Quote:

Hey:

Don't mean to start a war, but I'm at the point where I need to decide between a big block and a small block stroker for my Challenger. Of course, the car already has a small block in it, so that gives the stroker idea a bit of a break.

On the other hand, I have access to some complete late 60s 440s (that I would rebuild), so that might help. Unfortunately don't think I would be able to stroke the big block.

My goals are apparently ambitious. I want to run mid 10.50s with the car, non gutted with cal-tracs. I also want to run a streetable gear (3.55), and would like it to be fun on the street (aka torque). A buddy of mine is running mid 10s with his (ahem) Ford 408 stroker street car and a 3.55, so I cant imagine it would be too big a problem hp wise - except that the heads for small block Fords are pretty awesome by comparison to what's readily available for Mopar.

I am not real aware of what kind of real world horsepower and torque the LA strokers make. My big concern is the reasonably priced cylinder heads (LA-X, or maybe Eddies) limiting the total horsepower capability.

To be fair, I know next to nothing about Big Block heads either, so maybe they're flow limited also, and again, I'd have to buy big block swap parts and a 727 to replace my 904-unless someone knows of a good adapter setup.

Also curious about how much weight difference there would be between a small block and big block.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

The question I'd ask is whether the SB stroker will make enough torque in a usable range (ie: street duty) to allow the 3.55 and whatever tire you settle on to be the gear to use, given the rest of your goals. I don't think there's any doubt the BB stroker can do it...then there's the power to weight ratio. A bb with the right parts ends up weighing as much as an iron head small block, but how much does the similarly lightened SB weigh? In other words, given the same lightening techniques for both motors, which has a better power to weight ratio?