I didn’t have to go into work today, so here the findings and results of today’s efforts. Sorry for the long post, but this is what I have been waiting for.

I was curious, so I took out the plugs to take a look at them. I discovered 1) some idiot had not torqued them in properly (they were just snug), and 2) the gap was only .020, probably untouched right out of the box. I never checked them before, as they came with the heads from the junk yard.

I gapped them to .040 and threw them back in, properly torqued this time.

I rerouted the plug wires to ensure none were crossed.

I fixed the leaking tranny line and fitting (by far, the most un-fun part of the day) and filled it up. Absolutely no leaks found yet.

Started the motor: It ran a little smoother, but the idle remained fairly high, even with the idle screw completely out. Vacuum leak? I removed the carb and put ATV silicone sealer on the gaskets between the carb and the intake. Result = Problem solved.

Idle 700-800 RPM and vaccum reading of a steady 12 lbs. I definitely have more of a cam compared to my stocker! High idle (1500-2000 steady RPM = 16lbs of vacuum)

Now it was time for the maiden voyage. The car ran great and I was able to put my foot in it a couple of times (but no redline). I only went a couple of miles which included two very steep hills (to put pressure on the rings). The engine warms up quickly and does not overheat. Consistant temps.

1) The car runs smooth, but has a much more noticeable aggressive exhaust tone than before.

2) The car has about the same power as before, but it seems more “smooth” across the powerband (well, as much as I pushed it anyway. I didn’t want to rev the crap out of it quite yet)

3) With the old set up, the engine would “rattle” or “knock” on wide open acceleration. Now, those sounds are COMPLETELY gone with WOT when the engine is under load.

4) I was somewhat disappointed that there wasn’t a huge gain in power according to the “butt dyno”, but I have to remember the motor isn’t completely broken in yet. Also, I am comparing this to my big-block roadrunner which I have been driving for the last 6 weeks.

5) Also, I didn’t make any changes to the carburetor. I put it back on exactly as it was when I removed it from my old motor. I have been running it lean (to pass stupid emissions) and to help with mileage for our road-trips. I may have to fatten up the rods and jets now that I have more of a cam in there.

So far I am quite pleased at how everything has turned out. The only thing I have left is to put the stock hood back on. I will need to find a drop base for my air cleaner because I am sure it will not clear with my new intake. At least this is what I am seeing when “eyeballing it”.

Then….we will see if it actually passes emissions with all the changes.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I have learned a lot from all of this.

Eightlitermopar

Last edited by eightlitermopar; 05/18/13 09:40 PM.

Mopar or no car