Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Corners Are Best - Handling Tech
04/25/24 01:47 AM
So do inline (V8) powered motorcycles have that same torque reaction?
A transverse motor orientation is the ideal I suppose.
21 2,977 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/25/24 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by poorboy

Yep, I believe drilling the mounting holes a bit larger diameter solved that problem, it seems to me the threaded holes in the 273 and the 318 heads were at a slightly different angles. Opening up the holes on the intake allowed the bolts to be threaded into the heads and the slight difference in the angles didn't cause any sealing issues. But it was a long time ago.

Exactly right, that's how I put a Performer intake on my 65 273.
7 455 Read More
Moparts Question and Answer
04/25/24 01:36 AM
1972 is when net horsepower numbers were generally given.

Before that it was gross horsepower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#SAE_gross_power
6 251 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/25/24 01:31 AM
I like it! It fits the car well. up
69 4,864 Read More
04/25/24 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by hulmule
Hard to find a few things out there. I see guys that have swapped out to V8 and a lot of 6 motors laying around. Dont gain much HP . Bought the truck to put together and sell to someone who cant or doesnt want to work on them. Going thru all the systems, new brakes, lines , have it running, nice rust free body. Its growing on me but i was a 57 year. Wish i knew the options on each year. Why chrome on thing and painted on other.

These old Dodge trucks do grow on you.

A great soft cover book that provides a lot of information about Dodge trucks:
Dodge Pickups
history and Restoration Guide
1918 - 1971
By Don Bunn and Tom Broenell
The book provides a break down of Dodge trucks by "eras" between the introduction of Dodge trucks in 1918 up to the end of the 1971 model year. An "era" of a Dodge truck is the time period between one major redesign and the next major redesign. Each era provides a history of the truck industry and the reasons of the need for the new design. It breaks down the list of standard equipment, and the list of optional parts. It lists major mechanical advancements and body modifications year by year in each era. There were a huge list eras and of changes the Dodge truck line went through between 1939 and 1958. It even provides how much of the truck market share the Dodge trucks had through the process, and things that may have effected those changes.

I'm sure the book is no longer in print, but maybe you can buy a used copy. I know I have wore out the binding on my book searching for information. I'm also sure there are some inaccuracies (as there are in most books of this kind), but there is a wealth of info in the book.

As a side note. Those 49-54 Dodge trucks had a huge front end that did a better job blocking the wind then it did splitting it up to go around the truck. Trucks of that era were primarily work trucks, and most of them were used to haul something from point A to point B, and the speed was generally 45-50 mph. At those speeds, the wind resistance was not an issue, but driving one of these trucks at 60 mph, that poor wind resistance becomes a factor. If you are driving into a head wind, that flathead 6 might not be able to reach 60 mph (brutal facts), If the truck is carrying a max load and driving into a head wind, it might not be able to reach 50 mph! Pull a hill loaded up? Maybe 40-45, but the wind is no longer much of a factor. There were reasons a V8 was an added option by May of the 1954 model year. The V8 could push that loaded poor aero body through the head wind at higher speeds then the 65 mph speed limit. You knew when the loaded truck hit the hill, but you didn't loose 1/2 your speed.

The flathead 6 was a great motor. Chrysler used them for many years, then the flathead went into industrial use, but starting in the mid 30s the HP and cubic inch increased regularly and by the end of the flathead 6 truck age, a 265 CI 110 HP version was available. The available V8s during that time frame were rated at nearly 2x the 265 HP rating. The way HP was rated changed in the early 60s, changed from a max HP (off the flywheel) to a net HP (through the drive train). Comparing the old HP numbers to the new HP numbers is inaccurate. Most flathead 6 motors were rated at max HP while most modern V8s are rated at net HP.
6 251 Read More
Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech
04/25/24 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Hard to watch with it being so much political opinion and not much more. He also thinks we never went to the moon. down

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Uncle Tony on SpeedMaster and the Chinese invasion:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPQHbnh0Hr0

I agree with much of what he has to say on this subject, but I certainly DO NOT agree with his 'fix' at the end. Do you?

As I said; his 'fix' at the end was just nuts. But, he did make some solid points throughout.
49 4,551 Read More
04/25/24 01:17 AM
L.A.C.R., AKA Palmdale, use to post on their flyers about the bigger bracket races that pay out was base on how many cars were enter into each bracket and would show the amounts like S/P winners $500.00 based on 32 car field and so on up
They did pay way better than the tracks up here in the northwest in Division 6 up bow shruggy
27 1,798 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/25/24 01:17 AM
That looks great and a cool choice. up
69 4,864 Read More
04/25/24 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by moparx
member Sniper is working on a "two single" intake that will use two single throat fuel injection throttle bodies and split exhaust manifold [fenton headers maybe ?] for his '52 [i think ?] dodge.
not sure what engine he has in it, other than it's a flathead 6.
perhaps he will see this thread and chime in ?
beer

It's a 51 Plymouth that has it's original 218. However, and this is where you are remembering, I have the 230 out of a 52 Dodge I am hopping up to put in her.

Yes, there are performance parts for the flat head 6, specifically the 23 inch version. Which is prbably what is in your truck, If you can tell me the engine number ( stamped on a machined pad the front of the driver's side of the block, just below the deck surface) I will tell you what you have.

I have, new production,the following

High compression aluminum head Mopar Vintage speed is the source
Dual 1bbl intake, it's a Thickstun intake made by the original designer's son, Ebay, he runs a batch off every so often, though I have not seen one recently. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?ssPageName=&_ssn=eastcheam842
Split cast iron exhaust manifolds (basically Fenton copies). This was from Langdon's, but he's no longer in the game. He also made an HEI based distributor.

No one makes new cams, but several companies can put a performance regrind on yours.

