Quote:

Big Squeeze/Monte- I respectfully disagree with your statements comparing Chevy 427 SS vs a Hemi. If both motors were run at an equal HP factor/weight and both were allowed the same intakes and carbs, the Hemi would still spank the Chevy. The only way the Chevy can run with me is because they weigh 150+ lbs less than me (Street Hemi Combo). I could trade my 2 625 carters for their 1 850 Holley, remove the weight and still outrun them. If they were allowed another 400 cfm, same compression, and same race weight, I would still outrun them. The Chevy would have to gain 30-40 HP with the 400 cfm increase in order to make up the weight penalty, not gonna happen. If you wish to compare the Race Hemi version instead, simply look at the AH cars vs the AA chevys- the Chevy motors are rated at way less HP, yet they run .2-.4 slower- do you really think that another 710 cfm (2-780 vs 1-850)would allow the Chevy to make 60-120 HP more? Depending on which version of the Chevy 427 used, they would also have to add significant weight to their combo, so they would need to make even more power. While I do agree that the large surface area of the Hemi chamber creates a longer burn time, the valve layout affords sufficient breathing to eliminate the disadvantage. Now, in the Pro Stock world of unobtanium parts, yes, a head can be designed with all the Hemi advantages and all the wedge advantages, clearly superior to the 55 year old technology that I run.

I understand everything you are saying, but I was not referring to anything, based on the NHRA factored HP system. Let's do it this way. 426 HEMI, 427 Chevy, same weight car, sheetmetal intakes, two Holleys and any stock valve angle, stock port layout head they choose. Who you got???? That is as apples to apples as it comes.

Monte