Quote:

I understand that a bigger motor can theoretically make more power, but that isn't actually the question I asked.

Obviously, if I could afford to build a big block stroker, that's what I would do, but I can't.

So I'm stuck between building up a big block, or a 360 stroker and making use of the small block parts I've got.

If I go with the stroker, I get to utilize a lot of small block stuff I've already got. Good headers, oil pan, dizzy, valve covers, crap like that.

If I go big block, I don't have to buy a stroker kit, but I'll need an oil pan, headers, 727, etc.

The two things are close enough that I could swing either one in a pinch, I just don't know which is likely to make more power, and is a big block going to make enough extra to offset the extra weight?

In my opinion if you can't afford to buy good heads for the BB then I'd go with the SB. A low deck aluminum head, W/P and manifold BB is probably comparable to an iron head small block. Then when you add the extra weight of the 727 over the 904 I think the SB might be a better option for you. Having said that though, once you have the BB in there you can always upgrade parts later, tough call. Ultimately the BB will make more power if you want to upgrade down the road.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.