Well, the verdict is in...I drove the Charger to work today (100 miles round trip) with the new intake gaskets and...SUCCESS!!! It worked!! Normally it would have used 1/2 quart and this trip it used ZERO!! I'm very happy and thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions!! This is a great Christmas present!! Now I can use the cash to redo the interior!

JohnRR and BSB67 were right. There weren't enough gaskets to take up the space and oil and vacuum were leaking. Unfortunately it's not running as well now, I think due to the fact that the carbs were adjusted for a lean condition...now there's no leak so it's running a bit rich and blubbering a little but that's a relatively easy fix...and it's certainly driveable.

I ended up using one .030 fiber gasket on each side of the pan with Hi-Tack to hold them in place. I also put a bead of Ultra Black silicone on the end rails and corners. I also smeared a very thin coat of the silicine on the very inside sealing edges of the heads and gaskets, trying not to get it near the intake ports.

One lesson I'm taking from this is there isn't necessarily one definite gasket setup that can cover all situations. You will have to experiment to see which will work. It's probably best - as was mentioned - to have the thick and thin gaskets at hand to be ready.

Thanks again!!