Quote:

Okay, this just further bolsters my search for a 68-69 4bbl 383 runner to stab in my Challenger. I'd read that positive deck bit in a couple Mopar mags as well, always wondered about it. All my 383's have been newer, and the one 69 i had was a 2bbl engine... i seem to remember that one being around .030" below deck on average. Mine was particularly bad though... deck heights were bloody all over the place.

SOOO... reading all this what i'm taking from this is that there IS a way to build a super-cheapo zero-deck or at least hokey quench engine. Find a 68-69 383 4bbl engine, pick a head gasket that will give around .040" quench and bolt some closed chamber heads on.

Is it really that simple...???

Also, are we talking ALL 68-69 383 4bbl engines here, or ONLY the actual HP engines...???

I have a 69 383 2bbl piston here , it's the same height as the 4bbl piston but it has a Shallow round dish , if I get bored I'll cc it.

There are 2 68/69 383 4bbl engines , one is Stamped HP , the other is not , but it is an HP engine with the 2bbl cam instead of the 440/375HP cam.

So yes , 68-69 4bbl shortblock , felpro composite gasket and a closed chamber head with 80cc chamber will net you a 10.0ish engine. A 70 will have the piston a little lower in the bore , I don't know how much, 71 will be even worse it appears. Otherwise plan on decking if you use the Speedpro , Diamond or KB flat top to get zero.

If you weren't on the other side of the planet I have an original 69 383 HP shortblock that would do exactly what you want.