Quote:

Okay, this just further bolsters my search for a 68-69 4bbl 383 runner to stab in my Challenger. I'd read that positive deck bit in a couple Mopar mags as well, always wondered about it. All my 383's have been newer, and the one 69 i had was a 2bbl engine... i seem to remember that one being around .030" below deck on average. Mine was particularly bad though... deck heights were bloody all over the place.

SOOO... reading all this what i'm taking from this is that there IS a way to build a super-cheapo zero-deck or at least hokey quench engine. Find a 68-69 383 4bbl engine, pick a head gasket that will give around .040" quench and bolt some closed chamber heads on.

Is it really that simple...???

Also, are we talking ALL 68-69 383 4bbl engines here, or ONLY the actual HP engines...???

I have said engine for you. It is in great shape too.

Anyway this isnt the classifieds section but I can tell you that all 68-69 4 barrel motors, regardless of HP or not, shared the same pistons.

The 2 barrel motors use different pistons. Just confirms everything JohnRR has been preaching. He is correct tho. The one motor that I have ripped apart was not positive deck height.

Dan

67 charger