Quote:

Quote:

You have to remember as well that the Hemi's had the inverted shock towers where the Max Wedges did not, so they could not be "leftover Max Wedge" bodies. This wouldn't even be possible if you think about it. The cars came down the line with every other Slant 6, 318, 361 and etc. They were not sequentially tagged.

The only reason I could see these cars being built is to sway Nascar, since the teams were running hardtops in '64.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough when I said these cars were left over max-wedge bodies, perhaps I should have said they were "max-wedge ordered cars". The reason I said this is because it is a known fact that some customers that had placed a order for a new max-wedge car, but they received a new Race Hemi instead! So technically wouldn't that now mean that the max-wedge ordered cars were now modified with the shock towers, hemi hood scoops, etc. Does that make any more sense now?

There may be something to your other point though, does anyone out there know if the 64 Nascar rules said anything on the total number of cars needed to be build before you were allowed to race, (just like the 69-70 wing car rule.)

I believe the first part of your statement is true if I'm understanding the story of the Ferguson car. He ordered a Max Wedge and they built him an early hemi car. He drove it home from the factory.

Regarding Nascar rules on production, I believe that refers to models and not specific engines in those models...so the 64 hardtops are eligible for Nascar.

Enjoy the thread, some of the 2000 hits are mine...

Tom

68 Charger
70 Cuda