 Build