Quote:

Did you confirm that the fuel is squirting as soon as the spring is depressed?
I had a vacuum secondary carb that I had to shim the primary side spring to get it to work properly too.

Yes, it is squirting right away. The spring compresses and then slowly lets out.

Quote:

"My highway ping is still there (though it seems better in some ways) and I'd like to fix it."

If you are still getting the ping at highway cruise/WOT, and since you are running the orange pump cam, then a larger squirter would delivery that pump shot quicker. I would try a 035 or a 040 (with hollow screw) for your next testing. If one of these fixes the ping, then you can back down on your main jetting as long as your plugs are looking good. Your pump cam might get smaller too with the bigger squirter.
It appears that it wants more fuel but the guess is "when" it wants more fuel.

If it is pinging at WOT I cannot hear it. The ping starts when I am running around 75mph in 3rd and have to increase the throttle a tad to go up hill or pick up speed a little more. Then it rattles like a coffee can full of bolts. I would guess engine speed is about 2700rpm based on gear and tire size. Engine vacuum is still over 15inhg when this happens. If I get into the throttle more I can make the rattle go away. I'm guessing still to lean on the primary side. I'm currently still running the 78 jets on the primary and 84 on the secondary. I did drive the truck today and will check some plugs when I gethome.

Quote:

The "straight" type are basically first design, and are for straight boosters. The "tube" type was developed to aim a straighter stream of fuel against the booster, usually a dropped booster venturi. As the fuel hits the booster venturi, it atomizes better than the straight type.

I have also read that most cases you can use the style that the carb came with.

Mine came with the straight types, so I guess I'll go with that.