Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Ebay / Craigslist / Marketplace / WIW
04/20/24 01:37 AM
Hi I am curious what a 71-72 Dodge Charger Buldge Hood with insert would be worth? Say like high end mint condition or low end with rusty spots? And if the model of the car would make a difference in price?
2 385 Read More
Moparts Question and Answer
04/20/24 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by Charger69RT8
I tried tuning this thing with that shot TQ on it and gave up. Once I get a carb on it that while not idle at 700 rpm with the primaries fully closed, (the throttle shaft leak is massive) I'll have a better chance at getting this little engine dialed in. Right now the idle is 700 to 1300 depending on how the primary shaft rotates back on let off.

HMMM, referring to the above bolded portion of your comment, Have you
1. Disconnected the throttle cable/ linkages and tested with your hand? try opening and gently letting it close as well as letting it SNAP shut.
2. Verified that the throttle arm is completely returning against the idle stop
3. Check and make sure your choke fast idle cam is not on its first step (or close to it) and completely disengaged.
4. Disconnected the vacuum advance and plug the carb port wink
5. Checked the timing to make sure it is returning to its initial setting and not "floating" down.

I would do all 5 steps one at a time without reverting. IE: do step 1, then 2, then 3, 4 & 5
I would hate to see you spend $$ on a carb to find the problem was elsewhere wink
Keep us posted wink
38 1,806 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/20/24 01:15 AM
Always had a snap on or coats,in 2020 my last snap on was getting tired needing about 1200 in repairs,getting ready to retire in a few years,I done my homework & decited to buy a weaver tire machine. It workes as good as any&I change about 500 tires a year.I only paid $2600 compared to 10,000 for a snap on,equipped the same.I have no problems so far.
13 767 Read More
Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech
04/20/24 01:05 AM
Just a little humor
49 4,806 Read More
04/20/24 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by toast253
Ahh, gotcha now, thank you
up beer
21 1,277 Read More
04/20/24 12:53 AM
[quote=blue_stocker. Contact Rob Youngblood (owner) for help, he's good! [/quote] I'm glad to hear that he is still with us up bow grin
7 542 Read More
04/20/24 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by dvw
First off let me state God was watching over me. Pulled the trans in my racecar for freshening. Started reinstalling the trans. Rotating the crank to install the 3rd converter bolt, crank stops, dead. Won't move either way more than 2-3 degrees. Don't want to force it backward with the Jessel belt. Pull the dist and oil drive, pump spins, losen the alternator (brand new) and vacuum pump belts, nope. Pull all the rockers and pushrods. All look great. Lifters can be pulled up with a piece of tig rod. Now the crank will rotate counter clockwise about 300 degrees and then, stops dead. Pull the trans back out to make sure something didn't hang up in the flexplate. I mean it was fine when the crank was rotated to pull the trans, right? Found nothing. Tried a bore camera saw nothing. Rreinstall the trans and pull the pan. Everything looks good. Pistons # 4 &# 7 won't clear TDC about 30 degrees either side. Take a guess at #4 1st. Pull the header. Pull the exh valve spring and replace with a checking spring. Try the camera and see nothing. I'm lost. Decide to pull the passenger head. Pull the intake. One last gasp. Pull the intake valve spring and swap with checking spring. Push the valve open. What do I see. A undamaged 5/16" nylock nut setting on the piston below the exhaust valve. Where did that come from? Only thing I can think of is when the accumulator was relocated during the alternator upgrade. It's the only item thats been removed that uses that nut. Engine had been started several times to check the alternator. Then moved into the hoist bay. Then started again after the oil change. I really hadn't cracked the throttle far until then. No marks on th episton. Cylinder leaks 5% cold. Not all a total loss of time. The screen windage tray was cracked again. So thats not going back. I'll fab a baffle above the pick up. The intake gaskets are climbing the head, again. So I'll replace them as well. First race is in 2 weeks.
Doug

I'm not sure if God loves you or if he was giving you a test on this deal whistling work grin shruggy
13 1,169 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/20/24 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
This will be in the unmoderated forum no later than tomorrow afternoon. And I'm probably being generous with that estimate.