You can use a slant six distributor and your existing points one to make an electronic ignition distributor. Modern production points suck horribly. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mopar-flathead-6-distributor-upgrade-48-desoto.653565/

Vintage Power wagons has stock type replacement engine parts, but is also one of the performance cam sources.

On facebook, The Freewheeling Tony Smith is a machinist that specializes in the Mopar flatheads and sells some parts, as well as a very helpful fellow.

For general truck parts of that era https://dcmclassics.com/

I can help on the engine performance questions, but the truck specific stuff, not so much,

Anyway, here's the build thread on my 51 https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2789776/1.html

A shot of the EFI set up on the bench

[Linked Image]

6 251 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/25/24 01:13 AM
Like Shelby? Norm? Who's left..
1 53 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/25/24 01:10 AM
What are your thoughts regarding a celebrity signing your car? Does it add to the value, or who cares?
1 53 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/25/24 12:46 AM
I picked one...

Pretty happy with the final product...

Phony Funny seemed appropriate...
69 4,864 Read More
Member Projects & Survivor Pictures
04/25/24 12:42 AM
There has been some progress but since work picked up things aren't going as fast as usual on the car...

I ordered a driveshaft and have it here to install...

In case anyone's curious it ended up 32 3/4" long...

I sent the car out and had it lettered...

Finally decided on a name for it too...
213 113,139 Read More
04/25/24 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by S&J Butler
Been working on a 73 Satellite 400/727. It had an ignition condenser on it when I bought it but I was wondering if it is necessary with electronic ignition. If not is there any benefit/drawback to having it anyway? Thanks in advance for any help.

there is no ignition condenser in the electronic ignition system. What you are thinking is it is in reality a noise suppressor designed to keep ignition noise out of the radio.
1 49 Read More
04/25/24 12:27 AM
Been working on a 73 Satellite 400/727. It had an ignition condenser on it when I bought it but I was wondering if it is necessary with electronic ignition. If not is there any benefit/drawback to having it anyway? Thanks in advance for any help.
1 49 Read More
04/25/24 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish#2
Was considering building a stroked 340 and was considering the Promaxx heads CNC'd with 2.08" valves. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the valves that come with them. Was wondering if they are a quality valve. I think they are Ferrea valves. Not sure if they were imported for them or if they are indeed Ferrea valves. Hope I am spelling that right. Thought maybe they used an import valve thru ferrea to put into the heads?? Any info would be appriciated. Thanks.

Ferrea itself is an imported valve. Think they are made in South America if I remember right.
3 106 Read More
04/25/24 12:16 AM
All companies make errors. This is a Ferrea valve that should of been finished.
3 106 Read More
04/25/24 12:12 AM
I cant say 100% but im pretty sure they are not ferrea valves, ya know a simple email to promax would solve any doubt.

They show a spec of the valves they use which is the spec on many SS valves from all over. Some of the shops on the tube also do impartial reviews on heads and one even commented they did not seem like ferrea by the part numbers and quality. (It was a PM shocker but for a chevy) I know all the ferrea valves I use are laser marked with ferrea or there PN and the vids ive watched show nothing close but more like a common spec valve sold by many.

Pro max should have a china flag as a backdrop on there website. Yes I know most stuff is at least cast in china and many cant help it but look at there oem casting section, not usa products.

Understand im not dogging promax as many companies are kinda screwed into working with china castings and forgings (most our stroker kit parts) ect..

But just email mail them and ask, im sure you will get an honest reply because thats in there best interest.
3 106 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/24/24 11:59 PM
We had stuffed cabbage with red sauce, dumplings, and coleslaw. It was very good.
129 10,077 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/24/24 11:50 PM
Big John and the kielbasa kid?I just looked it up.lol drive
129 10,077 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/24/24 11:36 PM
I was there with a friend of mine in his 1963 Dart conv. Did the cruise on Friday . Show was Saturday and Sunday

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JK4zTb4q6P49EGqN6
1 104 Read More
04/24/24 11:30 PM
Was considering building a stroked 340 and was considering the Promaxx heads CNC'd with 2.08" valves. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the valves that come with them. Was wondering if they are a quality valve. I think they are Ferrea valves. Not sure if they were imported for them or if they are indeed Ferrea valves. Hope I am spelling that right. Thought maybe they used an import valve thru ferrea to put into the heads?? Any info would be appriciated. Thanks.
3 106 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
04/24/24 11:30 PM
Kielbasa kid?No I don't think so...
129 10,077 Read More
04/24/24 11:22 PM
This would be a stroked 340 block to a 414 or 416 cu in. They are not speedmaster they are promaxx.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try the race section.
5 404 Read More
04/24/24 11:10 PM
i am a pro I-Car certified autobody tech.
the VW certified shop i work at has a welder that welds aluminum, silicon bronze and mig with the same unit. there are 3 different wire feeds and torch ends. it also electronically adjust itself and uses pulse tech for better welds..

this is the welder. i THINK the purchase price was around $20K. https://prospot.com/products/sp-5.3/

mig welding with silicon bronze is referred to a MIG BRAZING welding.

i weld patches with silicon bronze ALL the time. it works excellent for that. the best part is their is significantly less warpage with it. it also works fantastic for butt joint welding.
also I-Car recommends using silicon bronze for welding ultra high strength steel in certain areas. they also highly recommend using it when welding near ultra high strength steel.
also when when MIG Brazing use longer stick out to pre heat the wire so it flows under the panels for better adhesion.

i am not sure how you would set up a regular mig to weld silicon bronze properly. i can tell you using silicon bronze has faster wire speed with less voltage than regular mig welding. also when welding with silicon bronze the finish welds look significantly colder than a mig weld.
3 239 Read More
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6