Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The disadvantage the Hemi has is NOT from quench.......it's from terrible valve angles (for a naturally aspirated application) and piston weight...........and the ONLY reason Hemi's do well in Super Stock is because they have two carbs, instead of one like the Chevy's.....

Terrible valve angles...

2 carbs

In the last few years NHRA has allowed '64 Hemi cars to run 1 carb in A/stock as long as it's a 1964 NASCAR intake. From what I'm seeing they run pretty darn good for antiques.

Your carb answer is a moot point since they never orginally made any single carb drag or street packages and can't be proven.

It's proven everyday, on race tracks everywhere. The SS/AH combo is a bad hombre, don't get me wrong, BUT, if you let a 427 Chevy weigh the same and get a sheetmetal intake, with two carbs, you might be singing another tune............I am as MOPAR as anybody, but I am also a realist and I know, just because it is a Mopar, does not automatically make it the fastest, or the most powerful. As Wayne said, the HEMI was king in its day, because of shear airflow, but the design itself is not the greatest. If it was, why is it, the wedge engines rule in N/A classes.............Call the NEW HEMI whatever you want, but it is basically a "twisted wedge" chamber and is NOT hemispherical at all.

Monte

Going to have to respectively disagree on a few points listed above.
1st. Nothing terrible about the valve angles in ANY application other than high static compression ratios. So, yea, they're terrible for max CR racing classes. Other than that, they're very good valve angles. They are the primary reason that 426 style heads have the best (not about the best) fuel dispersion of any head I've ever seen. Although overlap flow is universally thought to be why these heads are so nitro-friendly, I'm pretty sure the fuel dispersion is also a major factor. The reason the 426 type head is so good is actually pretty simple. 426's are shrouded straight long. The exhaust valve, at high lifts shrouds the intake flow. It's unshrouded on each side. The center of the short side is shrouded by the bore, but this helps control the expansion rate there. The bore on the short side actually helps flow. The result of the unshrouded sides is, enough extra side-flow to pull fuel out of the direction the port is pointed in. Any other type of head we've tested concentrates the fuel to some degree. A properly prepped 426 doesn't. The steep angles are the reason. Boss Fords are twisted, and lack shrouding toward the center of the chamber due to shallow valve angles. It is very noticeable when wet flow testing. Hemi 99's same deal. The small chambers and squish outweigh the wet flow advantages in high CR applications. But a nice long valve really high port casting with 426 valve angles would be great anywhere else.

2nd. Monte, if we use the "classic" chamber definitions, then you're right. A genIII hemi is not a hemi. But, using the same standards, a wedge is defined by being able to slice a chamber in half and have a deep end and a shallow end. A 6.1 isn't a wedge. With direct opposing valves, it ain;t twisted either. It would be a classic narrow valve angle hemi without the squish pads. So, I think it's a lot closer to a hemi than a wedge. With the straight-on ports and centered valve locations, it is not a wedge, as demonstrated by the just completer enginemasters competition.