thank you for not moving it immediately. I am hoping that we can be adults and spread the word rather than ranting about it wink beer

I'm certainly open to being pleasantly surprised.
25 1,738 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/20/24 12:35 AM
I have one of the first Mark Donohue Javelin's made that Penske purchased and leased to Sunoco.
25 1,451 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/20/24 12:29 AM
Starter shim gap is set by sliding the allen wrench that comes with a new starter between the flex plate teeth, and the starter gear shaft on the flat parts of the wrench with the starter torqued to spec. Many people don't do this, or don't understand how to so they skip it only to get bit by it later. The starter should not make any strange sounds if the gap is set properly. You may have to cut shims in half to get where you need to be. Some instructions will show what the incorrect gaps look like, and on which side of the starter the shims need to go if it comes down to doing the half shim thing.
29 1,178 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/20/24 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
No idea if it's still there or even if it's what I was told but a little over 20 yrs. ago I spotted a '70 Coronet 'vert under a tarp in a side yard.Tarp was in sad shape and falling through the top frame. Taillights were visible through the tarp also. Mentioned it to a friend who lived close to it and was told it was a 440-6, 4 spd. R/T and could not be bought for any price. IIRC, it was either V2 or K2. I've always wanted to go back through there but never have.
EDIT: This was just south of Jackson, GA if this car rings a bell with anyone.

You never know. You might just go back and the timing may be right to buy the car. It's happened to me before. If it is a 440-6 convert, especially in a great color, it could be a home run!
52 6,908 Read More
04/20/24 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
So, no recommendation that fits with the O.P.'s needs, but plenty of attempts at insults.

Typical.

The reason you earned your title is that I already, in my first post in this thread, recommended the 1406.

You twist more than a worm in hot ashes there, sniper troll.

"all one has to do is look at the title below your name to get your number."

That post is the one I responded to when I said; "So, no recommendation that fits with the O.P.'s needs, but plenty of attempts at insults.

Typical."
Not the one you reference in an attempt to distract from your obvious carburetor ignorance and your repeated trolling.

Your 1608 design carb was replaced in production OVER 50 YEARS AGO by the ThermoQuad. And for good reason. The ThermoQuads are a superior and more modern design. The new Street Demons take that original design to the next level by adding even more design features and correcting some of the original's flaws. But again, you wouldn't know about that. You can't be bothered with facts, you are too busy sidetracking another thread with your trolling while ignoring the O.P.'s clearly stated preferences.

The old CarterBrocks are good carbs. And the 1st Gen Hemis are good engines. too. But there are simply better, modern alternatives of each available today.

Your lack of experience betrays you on this subject and reduces you to attempting insults to cover that lack of experience.
38 1,806 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/20/24 12:06 AM
A guy I've known since '89 has made a lot of $$$ with his line of automotive tools.
A couple are copies of someone else's, most are improved versions, and a couple are his own ideas.
Most of it he has made in India, and some gauges he sources from China.
He quality-checks all of it, and there's a % of send-back - more on the Chinese stuff than the Indian.
Been that way since before I met him. He says having the stuff made in the US would render him un-competitive.
His market is at the lower-price end, as that's the volume needed.
Near as I can tell, his profit margin runs 50-100% depending on the item, and a number of places retail his stuff, including Summit & Jeg's.
He's an adept & clever businessman, and has also made a ton of money in commercial property.
He registers original things as opposed to patenting them, because he says patent attys are too expensive, the process takes too long, and if someone changes one thing they can knock his stuff off.
Registering things is more protective, he says.

