Quote:

I've been thinking and it seems no one has asked where a quart of oil per 200 miles is going. That much oil would cause the plugs to foul real fast, a big cloud of smoke should be following you every where, and the motor won't run right. The O. P. says the motor runs fine. Is there a quart of oil on the ground or sitting under the intake? That is a lot of oil, where is it going? Are you putting in 5 or 6 quarts to begin with? Is you dip stick accurate? A lot of good info on sealing the intake, but is this the real problem?

Those are all good questions and ones I've asked myself many times.
Many things don't make sense or act as if they should. It does run really good except it starts hard when it's hot. It does smoke some under heavy acceleration but mostly when I let off the gas. But I agree, there should be a cloud of smoke all the time. It leaks virtually no oil, no puddles anywhere. I've pulled the plugs a few times and there is some fouling but not like you would think. As far as oil capacity, there is some question because I have never been able to identify the oil pan I have (maybe someone can help)

The sump depth is the same as the stock pan I think (5-1/4" approx.) but the rear part is much deeper (2-3/4" approx.). I installed a new 440 dip stick and it takes about 7 qts. with filter to get it to the full line. In theory it shouldn't matter how deep the pan is as long as the oil is at the correct level in relation to the crank right? My first thought was that I was overfilling it, so I let it go below the "1 qt. low" mark but it just kept dropping. I was afraid of running it out of oil so I filled it back up. A sign of overfilling is foaming of the oil while running which I checked but it looked good when I pulled the dip stick. Believe me, it has me baffled too. I've tried all types of PCV and breather arrangements, new valve stem seals, etc. and nothing has made a difference. It's either the intake gaskets or a rebuild...