I'm not endorsing or slamming, just providing info as told to me.
25 1,738 Read More
04/20/24 12:04 AM
Ahh, gotcha now, thank you
21 1,277 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/19/24 11:59 PM
Chevy starter shims are made to be swapped without dropping the starter. It is done by removing the outer bolt and loosening the inner one. The shims are open on the inner end and have a bolt hole on the outer. The idea is for the starter to engage without grinding. https://www.amazon.com/chevy-starter-shims/s?k=chevy+starter+shims
29 1,178 Read More
04/19/24 11:46 PM
Well, one can expect a fevered argument on carbs, oil, and tires, as I alluded to earlier.
One buddy of mine with a healthy Mopar crate 360 absolutely swears by his Street Demon, with the passion one sees from Tesla advocates.
The car I'm currently building has a 340 with a 237/240 @ .050 & .474 lift cam and headers, and the PO dropped an OOTB Eddy 1406 on it.
Runs crisply & cleanly, plugs look very good from street driving.
I'm swapping it out for my Holley 750 as part of the efforts to speed the car up for bracket racing, but I'm gonna hang onto it for awhile.
38 1,806 Read More
04/19/24 11:32 PM
Thanks for the further input. I was really enjoying the debate between DaveRS23 & Sniper with both of you making valid points worth considering. Then you guys went to the banter and tarnished it a bit. frown But seriously, thank you both for your input just the same. It was educational for me and I am sure will be for others as well.

BDW, thank you for the link. That is a deal. If I can make up my mind before it is gone.

Neal & FurryStump- You are both right. I'm not afraid of a little tuning and expect any choice will need dialed in. Jets, metering rods, etc, for the TQ's are just not readily available anymore is why I'm looking away from the beloved TQ. And I am currently in one of those spots where my time is more valuable to me than even the price of a new carb. At least in the $500 & down range of the group I opened with. The AVS2 with the annular boosters as an evolution interested me and why I am considering them. However, being a fan of the TQ as Dave rightfully pointed out, the SD is very tempting to try. And has been testified to by multiples, the 1406 is a solid piece too. It's good to have choices.

I just want the OOB to start, run, and be drivable. I tried tuning this thing with that shot TQ on it and gave up. Once I get a carb on it that while not idle at 700 rpm with the primaries fully closed, (the throttle shaft leak is massive) I'll have a better chance at getting this little engine dialed in. Right now the idle is 700 to 1300 depending on how the primary shaft rotates back on let off.
38 1,806 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/19/24 11:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys ! I have not bought a performance converter since like early 2000’s so I had no idea !
15 1,097 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/19/24 11:25 PM
Good post. The video is worth a watch it's a good insight to companies that design and manufacture specific products. If nothing else it's a good warning to do some research before buying some of these products.
You wouldn't expect to get a knock off from a company like Summitt so good for them for stepping up.
25 1,738 Read More
04/19/24 11:24 PM
I got my new Impact 1320 in time to use it on Sick Week. It had the m6 threads to mount the Hans stuff. I'm very pleased with it.
49 4,303 Read More
04/19/24 11:03 PM
WOW that was a good catch for sure
13 1,169 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/19/24 10:51 PM
No idea if it's still there or even if it's what I was told but a little over 20 yrs. ago I spotted a '70 Coronet 'vert under a tarp in a side yard.Tarp was in sad shape and falling through the top frame. Taillights were visible through the tarp also. Mentioned it to a friend who lived close to it and was told it was a 440-6, 4 spd. R/T and could not be bought for any price. IIRC, it was either V2 or K2. I've always wanted to go back through there but never have.
EDIT: This was just south of Jackson, GA if this car rings a bell with anyone.
52 6,908 Read More
04/19/24 10:50 PM
I went with those heads you describe because factory look .if I could have had a set made in USA I would have bought thos.maybe we need an American company copy those lol
49 4,806 Read More
04/19/24 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Good deal.

I had always thought they were one in the same but just a name change in the public view. Unless they changed in the last two years the heads all have the PCE part numbers. The sets ive got from 2012 is identical to the 2022 castings. Not sure if I have the 2012 invoice to see if it says PC or SM. Such junk castings from 2012 are still going strong and getting abused. whistling

Not that any of it matters. Ive looked at some of the stuff you have done on fabo. I should probably look on fabo but did you ever plug and re drill for offset pushrods/rockers?

I’ve done it an recommend not doing it. The pinch isn’t the problem. Edelbrock or Speedmaster heads can and will flow over 330cfm with a 2.08 valve without moving the pinch. Stock rocker offset.
49 4,806 Read More
04/19/24 10:47 PM
My 67 Coronet 500 383 AC car was just a tad under 3800 lbs - 4025 with me in it.
15 1,020 Read More
Page 34 of 39 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 38 39